Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,011 Posts
To update the modules, GM requires a $360 MDI interface, a laptop and a connection to the Internet. Oh, and a subscription to GM.

Since this $1100 thing is a Windows box with IE and an interface to the car, it certainly seems plausible that could replace a MDI + laptop and can run the GM software on it. But it sure sounds like you're going backwards on the pricing for home use. But if your day job is fixing cars of all makes and types, it could be just the thing.

I really doubt if you can can re-program your car without subscribing to GM. Software copyright and all that.

·
Premium Member
8,011 Posts
so your saying ONLY the midi interface and laptop will re-code the modules ?
MDI. Midi is something else. :grin:

No, I think the critical element is a compatible box that will connect to the car and GM's subscription website at the same time. The MDI will connect a windows box to the car and has the capability needed. But I wouldn't rule out something else along the lines of a cable used to install a tune. As long as the GM software will see it and the device will do the commands asked of it.

We know the Autel is a Windows box and it may have an interface that "looks" like a MDI to GM's website. It may also have built-in functions that eliminate the need to go to GM's website for common things like clearing codes, resetting perimeters or bleeding brakes.

It's entirely possible that one of these adapters will also work in place of a MDI. But I'd want to find someone who says that they've actually done it. Otherwise you could waste a lot of time finding that the GM software either won't see it or it refuses to do certain functions. I've not tried tracking down a less-expensive interface yet, but it's on my list. The GM 3-day subscription is reasonably affordable for an occasional weekend of work.

I wish it were different, but I tend to be the type to deal with the hand dealt rather than go to the powers that be and demand a reshuffle in my favor. We're still better off then the old $2000 Tech 2.

·
Premium Member
8,011 Posts
I may have to take that back. The site linked to looks ligit, but it ships from Taiwan. So it might be a knock-off. Certainly the prices I'm seeing elsewhere are higher. Some as high as $1000. At that point, Autel looks like a bargain since it includes the computer. At $500 for the MDI, it might be a toss-up. The Autel might have enough built-in functions that you don't need to subscribe to GM except for the actual flash updates for the car. It's unclear to me if the MDI can do anything without the subscription. That $500 difference will only buy 8-9 weekends.

This seems to be a good write-up on scanners in general. It might be wise to sit down and figure out what features are worth it to you. As long as you have a scanner that can pull codes and run reset procedures, it might be best to leave the re-flashing to the dealers.

I think I'd be leery about the Chinese knock-offs. The quality is all over the place. You certainly wouldn't want to use one to reflash your car. If it fails, it could brick the module.

·
Premium Member
8,011 Posts
Something that might be worth a look-see is scantool.net. OBDLink MX + ScanXL + GM Enhanced add-on looks like it can do quite a bit for $260. Reads a ton of codes and status. I'm not sure what it can do to the car beyond clearing codes, but I'd hope it can do some of the sensor calibration procedures. It doesn't flash modules, but I can live with that at that price.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts