Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey peeps.

So so my check engine light came on. Ugh. I had it scanned and was told to replace my vapour canister purge valve. So I did. 1 day later, engine light again. Scanned it and this time I was told to replace my mass airflow sensor, so I did. Hours later, engine light on again. My car was sounding like the fan belt was going because it was making loud noises. My car was idling so rough and stalled twice. I was using a full tank of gas in less than a week of normal city driving to and from work and school. I happened to be at someone’s house who heard my car making the “fan belt” noises. He looked, checked online and showed me a video of a bad PCV valve. Turns out it can give the same symptoms and readings when that goes as a bad MAF sensor. So now I’m down over $650 (I also had me spark plugs changed based on what the original diagnosis was) and this PCV sensor just broke the bank. I can’t afford to fix it now as I spent my **** bill money on fixing problems that weren’t even problems. My question is, do any of you know if my PCV valve would be covered under manufacturers warranty? I really hope so because I can’t fix this for a few weeks at least and I know this will get worse if I leave it.

·
Super Moderator
7,794 Posts
Difficult to accurately diagnose based on what you’ve offered so far. If you can specify the following it would help people help you:

vehicle make and model?

model year?

current odometer reading?

previous ownership history?

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
If you would stop getting advice from a parts store (in business to sell parts) and get to a dealer, you would not be buying all these unnecessary parts and getting frustrated with your car.

Rob

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was t asking the part store people my problem was. I was taking it to a garage and they were hooking it up and scanning it. They were then just going by the error codes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So I called my GM dealership here to find it if it was covered under the power train warranty. They said it wasn’t covered. Then he placed me on hold, looked into something and came back and told me that my car doesn’t have a pcv valve. I told him I could clearly see the valve, but he told me I was wrong and told me I’d have to come in and pay more for another diagnostic. ��

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
5,684 Posts
Sounds like you need to find another dealer, because all that information is wrong.

You should be well within your powertrain warranty still, and the PCV valve would be covered by it.

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
The PCV is integral with the cam cover.....the cam cover is a powertrain covered part. Since the valve is part of the cam cover its failure becomes a covered repair......maybe.....were was the car sold?

Still need to know what country this car is in....different coverage for different countries.

Rob

·
Premium Member
5,639 Posts
So I called my GM dealership here to find it if it was covered under the power train warranty. They said it wasn’t covered. Then he placed me on hold, looked into something and came back and told me that my car doesn’t have a pcv valve. I told him I could clearly see the valve, but he told me I was wrong and told me I’d have to come in and pay more for another diagnostic. ��
Doesn't the P/T Warranty on the 2014 for Canada expire at 5 years/160KM?

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
I've never known an engine to NOT have a pcv. And they're usually in the valve cover.

Pistons don't make a perfect seal. There's ALWAYS compression that leaks past the rings in to the crankcase. It's called crank pressure. It's the job of the pcv to suck that crank pressure and recirculate it back in to the intake to be burned with the air fuel mixture.

Positive
Crankcase
Ventilation.

PCV

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
5,684 Posts
I've never known an engine to NOT have a pcv. And they're usually in the valve cover.

Pistons don't make a perfect seal. There's ALWAYS compression that leaks past the rings in to the crankcase. It's called crank pressure. It's the job of the pcv to suck that crank pressure and recirculate it back in to the intake to be burned with the air fuel mixture.

Positive
Crankcase
Ventilation.

PCV
Exactly...the fact they flat out said the engine didn't have one is outrageous. Worse yet - the **** thing is right on top of the engine!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts