Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2012 Cruze LTZ 59xxx miles

First off, I did a drain and fill using Amsoil fuel efficient ATF. I'm so far impressed with the results.
Smoother shifting and performance all over.

I'm concerned though.

I drained the fluid (didn't measure what came out), put in 5 quarts, released the overflow plug until it stopped dripping.
I didn't have the engine running when I removed the overfill plug.
I drove around for about 30 mins and didn't notice any issues. Like I said, a noticeable improvement.

Should I be concerned that I didn't have the engine running when I removed the plug? I've read on this forum that you need to be precise when refilling and even a few ounces over or under can cause issues.

·
Premium Member
25,595 Posts
It's the weekend - most of the folks who really know this stuff are out and about. It may take a few days to get a response. No need to bump.

·
Premium Member
25,595 Posts
I couldn't find the post, so thought it got lost somehow.

But, noted. Thanks.
I've "lost" posts before so I can understand this.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Can always count on one of you guys.
I'll get it done tomorrow morning. Thanks for the response!

·
Premium Member
25,595 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
So, I got it to operating temperature and pulled the plug while it was running until it stopped.
Can someone tell me if this is the level plug? Because that's the one I pulled.

Metal Auto part Steel Metalworking hand tool

Attachments

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Correct.

Well, when I did it yesterday, that's not the actual bolt that got pulled. There was a bolt we released on the opposite side of the cv shaft, above it about 8 inches.

Fluid did come out of that, but obviously that wasn't correct.

When we pulled out the correct one today, I would say a little over a quart came out.
Super glad I asked and you responded, because I'm assuming that could have ended badly.

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Can you shows us a pic of the plug you originally pulled? Maybe to warn others of this.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It would be hard to get a picture because it is behind some of the paneling and was hard enough getting off the first time.
The bolt was on the left side of the CV axle, towards the top of the transmission.
I have no idea what it's for, but fluid trans fluid did come out of it when I removed it. Wish I would have asked before I did it, just to make sure.
If there is a diagram of the transmission, I could point out it's location.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Bwrin-

How did you level the vehicle to pull this plug? Did you remove the wheel to get those pictures, or is the wheel on the ground, and you were able to remove the wheel liner.

Maybe your pictures are based on the car on a lift.

I was just wondering if this drain plug is accessible through the wheel well with the liner removed? It would be a lot easier than leveling the car on jackstands and pulling the plug. At least I think it would be.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
The first time I pulled a plug (not the correct one) I was on a lift.
The picture shown, I removed the wheel. I lowered the car down to what I thought was level and pulled the correct plug. No removal of the liner was needed to access to the correct fluid level plug. You shouldn't need to remove the liner.

The one I incorrectly pulled was behind the liner, which I had to remove.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Thanks for the info.

I was thinking of removing the liner with the wheel attached, and turning the wheel trying to get access to the plug. I always thought this would be easier than attempting to work on a stand. However, I'm not sure it's possible.

Removing one wheel seems easy enough. But having the wheel on would allow you to drive it around to temperature, bring it in the garage and quickly drain.

Thanks for the thoughts. Greatly appreciated.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts