Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see this scan tool in harbor freights current ad and it makes it sound like you can initialize sensors and re-code modules with it, HF item #62385 $1099 Autel DS709
I'm wondering if it works as advertised and more importantly is a person even able to get module coding from GM, seems like that would not even be possible
with a 20% off coupon this thing could be bought for under $800 which is a lot cheaper than I've seen the newer GM scan tools go for on ebay, so I guess the big question
is what actually do these non GM scanners allow you to do--any of you techs on here played with one ??

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
To update the modules, GM requires a $360 MDI interface, a laptop and a connection to the Internet. Oh, and a subscription to GM.

Since this $1100 thing is a Windows box with IE and an interface to the car, it certainly seems plausible that could replace a MDI + laptop and can run the GM software on it. But it sure sounds like you're going backwards on the pricing for home use. But if your day job is fixing cars of all makes and types, it could be just the thing.

I really doubt if you can can re-program your car without subscribing to GM. Software copyright and all that.
That's about what I thought, works on "most vehicles" Autel is a respected brand though so I thought maybe they have stripped module files and put them in the unit, funny I see the GM tech 2 with candi and latest software on ebay for less than this, so your saying ONLY the midi interface and laptop will re-code the modules ?
I just hate the fact I can not fix my own car and forced to be bent over by a dealer to put "privileged files" on my car, I can see where they would want to protect their investment on the software development AND keep the competition from seeing how they do it (actually not likely another automaker wouldn't be able to bust the code out) I thought the auto makers were put up against the wall to stop restricting us from being able to see the problem, guess the laws have not kept up with the rapidly changing times as far as electronic coding goes

1 - 2 of 2 Posts