Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
How do you use the +/- on the gear change column.Thank You
You slide the shifter to the left when in DRIVE and can nudge it forward for gear up or back for gear down. You can only shift within the constraints of the automatic transmissions limitations. You cannot hurt the engine by shifting at the wrong time. If a shift is denied, it will notify you with a "Shift Denied" message on the DIC. If RPMs get too low, it will still shift automatically to prevent an engine stall.. I don't believe it will automatically change gears if the RPMs get too high however.

·
Premium Member
3,207 Posts
it will keep you bouncing at redline if left in manual mode, i like that but it will also from time to time not let you up shift at red line if your foot is still on the floor.

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
5,911 Posts
it will keep you bouncing at redline if left in manual mode, i like that but it will also from time to time not let you up shift at red line if your foot is still on the floor.
You have to pre-emptively shift up, a little early to account for the delay.

Had to do the same thing on the old 5-speed auto in a '14 Challenger R/T I had for a week. If you were too close, it'd hit the limiter instead of shifting up.

·
Premium Member
3,207 Posts
yah i have adapted but not easy to tell when the diesel makes no noise at redline lol, my problem it could be hitting the limiter foot to the floor and i shift up it wont do it until you let off the gas. so at autocross if i happen to hit redlije and shift it wont allow me to untill i lift off

·
Registered
59 Posts
Since my tune, I've been able to shift up at 6500 with zero issues.. not sure if that's a good thing or not tho lol! But I believe my redline is now at 7000..

·
Premium Member
3,207 Posts
well you must have a gasoline fed cruze because im sure MP81 would agree with me that the 2.0 diesel of ours would toss a rod at 7,000 rpm

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
5,911 Posts
well you must have a gasoline fed cruze because im sure MP81 would agree with me that the 2.0 diesel of ours would toss a rod at 7,000 rpm
That would pose a serious issue, haha.

Reactions: pandrad61

·
Premium Member
3,207 Posts

·
Conservative Acoustic Foam
1,028 Posts
Besides keeping the car in a specific gear for engine-braking...you wouldn't use the shifter for a straight-up acceleration run, right? I would find it hard to believe you could shift better than the TCU.

·
Premium Member
3,207 Posts
merf i autocross the cruze on a monthly basis when in season. the cruze even if you drive it aggressively the moment you let off the gas for a turn it automatically shifts up to a cruising gear to save fuel. at this point my foot is to the floor trying to get speed out of the turn but i have to wait for the cruze to once again downshift and get going. the cruze tranny shift perimeters is 100% economy based so it always gets into high gear vs holding gears for performance.

now in manual mode the cruze will down shift when needed but hold your gear even at redline, this allows me to stay in 3rd during and exiting the turn vs automatic entering in 3rd, lifting the throttle and it jumping to 5th then me back on throttle and it having to down shift to 3rd again. in my next event i have a second go pro and i will show 2 runs. !st run in automatic mode and the 2. in manual. this will i promise show a 15 second difference min

·
1,028 Posts
the cruze even if you drive it aggressively the moment you let off the gas for a turn it automatically shifts up to a cruising gear to save fuel.
Hence my disclaimer about intentionally holding a gear. :)

And **** I miss auto-cross. I'd love to try it with a car that wasn't like corralling a bull in a china shop though (auto-crossed my Supra turbo...bleh)

·
Premium Member
3,207 Posts
my diesel handles very well at the track for the size. the thing that absolutely kills me is the LRR tires and that the diesel is absolutely whisper quiet.... plus SCCA feels the cruze can handle its own vs a fiesta st or a mini cooper... yah both make 200hp and are gas and are lighter... wrong class people

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUtXUgpOIAE

·
1,028 Posts
my diesel handles very well at the track for the size. the thing that absolutely kills me is the LRR tires and that the diesel is absolutely whisper quiet.... plus SCCA feels the cruze can handle its own vs a fiesta st or a mini cooper... yah both make 200hp and are gas and are lighter... wrong class people

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUtXUgpOIAE
I'll have to remember to watch that from home. I should upload my laughable auto-x run in my Supra that I have stored away somewhere. I can't remember what class they put my Supra in, but my buddy in his 300Z-TT and I were a joke compared to the rest of our class. It was fun to play along though.

·
Premium Member
3,207 Posts
i took my 87 supra turbo out and dominated my class and the class with sti drivers ( go 7m-GTE ) but they where also not as seasoned as me. my supra was g stock and the cruze H stock if i remember right lol

Reactions: _MerF_

·
1,028 Posts
Yeah you're in a MKIII though... much more agile than my fat-ass MKIV...plus I was single-turbo (BPU++...how the Supra people categorized it) and although it was a very mild turbo so spooled quickly, it still was a steep torque curve which made my ass constantly slide out from under me coming out of turns.

·
Premium Member
3,207 Posts
ohh yah the MA70 chassis was incredibly light on its feet for how big it was. im going to buy another one in mint shape if i don't buy a 04 marauder first. plus i have the hots for pop up headlights and single turbo. why add weight and complexity when you can have 6 cylinders pushing one blade vs 2. i will eventually get a nice mk3 that has been kept musium clean and a few other nice running bad body ones for parts. i miss that car ever so dearly. yes it is not fast by today's standards but man was it advanced ij its day and honestly better equip then a ltz cruze hahaha

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
How do you use the +/- on the gear change column.Thank You
What year are we talking about? The 2011 though 2016 Limited is first generation (round taillights). The "all new" 2016 is the second generation and is different. I'm not sure if the "all-new" is being sold yet.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.