Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Parked the Cruze next to a BMW i8 at work. Someone has some cash.

Vehicle Car Mid-size car Mode of transport Road

Reactions: Tomko

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll guess a lease......I don't think anybody actually buys those things.

Rob
Could be. They are ridiculously expensive. And, they only have a 3-cylinder (turbo) engine and can only go 15 miles on the battery. I'd buy a Corvette instead.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Why would anyone spend 150k for a car that can only go 22 miles on an electric charge?

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
5,906 Posts
Why would anyone spend 150k for a car that can only go 22 miles on an electric charge?
Because it doesn't make sense but makes people know you have some money.

But yes, I agree - my Volt goes more than double that for about 1/4 the price.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Because it will blow the door off a Corvette in terms of torque and performance. There's nothing EV efficiency about an I8. It's about a combination of the turbo engine and electrical engine driving both axles.

·
Premium Member
1,247 Posts
I see it as a cool looking car for those who want to spend $150k on virtue signaling.
It goes an EPA rated 18miles on electric, and BMW brags about a 330 mile gas+electric range. In electric mode, it's governed to 75mph, so a Volt or a Spark can blast past it on the freeway, and a Cruze has nearly double the range. 4.0 seconds is not that great for an AWD supercar. An AMG GT is cheaper and quicker 0-60. A RWD Corvette Z06 is a lot quicker than an i8 at 3.3 seconds.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
Because it's a BMW (status symbol). I'll take my Volt with it's 45 (below freezing) to 65 mile (summer) electric range before switching to gas.

·
Premium Member
5,906 Posts
Because it will blow the door off a Corvette in terms of torque and performance. There's nothing EV efficiency about an I8. It's about a combination of the turbo engine and electrical engine driving both axles.
It won't, but okay.

C&D got theirs to do 0-60 in 4.0 seconds, and the 1/4 mile in 12.5 seconds, and it has 420 lb-ft of torque.

A standard C7 has 460 lb-ft of torque, and (going auto for auto here) does 0-60 in 3.7 seconds and the 1/4 mile in 12.0 seconds. For $50,000 less.

But sure...okay...

Because it's a BMW (status symbol). I'll take my Volt with it's 45 (below freezing) to 65 mile (summer) electric range before switching to gas.
****, there are some days in the summer where I'm pretty sure I would be able to hit 70 miles if I needed to.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
It won't, but okay.

C&D got theirs to do 0-60 in 4.0 seconds, and the 1/4 mile in 12.5 seconds, and it has 420 lb-ft of torque.

A standard C7 has 460 lb-ft of torque, and (going auto for auto here) does 0-60 in 3.7 seconds and the 1/4 mile in 12.0 seconds. For $50,000 less.

But sure...okay...

****, there are some days in the summer where I'm pretty sure I would be able to hit 70 miles if I needed to.
I managed 64 miles running at 55 MPH last October. It was in the upper 40s that day. I suspect 70 EV miles is well in my range in the right conditions. The other 10 miles I drove that day I managed 50 MPG on gas.

·
Premium Member
5,906 Posts
I think you meant HAD some cash!
They'll be in the poor house in no time due to how many tickets they're likely to rack up for not using their turn signals.

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,273 Posts
Oh IT"S an economical thread ! Oh Goodie .
I gave that stuff up 3 years ago and drive FOMOCO cause I like IT .

Reactions: Sunline Fan

·
Premium Member
5,906 Posts
Wait, is THAT why people buy Altimas? Lmao.
I believe so - they generally seem to drive like jackasses in those and Maximas. Unaware they did, in fact, not purchase a race car.

Reactions: jblackburn

·
2,254 Posts
Wonder if the purchase of the i8 came with BMW driving lessons regarding riding people ass.

Hopefully they gave them some blinker fluid with it. Wait, never mind, it'd still be full when his lease is up.

Nice catch, I'd love to see one in person.

Reactions: obermd
1 - 18 of 18 Posts