Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Folks,

I've owned my 2012 cruze lt for almost 3 years. Last year i bought a 2014 polaris sportsman atv. I had to store it for the winter as I had no trailer, winter gear or anything for the winter...

The atv is now ready to be ridden in winter ( windshield, winch, etc... ) however I'm not sure the cruze is ready to take it on...

I know the towing weight is around 1000 lbs, the atv weighs 688 pounds (dry weight), unless i can find a pretty lightweight trailer ( which i am open to ) it is going to be tough to stay under the 1000 lbs ( especially with atv gear and passengers in car ).

I am wondering if anyone on this forum tows similar weight with the cruze and if so what kind of distances they are travelling and how long they have been doing so for . I know this will affect the engine life long term as the engine will be under more pressure, i am mainly concerned about making it up certain hills without revving the engine to s**t to get to my destination...

Otherwise I will be looking at selling the cruze this summer and getting something more powerful ( sacrifice some fuel economy ) to be able to carry the atv around all year without the need of a truck...

The cruze is at around 75 000 kms at this point.

Thanks for the input guys.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I think you would be well within the recommended 1000 lbs with say one of the harbor freight trailers, now if you have a sawed off pickup bed trailer maybe not, a lead foot in it could probably toast up the engine or trans at the published weight where a sensible driver could easily tow twice the rated weight and have no ill effects, most people don't realize that stepping on it and not gaining any speed only produces heat, semi drivers watch their exhaust pyrometers when pulling a hill, it's about driving habit, my daughters will only get 20K on their brakes where I might make 50K !

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think you would be well within the recommended 1000 lbs with say one of the harbor freight trailers, now if you have a sawed off pickup bed trailer maybe not, a lead foot in it could probably toast up the engine or trans at the published weight where a sensible driver could easily tow twice the rated weight and have no ill effects, most people don't realize that stepping on it and not gaining any speed only produces heat, semi drivers watch their exhaust pyrometers when pulling a hill, it's about driving habit, my daughters will only get 20K on their brakes where I might make 50K !
Interesting, I had never heard of Harbor Freight trailers... My only issue with them is that they are not complete ... they are however cheap and seem like a good build. I am not mechanically incline so I would much rather pay extra to have a complete light trailer...

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Ha, own three vehicle, on capable of trailering nothing, the Cruze to be precise, another that can tow 3,500 pounds, and yet another than can tow 10,000 pounds.

No thoughts about getting rid of our Cruze, used about 99% of the time, typically just my wife and I in this car, and occasionally our grandkids. Weather so rotten last year, could only use our boat once, wonder why I even have the darn thing.

No longer have an ATV or a snowmobile, just more toys taking up space that could be rarely used. But if you want these toys, need another toy to tow it. Using my motorhome as a daily driver? Our gas bill would be at least four times as much.

·
Premium Member
4,646 Posts
Interesting, I had never heard of Harbor Freight trailers...
Not sure about out East, but here in Ontario there are no Harbor Freight stores. I have to drive to NY to get to one. I imported a car from teh US once, which was pretty easy. I can't imagine it would be too hard for a trailer, though the time required and an $0.80 dollar might be discouraging.

I would bet a small trailer would do fine behind the Cruze. Heck, it would only cost you the price of a trailer hitch to find out and if it didn't work out as planned, sell the Cruze then. The Cruze is likely far more efficient than whatever you would have to buy to get a sizeable increase in towing payload, so the fuel economy benefit is likely pretty large.

·
Premium Member
4,142 Posts
The Cruze should tow that weight easily. The trick is to operate within the torque band and slow down and use a lower gear if you come to really steep hills. Also allow a longer stopping distance to what you normally allow. If you are going to do a lot of towing and you have an automatic an extra oil cooler is a good idea.

Reactions: Blue Angel

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
A lot depends upon how far and fast you are planning to tow. Have to remember that trailer energy increases by the square of your speed. So just driving around the block, or do you live in New York and planning using your ATV in California.

Ha, when I had these toys, snowmobile and ATV trails were in my backyard, so didn't even need a trailer. But when we had to move to the city, they had to go. What you do in the city is hang around under a street lamp.

Ha, around here, really need a dust mask for an ATV. Recall on my old Honda wanted both arms and legs for a magneto coil, so ended up rewinding my old one. See around here, outfitting these things with a snow blade and tire chains, may be one excuse to get another one.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's a manual transmission so no need for the oil cooler, as far as travelling distance goes it depends on the day... to get to the trail i mostly use it is usually flat highway about 15 kilometers away which wouldn't be a problem however there are some nice ones that might be 30-40 kms away with some steep hills...

Purpose of atv was to explore places I can't with a car,hence why I am considering buying something else. Next time I'm in for a service I will bring this up with the shop manager ( i know him well ) and see what he thinks...

Good info so far though, judging by the feedback so far doesn't seem like many folks are towing much with the cruzes.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,301 Posts
What transmission is the Cruze in question? The lower gears on the LT models, especially the auto, are nice, short pulling gears. The car has such a meaty torque curve between 3-4000 RPM that I think it would probably pull that weight just fine without struggling too much on the hills in lower gears.

Would it pull 1000 lb up a 8% grade @ 55-65 MPH? Probably not.

I think the crappy brakes would be my main concern with facing big hills.

Edit: whoops, didn't see last post about transmission.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Said he has a manual, 15 KM is 9.3 miles, ha, still can think with metric. Driving 35 mph, will get you there in 16 minutes, and can downshift on those hills. Think you will be okay with the Cruze.

Trailer towing capacities are based on highway speeds, but don't tell you anything about lower speeds. And neither will your insurance company take that into consideration. For a few extra pounds, I tend to take the risk that is not much of risk anyway when driving slower.

·
Premium Member
4,142 Posts
To give you an idea of what the Cruze is actually capable of, in my owners manual (Holden Cruze) it quotes 650kg (1433lbs) for a trailer which has no brakes and 1200kg (2645lbs) for a trailer that has brakes. The diesel is slightly higher for un braked trailer 750kg. My Cruze is a 2012 build.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
To give you an idea of what the Cruze is actually capable of, in my owners manual (Holden Cruze) it quotes 650kg (1433lbs) for a trailer which has no brakes and 1200kg (2645lbs) for a trailer that has brakes. The diesel is slightly higher for un braked trailer 750kg. My Cruze is a 2012 build.
Those are some impressive numbers however I don’t find comparing a diesel engine to a tiny1.4t gasoline engine a fair comparison.

Due to the nature of your engine which is bigger, more powerful, and has more torque I would expect it tohaul stuff around no problem.

Thanks for your input anyways!

·
Premium Member
4,142 Posts
Those are some impressive numbers however I don’t find comparing a diesel engine to a tiny1.4t gasoline engine a fair comparison.

Due to the nature of your engine which is bigger, more powerful, and has more torque I would expect it tohaul stuff around no problem.

Thanks for your input anyways!
Those figures were for the 1.8, 1.4T, I just mentioned the diesel bit at the end because there are some diesel owners who tow. Sorry if you misunderstood.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Those figures were for the 1.8, 1.4T, I just mentioned the diesel bit at the end because there are some diesel owners who tow. Sorry if you misunderstood.
Gotcha, my bad there, definitely misunderstood , thanks for the numbers, starting to feel a bit more confident in the cruze... like others said I will obviously be using common sense when it comes to speeds when towing and inclines...

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Must be making more robust Cruze's in Australia, US models specify 1,000 pounds maximum. But really 1,000 pounds? Why not 998 or 1003? Ha, I never trust numbers with a lot of zeros.

·
Registered
196 Posts
You could always upgrade to a diesel and have better MPG and towing ability. Numbers wise the diesel probably equal to an early 80's pickup truck, the lack of a frame and front wheel drive are more limiting than the motor.

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
If you are at 1000 pounds, give or take a bit, I don't see it being much different than having 3 or even 4 passengers and some stuff in the trunk. Should be fine, drive smart.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Actually 3 or 4 passengers would be helpful, increases the ratio of he towing vehicle to the weight of the trailer.

But does have a counter effect, what are these passengers going to do while you are having fun on your ATV, so would have to haul 4 or 5 of these things.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts