Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wonder how many Cruze owners realize that when you have your headlights set to Auto, and when you have the wipers on (even 'intermittent) that your headlights will automatically go from Daytime Running Lights (DRL) to Full headlight mode with the taillights and side lights going on? Also, a quick tap on the turn signal lever and you get auto-3-light turn signals, used for lane changing. Some owners aren't aware of these nice features I found out.

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
I believe the headlights/tail lights come on after the 7th time the wipers pass the windshield. I'm glad GM put this in place, see tons of people in inclement weather(wipers on) that have no lights on at all. Don't even get me started on the morons who disable the DRL or shut off their lights before they drive. I just want to say "hey dummy those lights are not for you to see but to help others see you sooner!"

When my father still worked for GM he read an article about Canada daytime headlight requirement and how it reduced accidents by nearly 20% in dusk/dawn hours. Needless to say all our cars where wired to have daytime headlights even back in the early 1990's.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,330 Posts
I believe the headlights/tail lights come on after the 7th time the wipers pass the windshield. I'm glad GM put this in place, see tons of people in inclement weather(wipers on) that have no lights on at all. Don't even get me started on the morons who disable the DRL or shut off their lights before they drive. I just want to say "hey dummy those lights are not for you to see but to help others see you sooner!"
Worse, yet, are people that drive with no headlights or ONLY DRL's on at night...

Occasionally flashing them or flashing your lights on and off at them works, but sometimes they're just completely clueless.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
Worse, yet, are people that drive with no headlights or ONLY DRL's on at night...
Yup. Everytime I run across those, I wish their car had automatic headlights. I know when they first came out, some people decried like as more "nanny state", but I like them.

For those with fog lights - I've noticed that it appears if you turn on the fogs, the running lights come on as well. Tap on when entering, tap off when exiting. WAY easier then dealing with the headlight dial. (two clicks to the right, then two clicks to the left. If you accidentally go three click to the left, you turn off DRLs.)

·
Premium Member
5,534 Posts
I guess I fall under the dummy clause.

I turn off the DRL's every time I get in the car........

But back the original question from JeffBazell......I suspect only those that have removed the manual from its hermetically sealed bag and actually read it are aware of this feature and many others that came with the Cruze.
There may be a few that stumbled across it by virtue of seeing it function.....maybe aimed at a store window or something like that.

Yesterday, my DIL asked me a question regarding her new Denalli......which I couldn't answer till I found the book......which had the answer.
She said she had read the online version and saw nothing about it......yeah right.

Rob

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
For those with fog lights - I've noticed that it appears if you turn on the fogs, the running lights come on as well. Tap on when entering, tap off when exiting. WAY easier then dealing with the headlight dial. (two clicks to the right, then two clicks to the left. If you accidentally go three click to the left, you turn off DRLs.)
I use my fog lights when ever its dusk/dawn or hazy so my taillights will stay on. Think most forget with DRL the tail lights don't turn on. Also no need to tap off when leaving, the fog lights shut off when you close the door. Interestingly if you leave them on and are only out of the car for under 5 minutes they will come on when you start the car next time.

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
I guess I fall under the dummy clause.

I turn off the DRL's every time I get in the car........
If that's the case why not just remove the spring from the switch so you can leave them off? I also wonder why you would do this? Is it so you can make that $15 bulb last longer? Think I would rather replace the bulb sooner than pay my insurance deductible or possibly with my life. Remember its not for you its so the other idiots can see you sooner. You would be surprised how those lights may get someones attention whom was texting and driving!

·
Registered
122 Posts
I've tried the "tap the turn signal" feature when changing lanes but don't use it. Unfortunately, I found that when I change lanes I need SIX turn signal blinks.

The way I change lanes, the first two blinks are for signaling other drivers that I intend to change lanes, then the remaining four blinks are for the actual lane change.

Maybe I'm just too courteous of a driver! :grin:

·
Premium Member
5,534 Posts
The DRL debate rages on sort of......Nothing to do with bulb longetivity.

If the DRL had a dramatic benefit I might be on board......trouble is, the majority of other manufacturers don't provide it in the US and I don't see any more 'other brands' wadded up more than those with the system.

I remember back in the 70's, it became compulsory to operate a motorcycle with the headlights in operation....I cannot, to this day, determine if that helped one bit......left turns in front of me as well as driveway pull outs seem as frequent as ever.

I contend a driver actually paying attention (that means, quit looking at the phone/radio/stars/moon/GF/lady on the sidewalk/yada yada would help and since they aren't looking where they're going I could mount a operating lightbar and they won't see it in their lap.

Remember, these are the same folks that turn in front of police cars and fire trucks.....lights and sirens........or turn in front of a tractor trailer.
If they survive the ordeal, the story is the same....."I did not see it" is what is said as opposed to "I wasn't looking".

All of my sons trucks are set up to operate, 'All Lights On'......when I'm driving one, I must be invisiable.......Black with red fenders, lights on, says Peterbuilt....still get a oncoming left........they look at me (finally) when they can hear the trailer tires dancing......and then some of them flip me the bird.......cause my presence scared them I guess.

But, for my own car(s)......I just prefer them off.......

Rob

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
My only complaint about the Cruze DRL is they look lame using the headlights. Which reminds me, I need to go find a source for LED/Fog light bezels before they dry up because of the 2nd Gen Cruze.

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
Which reminds me, I need to go find a source for LED/Fog light bezels before they dry up because of the 2nd Gen Cruze.
I have been buying a few trim parts that I know will look worn in a few years and I think they will hard to find later because of the 2nd Gen. Not a bad idea to plan ahead.

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
My only complaint about the Cruze DRL is they look lame using the headlights.
The real problem with the cruze DRL on the 2011-2014 models was the DRL being the headlights hides the turn signal form other drivers. Never had it happen as much as in the cruze, people don't see my signal and sit where I will be turning instead of pulling out like they normally would. I believe this is why you now see the 2015+ and all new 2016 have them moved lower as an LED strip.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts