Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Cruze Talk Community - I've been lurking for a couple of years and have found a ton of useful information in the forums. I'm hopeful that y'all can point me in the right direction with this oil leak. I'm a novice and likely won't compete the repair myself, but will rather purchase the needed parts to have them installed.

A few weeks ago, I began to notice the smell of burning oil coming from the A/C vents when idling. I checked under the hood and noticed a fair amount of oil on the front of the engine and around the oil fill cap. I also noticed oil just sitting on top of the fill cap. I initially figured the oil fill cap was the issue so I swapped it out. I then thuroughly washed down the engine bay in order to confirm that no additional oil appeared. While the situation does seem to have improved somewhat, I'm still seeing oil and smelling the burning at idle. I'm thinking that the cause is the valve cover, but am unsure. I've included a few photos and hope that the problem is obvious to those more experienced Cruze owners.

Thank you all for your feedback and time!

IMG_4771.jpg IMG_4772.jpg IMG_4773.jpg IMG_4774.jpg IMG_4778.jpg IMG_4776.jpg

·
Registered
206 Posts
I’m not super familiar with the 1.4L but I do know they have issues with the PCV / valve cover. There are many people on this forum who know much more about it. I know there is supposed to be an orange check valve.
Here is some more info on what I’m referring to and maybe someone else has some more input.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Cruze Talk Community - I've been lurking for a couple of years and have found a ton of useful information in the forums. I'm hopeful that y'all can point me in the right direction with this oil leak. I'm a novice and likely won't compete the repair myself, but will rather purchase the needed parts to have them installed.

A few weeks ago, I began to notice the smell of burning oil coming from the A/C vents when idling. I checked under the hood and noticed a fair amount of oil on the front of the engine and around the oil fill cap. I also noticed oil just sitting on top of the fill cap. I initially figured the oil fill cap was the issue so I swapped it out. I then thuroughly washed down the engine bay in order to confirm that no additional oil appeared. While the situation does seem to have improved somewhat, I'm still seeing oil and smelling the burning at idle. I'm thinking that the cause is the valve cover, but am unsure. I've included a few photos and hope that the problem is obvious to those more experienced Cruze owners.

View attachment 284573 View attachment 284574 View attachment 284575 View attachment 284576 View attachment 284577 View attachment 284578
Same exact thing happened to my 2014 1.4l. I replaced the valve cover which comes with a new gasket. Fixed it.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Looks like a valve cover leak to me. I'd normally say with a leak like that clean it off really good and recheck daily but it sounds like you already did that so I'm sure that's all it is.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all for your replies and suggestions. I should have mentioned that it’s a 2014 1.4L with 127k miles. The valve cover was replaced under warranty a couple of years ago due to the diaphragm issue. Do y’all think I should replace only the valve cover gasket or go ahead and replace the valve cover as well?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Thank you all for your replies and suggestions. I should have mentioned that it’s a 2014 1.4L with 127k miles. The valve cover was replaced under warranty a couple of years ago due to the diaphragm issue. Do y’all think I should replace only the valve cover gasket or go ahead and replace the valve cover as well?
You didnt need to mention that it is a 1.4L. with all the pictures you added your car is easily identified as a 1.4L.

I would check to see if your diaphragm is still working properly. I believe if the diaphragm is sucking in air then it has failed again. Might have a hissing sound.

If it has failed again then probably replace valve cover + gasket. Otherwise just try replacing the gasket.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You didnt need to mention that it is a 1.4L. with all the pictures you added your car is easily identified as a 1.4L.

I would check to see if your diaphragm is still working properly. I believe if the diaphragm is sucking in air then it has failed again. Might have a hissing sound.

If it has failed again then probably replace valve cover + gasket. Otherwise just try replacing the gasket.
That’s a fair point. I’ll check out the diaphragm to ensure it’s still working properly. Thank you for the suggestion.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Another question for y'all - I've watched a few videos on YouTube documenting how to replace the valve cover gasket. Some use a high-temperature gasket maker in two areas near the timing chain while others do not. Do y'all know whether this is necessary or even recommended?

·
Registered
362 Posts
Another question for y'all - I've watched a few videos on YouTube documenting how to replace the valve cover gasket. Some use a high-temperature gasket maker in two areas near the timing chain while others do not. Do y'all know whether this is necessary or even recommended?
It is, mine was replaced under warranty and the dealer did it and put that light blue/gray stuff around those points. So if they do it, I assume it's needed.

·
Registered
183 Posts

View attachment 284573 View attachment 284574 View attachment 284575 View attachment 284576 View attachment 284577 View attachment 284578
Comparing the way your oil cap is sitting vs the way mine sits, is your cap loose? Maybe a bad seal on the cap?

·
Registered
206 Posts
In general it’s not a good idea to double gasket but, I would recommend using rtv where there are corners like near the timing chain on the 1.4L

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Comparing the way your oil cap is sitting vs the way mine sits, is your cap loose? Maybe a bad seal on the cap? View attachment 284598
I initially thought the problem was my original oil fill cap, so I bought an aftermarket replacement which is shown in the photos. It actually seemed to have helped the problem a bit, but I'm still seeing new oil showing up and still smelling the burning.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm curious - is it normal to see oil on and just below the oil fill cap when the cause is the valve cover gasket? It just seems odd that the oil would "seep up."

·
Registered
183 Posts
I'm curious - is it normal to see oil on and just below the oil fill cap when the cause is the valve cover gasket? It just seems odd that the oil would "seep up."
Most of the members here have had issues with the oil leaking where the "low spots" are where the valve cover and the engine head mate up.

Maybe radiator fan blowing the oil up?
I know that my oil leak is where the oil pan, transmission, and engine block all come together, and the oil somehow made its way up to the heater hose on the water outlet housing, which caused a major coolant leak.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts