Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
heres my setup:
3 subs continous 125w hooked up to a 500w amp - 3 jl audio 10w0-8 on a jlaudio 500/1 amp with 3.0 farad cap.

heres my question:
when i put the volume to high the amp shuts off, ive been through a couple theories but no definite answer, so could someone please explain this to me and feel free to get technical ill manage to understand.

thanks for your time.

·
Conservative Acoustic Foam
1,028 Posts
if your referring to the connection of the subs to the amp, its in a series circuit.
Series? (3) 8-ohm speakers in series gives a 24-ohm load on the amp. The amp has some weird auto-correcting circuitry that may be trying to overdrive the amp to get it to output power at such high impedance. I would think hooking the 3 subs in parallel to get the load down to 2-ohms would be ideal. The amp is rated at 1.5 ohm (that's weird to me) so it should be fine.

Full disclosure, I haven't seriously built a system since high school and I haven't been working with analog circuitry since my basic electronics courses in 1999. So I'm going off memory and a little Google refreshing.

·
Premium Member
2,496 Posts
Series? (3) 8-ohm speakers in series gives a 24-ohm load on the amp. The amp has some weird auto-correcting circuitry that may be trying to overdrive the amp to get it to output power at such high impedance. I would think hooking the 3 subs in parallel to get the load down to 2-ohms would be ideal. The amp is rated at 1.5 ohm (that's weird to me) so it should be fine.

Full disclosure, I haven't seriously built a system since high school and I haven't been working with analog circuitry since my basic electronics courses in 1999. So I'm going off memory and a little Google refreshing.
I saw him say that and that is why I ask what is his load on the meter. I was also considered DVC.
I believe his problem is the amp its self or his wiring.

to the op
Assuming your amp is new and has done this from the start
What type of wire are you using gauge, ofc/cca?
What is your resistance to ground?
Also make sure you have no shorts in your enclosure. I have seen some people shorting out their amps on the subs. If one thread from both pos a neg terminals is touching the basket you but your amp in to protect..

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
the wire from the amp to box is 12 gauge ofhc and then to the subs its 16 gauge ofhc, i have to wait for my meter to test the resistance to ground and there are no wires shorting.

haha i cant beat the crap out of them they shut off when i get to about half volume, the gain is at +10 and they dont go into thermal overload or whatever its called, thats what i thought it was but when i touch the amp it's barely hot, in fact my door speakers amp gets hotter than it and its fine

·
Premium Member
2,496 Posts
so have you recently measured each sub and have gotten 7.2- 7.4. You may have a dying sub. The coils could be occasionally shorting

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
the wire from the amp to box is 12 gauge ofhc and then to the subs its 16 gauge ofhc, i have to wait for my meter to test the resistance to ground and there are no wires shorting

·
Premium Member
2,496 Posts
you can disconnect one of the subs at a time to see if the amp stops shutting down and eventually get to the one that is shutting it down. If go thru all of your subs and the amp doesnt shut down..... its time for a new amp

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,265 Posts
I am thinking the equation is incorrect ... I would need to see a diagram of how you wired the subs in series . Starting 1 - lead to 1 - terminal at your first sub . first subs + lead to the second subs - . second subs + to third subs - third subs + to amps + signal lead ...

Try wiring the subs in Parrallel .....your amp will get real warm and you might want to get a Amp fan to get air circulating around it .

·
Premium Member
7,784 Posts
One possibility, if you've wired the subs in series, the amp might be pushed into clipping before it starts getting real loud. I don't know if that turns off an amp or not.

Another, if the power wiring isn't up to the task, the voltage on the terminals of the amp might drop too low.

·
Conservative Acoustic Foam
1,028 Posts
I am thinking the equation is incorrect ... I would need to see a diagram of how you wired the subs in series . Starting 1 - lead to 1 - terminal at your first sub . first subs + lead to the second subs - . second subs + to third subs - third subs + to amps + signal lead ...
:iagree:

·
Premium Member
2,496 Posts

Try wiring the subs in Parrallel .....your amp will get real warm and you might want to get a Amp fan to get air circulating around it .
One possibility, if you've wired the subs in series, the amp might be pushed into clipping before it starts getting real loud. I don't know if that turns off an amp or not.

Another, if the power wiring isn't up to the task, the voltage on the terminals of the amp might drop too low.
op posted this
"the resistance is 3.2 ohms out of the box, each sub is like 7.2-7.4"

1 - 20 of 24 Posts