Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so sylvania are now making led bulbs for all the bulbs they already make. all have lifetime warranty and have the known good quality. who better to make the led bulbs then the original bulb makers themselves? thoughts?

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." - John Ruskin

I seriously doubt that Sylvania will price-match the ebay sellers.

·
Premium Member
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
defiantly they wont make as cheap. but soo many are tired of getting cheaply cheap and they burn out within 3 months and pay again. plus sylvania knows about proper light pattern and how the light should work. i think that they will attract many ebay and amazon type customers

FBads is good
Huh??

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
LED has been around since around 1967, terrible with names, even made my ten kids wear nametags, but some guy, what's his name accidentally spilled phosphorous on a PN junction. it lite up. To get more light increased the doping that also increase the forward drop from 0.6V up to 1.8V, but also had the consequence of decreasing the reverse voltage breakdown point.

While a silicon diode can be made to withstand 5,000 volts of reverse polarity, LED's are only good for about 3 volts, any higher, would crash and change into smoke. In brief, not a very suitable device for 120 VAC.

One thing Edison and Tesla did agree on, 100-120V, AC or DC is the best voltage to use for an incandescent bulb. Certainly not the best for an LED. We often questions why Tesla chose 60 Hz, but at the time was a magical loaded with prime numbers, just like how we measure the earth and time. But increasing the frequency in a motor or a transformer, the size of the laminations and the coil required decreases by the square of this frequency. We certainly could make far smaller motors and transformers if he chose 120 Hz instead, but stuck with this. Aircraft uses 400 Hz, that was a pleasure to deal with.

Europe is even worse with 50 Hz, had to be 44% larger for the same thing.

About 117 years ago, we lived in a country with no highways and no electric grid, ha, when I was planted here without any say in this matter, it was only a 40 year old country. Today, we got all this stuff and can't even maintain it. A lot has changed since then, technology has drastically improved. Is it really a good idea to have to travel on roads with about a square foot of fiction area with rubber on a hard smooth surface where a good part of the year is ice and snow?

Or a good idea to screw in an LED light bulb into a 120 VAC 60Hz socket? Seems like its time for a totally new infrastructure, we could do it back then, but sure can't do this today, so the question is why? Also have a ton more billionaires than we ever had before.

Could live with an LED, first the AC will have to be converted to DC, Edison wins on this, but certainly not for power transmission, rectifiers and a filter, than a super high frequency switchmode power supply, Even Apple can do this, not that they invented this, but not much larger than the size of a wall plug. PWM can be used for a dimmer function with current limiting also with PWM, all this besides the toroidial core, filters, can be incorporated in a single chip. We have this technology today. Table lamps could be made this way, but forget about that screw in bulb.

For light fixtures, an adapter can be screwed in and all the electronics can be mounted in the size of a standard toggle light switch. Time to start thinking out of the box as they say.

How wonderful it would be if we all had three phase power at a much higher frequency, nothing simpler than a three phase motor and the most reliable from all the crap we have today. Would mean only adding one more wire to what we have. But still using over a hundred year old technology.

Come to think of it, our vehicle engines are still over a hundred year old technology.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
Seems like its time for a totally new infrastructure, we could do it back then, but sure can't do this today, so the question is why?
Diminishing returns. To put in power where there was no power before? That's something. To install a new infrastructure to make designs simpler? Meh. It's going to have to really reduce costs to make it worth it.

·
Premium Member
6,917 Posts
Only LED bulbs I've had recalled due to fire risk were made by Sylvania. Replacements just like the originals are very directional and only work well in a down pointing socket. They do make the nice 3000K bulbs I like though, while most manufactures only make 2700K(yellow) or 5000K(blue) LEDS bulbs. I like the 2700K in my bedroom, much easier on the eyes when you wake up, only use I like for 5000K is over my work bench but mixed with 2700K or 3000K bulbs as well.

Last I checked most LEDs sold today are made in China and are low quality cheap components no matter what brand you buy. There are some assembled here, but again using the same low quality components.

·
Premium Member
1,013 Posts
so sylvania are now making led bulbs for all the bulbs they already make. all have lifetime warranty and have the known good quality. who better to make the led bulbs then the original bulb makers themselves? thoughts?
I replaced all interior bulbs and side markers with the Sylvania 194/921 bulbs, they're GREAT, considerably better and brighter than the eBay alternatives, BUT with them being priced at $9.99 per bulb, eBay will never stop selling theirs that are like $12.99 for 25 bulbs.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Diminishing returns. To put in power where there was no power before? That's something. To install a new infrastructure to make designs simpler? Meh. It's going to have to really reduce costs to make it worth it.
Disagree with this, most expensive part of building an infrastructure is the right of way, whether it be for highways, railroads, transmission lines, or oil pipelines. Back in the 50's for the interstate system, literally hundreds of thousands of homes had to be purchased and torn down to make way for the interstates. Back then, cost us 3 cents extra in gas tax to accomplish this, today, at 55 cents a gallon, can't even maintain them, literally, mountains had to be moved to build this system. This is already done.

A real sad experience is the North Shore Line, a straight line between downtown Chicago and Milwaukee with trains hitting 100 mph. No faster way to get there, nor a cheaper way. GM and Exxon purchased this line for six million bucks, and tore it down to sell more gas and cars, that right of way is history. But we did have anti-trust laws back them, they were fined 5,000 bucks, bet that killed them.

Granted, the North Shore was losing money with old fashion technology, electric motors powered by 600V DC with power stations along this line every few miles, then expense on maintaining either the overhead trolley lines or that third rail. But they could have dumped all that huge expense and purchased a couple of diesel electric locomotives! But the infrastructure was already there.

Was living in Waukegan at the time, less than a 30 minute ride down to Chicago, with all those vehicles on the Edens, that same trip with a car could take as long as four hours! Talk about having a 19 hour day, ice and snow never slowed down that railroad, but if this isn't enough, had an energy crisis and couldn't even buy gas! Told my family, time to get the hail out of here and that we did. Other thing that really tried to kill me was the new EPA adding cats to our vehicles using high sulfur middle east gas, these things were spitting out sulfuric acid, talk about going backwards. Some close friends were killed with so called traffic accidents, more than likely were poisoned to death, talk about going backwards.

Semiconductors are based on using intrinsic material, has to be 99.9999999% pure, so called minority current carriers, leakage and overheating are the results. Not getting this from China, was getting that here until our EPA kicked them out.

Still say putting all that electronics in the bulb is stupid, should be done externally, even told you how. Easy to do in a lamp, but can also be done with household wiring, if you know how.

The most reliable relay we had was with mercury wetted contacts, but was banned by the EPA, but that same Ahole EPA said its okay to use mercury in CFL's, that are very easily broken, go figure, not easy living in a country ran by hypocrites and idiots.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Philips, too! I penned a piece on LED tail light bulbs for eBayMotors a few months back. Bottom line: I'd rather buy a bulb with a lifetime warranty from a quality manufacturer - at a discount (not at full price) - then the knockoff stuff. It will take a while for Sylvania and Philips to cover all the applications. They're working on getting the most popular bulbs done first.

·
Registered
4 Posts
doubt they will go out of business - there are quality independent manufacturers like dm, like ledheadlightspro etc who are actually making good products at reasonably affordable price points. Can understand the logic, but there will always be a market for cheaper, poor imitations

·
Premium Member
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Its a matter of time till people will pay the extra 5$ for better quality and lifetime sylvania warranty. i see cheapy ones still gonna be around but there day will come. cant no chinese cheapy factory compete with another chinse company backed by sylvania

1 - 12 of 12 Posts