Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. I, the legend of car computers, yet again need more testers!

Lately most of the work has been on our own system, Gatekeeper (a new OBD2 adapter), and Vortex (the software). This kind of put Gretio, the older app using obdlinks, to be put on hold.

But that has changed. Gretio is going to take a much lighter form than it was planned originally, but it'll still get most of the functionality people want. It's really just going to be a filler while the other newer things are being developed.

Plus it's free!.

The app will be published as an open beta, meaning you can simply download it and participate. BiScan owners will have the premium level. It's only for Android, although technically iOS will work as a slave device via a web portal.

Features will be fairly limited since more work is being done toward GateKeeper/Vortex. It won't support controls. It'll also will be a bit unstable. Although the app is very good about detecting errors, it doesn't have very many recovery methods beyond start/restart the app. Things should be improved in time.
There is also a whopping two gauges you can use, maybe 3 or 4 depending on how much time I have. But the dashboard system is very fluid like and easy to use. It's kind of like Torques but more modern and simpler.

This app is made to be universal, so anyone can participate as long as it is a GM car produced from 2009 to maybe 2020 if not later.

First version will be released VERY soon™. With further improvements and features being added over time as time is available.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
I might be in, as I have an interest in engineering/programming. Does this work with a standard Bluetooth adapter that someone might be using to run Torque, or do I need to buy a specific dongle?

Android isn't a problem I have an S8.

Is this primary diesel development and PID's or are you doing support for the GEN 1 1.4L? I know your earlier posts/work were around diesels. The 2.0 GEN 1 diesel if I recall correctly.

·
Premium Member
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I might be in, as I have an interest in engineering/programming. Does this work with a standard Bluetooth adapter that someone might be using to run Torque, or do I need to buy a specific dongle?

Android isn't a problem I have an S8.

Is this primary diesel development and PID's or are you doing support for the GEN 1 1.4L? I know your earlier posts/work were around diesels. The 2.0 GEN 1 diesel if I recall correctly.

it only supports Bluetooth OBDLINK right now. Ie LX or MX would or MX+. The LX works fine. ATM it does support SW CAN on the backend but there’s some strings attached.

It auto scans the vehicle and makes a personalized list of PIDs. So it works on any GM vehicle. Having said that most of the nice PIDs are oriented at diesels but it still works extremely well for gasses.

·
Registered
876 Posts
I'd be interested in testing it (I used to be a QA tech lead at SGI for the File Serving Systems group), and intrigued to see if, "every GM vehicle since 2009," includes the tweaked Daewoo Premiere Lacetti, aka the Generation 0 Cruze, sold in Oz and Africa and Europe long before it made it to the USA :)

·
Premium Member
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey everyone.

I looked into it some more and I can get the elms to sort of work. It will be shaky and require the elms to be in tip top shape. It will only work with certain modules as well... Like the ECM and such. No BCM access or anything like that.

But that means Gretio can be a full replacement for BiScan. Which I think alot of people will enjoy.

Not sure if ill have it done by the first release but at some point it will be.

·
Premium Member
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Kinda having a good-bad reaction to one of my meds. Good in that they are working. Bad in that they are working just a bit tooooooooo well.

I'll be better soon(tm).

·
Premium Member
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've been feeling better. Sort of. Beyond drug issues I got sick which is buckets of fun.

But! I have been working on it some more.

ATM my biggest focus is stability and more error-fixing and making things a little more user friendly.
Video update is fun

·
Premium Member
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
It's released!!!!

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.surrealdev.max

Remember you need an OBDLINK device which are kinda spendy but it's worth it. Also an android phone or tablet. Preferably somewhat new. Any modern low to mid range phone/tablet should be fine. My test device has a Snapdragon 450 (pretty low tier).

To setup you first need to pair the adapter through your phone settings.
Then you open the app and tap the far right bottom icon (more menu).
Tap OBD2 Settings.
Tap Link New Device
Tap the device (it should be in the list)

At this point the service is probably complaining no adapters found. It will not automatically try again so you need to swipe down on the notifications and tap retry (sometimes the buttons are hidden and you need to do something fancy to make it show up). Any other issue will pop up like that too. I know its annoying that its in the notification, I'm working on an easier way.

And now it 'should' work. Tap the center menu (modules) and see if there are some modules listed. If not you can swipe down to refresh the list. If they never show up, something is wrong.

Once you have some modules you can go to the dashboard (main screen) and start playing around. Tap and hold your finger on any blank part of the screen to add an instrument. Tap and hold an instrument to move/resize it. Pretty straight forward.

If you get any annoying issues you can complain here, or on the contact email, or facebook. Make sure you sound angry. It motivates me.

Have fun!

·
Reverend Red Bull
1,017 Posts
I was one of your bi-scan testers and just upgraded from a cheap Ebay ELM to a OBDLink MX+

Just added this app to give it a try.

Also sent you an email about another feature that would be a great add-on to your app(s).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just came across this. I have an OBDLINK MX - holden cruze (aussie) 2014 2.0 diesel - korean engine (vcdi)
Will test it out and report back.

·
Premium Member
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just came across this. I have an OBDLINK MX - holden cruze (aussie) 2014 2.0 diesel - korean engine (vcdi)
Will test it out and report back.
Should work fine on those. Maybe I’ll peak around a little and see if they have any specific PIDs for those engines for those next updates. 🙂

·
Premium Member
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Finally added code pulling to the app. Some pics here of it in action. Also can do some basic info like vin, software info, and CVN history. Works on most modules annnnd has definitions for most codes.

Fair warning although it's the same principal of a traditional code reader it's a bit more advanced. Of course that's what makes it amazing.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've done some testing. Here's some feedback.
I find it's a much more simple and clean layout than torque. Love that you can see exactly what's supported when adding an instrument.

Sometimes when adding an instrument I would receive an error that the request timed out - probably half the time. The other half it would list all the available data sources. (Ensured lijnk to OBD MX was active - couldn't work out why it would timeout)

I used it every day for a week, as well as occasionally and by the end of that week I got annoyed at the welcome page (I know it's only one button but it would be so much better if there were a checkbox to permanently add an acknowledgement of the experimental version)

I really like the pull-down notification of interfacing with the OBD device when connecting

In short, great app. However there's one thing that the latest update did. I have been testing out the app on my phone (Android 9) as well as on an in-car install of a Nexus 7 (Android 6). Everything was working great until your update with the code pulling (tested this morning)
As soon as the OBD devices is connected and I either try to add a data source or view the instruments, Gretio crashes. Now I know it's an old device so I dont expect it to work necessarily but I thought I'd feed it back to. I will test out the new wifi capabilities to link the OBD to phone then wifi to the tablet as a workaround. I'll report back.
I am also happy to test out anythign specific that would help!

Anyway thanks for your hard work - I really enjoy the app.

PS if there is any way you can work out getting the DPF PIDs (or even the soot mass one) to work in the Korean Engine I'd be very grateful!

·
Premium Member
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I've done some testing. Here's some feedback.
I find it's a much more simple and clean layout than torque. Love that you can see exactly what's supported when adding an instrument.

Sometimes when adding an instrument I would receive an error that the request timed out - probably half the time. The other half it would list all the available data sources. (Ensured lijnk to OBD MX was active - couldn't work out why it would timeout)
I believe I got that mostly fixed in one of the latest updates. iirc it was still using the old system instead of the parallel system which would sometimes lead to timeouts. It'll still probably happen and I need to put in some fault tolerances but since its very easy to just pull down and refresh its not a top concern at the moment.

I used it every day for a week, as well as occasionally and by the end of that week I got annoyed at the welcome page (I know it's only one button but it would be so much better if there were a checkbox to permanently add an acknowledgement of the experimental version)
I'll remove it when I'm comfortable. :unsure:

I really like the pull-down notification of interfacing with the OBD device when connecting

In short, great app. However there's one thing that the latest update did. I have been testing out the app on my phone (Android 9) as well as on an in-car install of a Nexus 7 (Android 6). Everything was working great until your update with the code pulling (tested this morning)
As soon as the OBD devices is connected and I either try to add a data source or view the instruments, Gretio crashes. Now I know it's an old device so I dont expect it to work necessarily but I thought I'd feed it back to. I will test out the new wifi capabilities to link the OBD to phone then wifi to the tablet as a workaround. I'll report back.
I am also happy to test out anythign specific that would help!

Anyway thanks for your hard work - I really enjoy the app.

PS if there is any way you can work out getting the DPF PIDs (or even the soot mass one) to work in the Korean Engine I'd be very grateful!

I'll see if I can replicate it. I am constantly fixing stuff so who knows maybe I already fixed it. There was someone having some crash issue that I fixed which may be the same one but I can't say for sure.

I've been using a Galaxy Tab A for testing which is kind of mid to even lowish range performance wise. It can get kinda laggy if you have lots of gauges, especially the graphical ones, but I've never seen the internal stuff get backlogged which is a good sign.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts