Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2013 Cruze LS AT 2500 miles on it. Every morning going to work i have a couple of good staighaways and take it right up to 4500 -5500 rpm. i live in a area with a ton of long twisty back country roads and the cruze loves being at over 3000 rpm it seems. my question is at what rpm does it become abuse? is taking it over 4000 rpm daily eventually going to cause wear. what if someone redlined an engine every day? i drove my 99 monte carlo like a complete idiot for years and it never made a knock or a tick. i redlined it for half an hour straight and it just overheated. maybe i should just save the high speed action for the weekends and keep it under 3k on the weekdays? sorry for the stupid question but its just something that always bothers me. maybe the engines these days are designed to be be at redline every day and with normal maintence have no issues. just wondering what i should be doing to get some good life out of the car

·
Premium Member
954 Posts
I would say if it hits redline every day, thats abuse and will cause wear and tear. Even every other day I would still consider it abuse. If you need that much power that you have to hit redline, you need something with more motor.

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,272 Posts
I am sure that you will give us that answer all to soon .
Keep up that daily grind on that new vehicle and we will here that you need a shoulder to cry on . I am waiting patiently and will continue to not beat the pants off of my IT.
Good luck with that chuck .

·
Registered
274 Posts
I am sure that you will give us that answer all to soon .
Keep up that daily grind on that new vehicle and we will here that you need a shoulder to cry on . I am waiting patiently and will continue to not beat the pants off of my IT.
Good luck with that chuck .
Lol I agree! Keep it up and you'll find out soon enough. Man you've barely popped the cherry on this car!

·
Premium Member
5,157 Posts
I would say if it hits redline every day, thats abuse and will cause wear and tear. Even every other day I would still consider it abuse. If you need that much power that you have to hit redline, you need something with more motor.
Redlining it every day after it's good and warmed up isn't abuse at all. The engine is operating well within its design parameters, even at redline. The computer steps in and cuts fuel to keep things from getting out of hand. The only way it's considered abuse is if it's redlined immediately after a cold startup.

It's far more abusive to operate the engine in repeated 3-5 mile trips where it never gets warmed up than it is to repeatedly redline a warmed up engine during a longer trip. The short-tripped car will have a lot more fuel and moisture in the oil than the redlined car, which is doing a fantastic job of getting hot oil everywhere in the engine, ensuring everything's well-lubricated with oil that's had the moisture and fuel burned out of it.

Let the engine warm up, then redline away. About the only abuse you'll see will be to your wallet.

·
Premium Member
4,490 Posts
Just dont bang it off the redline then dump the clutch lol it dosnt like that to much and dont down **** at the wrong time other than that you should be alright, and if you play a little bit you can still get ok milage (well at least in m ECO).

·
Premium Member
6,915 Posts
I have never owned a car I did not taken past 4,000RPM at least once per drive, though as stated above its best to wait until the oil/engine is warmed up to ensure proper viscosity/protection.

I have an automatic, In D anything more than a light foot the computer takes the car to 4,000RPM in all the lower gears. When I use manual mode i usually shift at 2,500-3,500RPM in all gears when getting up to speed. If I really need to get moving 1st, 2nd and 3rd get taken to 5,000RPM. The car does not seem to mind one bit, my past 10 fill ups I have have averaged 37.2MPG.

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,272 Posts
Redlining it every day after it's good and warmed up isn't abuse at all. The engine is operating well within its design parameters, even at redline. The computer steps in and cuts fuel to keep things from getting out of hand. The only way it's considered abuse is if it's redlined immediately after a cold startup.

It's far more abusive to operate the engine in repeated 3-5 mile trips where it never gets warmed up than it is to repeatedly redline a warmed up engine during a longer trip. The short-tripped car will have a lot more fuel and moisture in the oil than the redlined car, which is doing a fantastic job of getting hot oil everywhere in the engine, ensuring everything's well-lubricated with oil that's had the moisture and fuel burned out of it.

Let the engine warm up, then redline away. About the only abuse you'll see will be to your wallet.

But the jambalaya quote fit man .

·
Registered
533 Posts
I am with the people saying its not abuse at all as long as its good and warmed up first...(note that the coolant temp gauge will need to be at normal for a few minutes before the oil temp itself is up)...theres nothing wrong with redlining it every shift...as long as it isnt staying there for a long time...although the cruze doesnt make much power at redline so theres no point...

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,272 Posts
How often do you rebuild your race engine ?

·
Premium Member
954 Posts
Geez guess I baby mine too. Mine rarely sees over 3500 as well. But still, if you redline every shift, just because the engine is good for it, its still more wear and tear on your clutch, or automatic transmission. Idk, revving the nuts off an economy car just doesn't make much sense to me.

·
Resident Derp
2,805 Posts
Coming from someone who does weekly mountain runs at redline for a good 10-30 minutes and 42K miles on my AT LS, I have no signs of abuse wear. My tires and brakes wont last as long as the people who hypermile, but engine/tranny wise my car feels no different than stock [technically better since I have the CAI and tune, but since I've installed both ~10K miles it hasn't changed].

Also, what I've found with the 1.8L engine, is that keeping the RPM's in between 4-6K does the best in keeping the torque there, and until you reach 5th gear shifting in between 6K and redline will place the next gear at 4K. Also off the starting line 1st is usually useless, but if you're stomping on it shifting when the needle hits 4K with the computer/tranny delay ends up shifting it right around 6K before redlining.

Also since you're tackling the mountains I strongly suggest the rear tower bar from Ultra Racing. Believe me it helps. After that would be front tower, then rear sway, then front end links. I have yet to get the sway bar/end link but they're highly recommended, and then from there you can either go with the UR chassis braces, or lowering springs/coilovers to further stiffen your suspension up.

·
Premium Member
5,157 Posts
The overall point is that one needs to have a warmed-up engine to redline it without being abusive. Warmed-up to me is about 5-10 minutes after the coolant warms up all the way. Oil temperature lags coolant temperature, and giving it an extra 5-10 minutes gives the oil more time to warm up to protect as it was intended.

Reactions: H3LLON3ARTH

·
Resident Derp
2,805 Posts
The overall point is that one needs to have a warmed-up engine to redline it without being abusive. Warmed-up to me is about 5-10 minutes after the coolant warms up all the way. Oil temperature lags coolant temperature, and giving it an extra 5-10 minutes gives the oil more time to warm up to protect as it was intended.
Yeah, I never drive it all out until its been sitting at temp for a couple miles. When warming it up I wont baby it, but I never pass 4K in any gear when my car is cold.

·
Registered
126 Posts

Yep.

In fact back in the day I've seen a couple of motors that were driven by grandpa's slowly for many miles and the ringland (a lip in the cylinder where the top piston ring sits at TDC) ends up- being low. Then the grandson hops in and needs to get on the freeway and gives the car some throttle, the rods naturally stretch a tiny bit as they should and the rings pound in to the ring land cracking the rings, and damaging the motor.

Everyone should run there motor up to redline at least once a day for the general health of the engine imo. Just wait till she is good and warm.

·
Premium Member
376 Posts
Redline is at 6500rpm for a reason, because the engine is able to safely go that high on a daily basis provided it is warm and has been properly maintained.

My old Rex didn't even hit boost until 3,600rpm. You HAD to drop a gear or two in order to get anywhere quickly.

Even super highly tuned super-sport motorbikes making almost 200HP out of a 1L engine last a long time revving up to 18,000rpm.

Break in the engine correctly, regularly change the engine oil and filter and never drive hard until warm (I actually sit in my driveway for a min or two every morning) and you can redline 'til your hearts content.

·
Lyrical Wordsmith
6,747 Posts
Yep.

In fact back in the day I've seen a couple of motors that were driven by grandpa's slowly for many miles and the ringland (a lip in the cylinder where the top piston ring sits at TDC) ends up- being low. Then the grandson hops in and needs to get on the freeway and gives the car some throttle, the rods naturally stretch a tiny bit as they should and the rings pound in to the ring land cracking the rings, and damaging the motor.

Everyone should run there motor up to redline at least once a day for the general health of the engine imo. Just wait till she is good and warm.

I only do it once a week maybe twice...... I have a customer who works on exotic cars, and they get customers in all the time claiming the car feels sluggish. So he realizes that they just never drive it like it should. So he goes on i95 and redlines the crap out of it (pretty much driving it the way it was meant to be driven), and when the customer drives it again they are amazed at how good it drives.

He gets this almost every week lol.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.