Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have any one you guys went the route of a skid plate to protect you engine from getting damaged? I haven't found any thing. Going to be lookin into a sheet of 6061 aluminum to make my own.

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
A sheet of aluminum might as well be plastic since a thin layer will only protect from tiny objects. anything larger than a golf ball will tear right though at speed. You should see what a 4x4 block of wood did to the much thicker aluminum oil pan on my 2.2 ecotec.

Sure aluminum is harder than wood, but don't tell that to my oil pan with a block of wood size hole smashed through it. Remember unlike steel aluminum doesn't bend it breaks.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I don't want a huge piece of steel though. So I figured aluminum would do a decent enough job.

·
Premium Member
2,496 Posts
1/2 plate steel bolted up will be beast. Dont forget when you hit an object at 70mph the destructive power is much greater kinda like straw that can stick in the side of a telephone poll during a tornado

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
1/2 plate steel bolted up will be beast. Dont forget when you hit an object at 70mph the destructive power is much greater kinda like straw that can stick in the side of a telephone poll during a tornado

When I hit the piece of wood I was only doing 45-55mph, so I assume at any highway speeds most solid debris will slice any soft metal like butter.

·
Registered
481 Posts
My buddy has an aluminum skid plate on his Mazda. He's lowered. Probably replaced it five times due to damage. Actually keeps a spare in his garage now. I'd bet it probably saved his car at least twice. Will it get destroyed? Yeah but will it slow down the object that would have gone through the pan or knocked the filter off? The few dings in the oil pan say it probably does something.

·
Registered
47 Posts
1/4" plate steel would probably be sufficient for most road hazards.
Sure, but can you imagine how much weight you would be adding to the car? Plus, you will be that much closer to hitting something on the road. Not worth it in my book. Skidplates are for Jeeps/Offroad. Just an opinion. Unless you are planning a WRC Cruze build....... :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts