Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

New Cruze owner here; just traded in my '07 Cobalt (I'll miss that car...) for the '17 Cruze LT. The car is not even 150 miles old and had a malfunction of the auto stop/start feature. At a red light and the auto stop engaged. When I lifted off brake and went to accelerate, engine did not restart. So I basically stalled there at the intersection. Was able to shift it in park and restart the engine with the key, but I got no check engine lights or anything of the sort during this time. Obviously concerning with the car being three days old. Will take it to the dealership and have them figure it out, but without a light on I'm not sure what they can do for me. No current recalls for my VIN. Anyone else hear of this problem?

Thanks!

·
Registered
253 Posts
Never had that happen yet to me. Is this the only time it happened? Might just be a clitch in the system. You don't have to go into park to restart you can go in to neutral and restart it. If it keeps it up, keep track of how often its happening so the dealer can keep the car and repeat the issue.

·
Premium Member
1,372 Posts
I've never seen that happen. However, that's why you have a warranty. Go to the dealer. They have a system that plugs into the auto-stop system and can recreate the issue hopefully. There is no recall for your VIN because there is no recall.

·
2,254 Posts
We have had about 4 come in with the exact same symptoms, which is why I'm so aggravated and biased against the whole system in general.

Not sure what they do but I think it's something with the computer.

EDIT:

That's weird it didn't throw a CEL. I think others have thrown one.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good to know! I plan on taking it to the dealer ASAP but I was curious if this was a known issue as of yet. I thought it was odd as well that it didn't throw a CEL. If the issue recurs I'd be curious to see if it throws one in the future.

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
I don't have a problem per say putting this on a car if I can disable it, I just am not a fan of this feature and probably never will be. Good luck with getting this fixed, it is probably something minor. But still a good way to get into an accident if someone isn't paying attention behind you.

Reactions: chevrasaki

·
Registered
69 Posts
I just had my first no-restart issue last evening, but it may have been my fault. I was sitting at a stop sign waiting for traffic. I started to let off the brake and the starter kicked the engine over about one crank. Someone came flying around the corner, so I had to hit the brake again, which stopped the starter. The engine didn't start, and when I let my foot off the brake again, the engine did not restart. I had to shift to neutral and restart. My thinking is I confused the system because I reapplied the brake quickly during restarting.

·
Premium Member
1,372 Posts
I just had my first no-restart issue last evening, but it may have been my fault. I was sitting at a stop sign waiting for traffic. I started to let off the brake and the starter kicked the engine over about one crank. Someone came flying around the corner, so I had to hit the brake again, which stopped the starter. The engine didn't start, and when I let my foot off the brake again, the engine did not restart. I had to shift to neutral and restart. My thinking is I confused the system because I reapplied the brake quickly during restarting.
I wonder if that's a thing. Good on you for noticing exactly what you were doing when it happened. I'll try on my automatic sedan maybe tonight.

·
Registered
69 Posts
It seems like if the stop-start system is cranking to restart the engine and you reapply the brake, it confuses the system. In talking to one of the techs this morning out in the shop, he said it can cause the system to get confused. He said most times if you wait a few seconds, the system will "reset itself" and then you can go. But in other circumstances, like what I experienced, it won't. So it seems you MUST let the system completely restart the engine before reapplying the brake. If it's done during the crank-over, it can confuse it.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
First car with AT was a 49 Olds 98, first AT was in a 39 Olds, never found one of these.

Read about how the torque converter really gets hot when stopped in gear, so been shifting into neutral ever since. Just because its an automatic, doesn't mean you have to leave it in D. Most of the vehicles had an MT, have to do something, step on the clutch, definitely shift gears.

What's the thinking behind killing the engine, and is there a time delay? In cities have a stop sign at every block, just for a second, but at traffic lights during the so-called rush hour, seems like a half a day.

Is this to protect the torque converter, or fuel economy? Sure doesn't sound like the latter, emissions control is worthless until the engine warms up with an added problem of thermal cycling, aluminum and plastics do not like thermal cycling.

Anybody know why they are doing this?

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
16,800 Posts
First car with AT was a 49 Olds 98, first AT was in a 39 Olds, never found one of these.

Read about how the torque converter really gets hot when stopped in gear, so been shifting into neutral ever since. Just because its an automatic, doesn't mean you have to leave it in D. Most of the vehicles had an MT, have to do something, step on the clutch, definitely shift gears.

What's the thinking behind killing the engine, and is there a time delay? In cities have a stop sign at every block, just for a second, but at traffic lights during the so-called rush hour, seems like a half a day.

Is this to protect the torque converter, or fuel economy? Sure doesn't sound like the latter, emissions control is worthless until the engine warms up with an added problem of thermal cycling, aluminum and plastics do not like thermal cycling.

Anybody know why they are doing this?
Cruze AT knocks itself into neutral at a stop, as do some other newer transmissions from other brands...saves a little bit of fuel that would be wasted trying to drive the front wheels when they're held by the brakes. The new 6T35 has a hydraulic accumulator to help it get quickly back into gear as the engine restarts.

Move the first cat close to the engine for fast light-off, then shut engine down when cat is up to temp...it works. The new engine gets up to temp VERY quickly compared to the old 1.4L. And in cases where you're sitting at a stoplight for long periods, it does indeed save fuel.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am having the same issue. I picked up the 2017 Cruze LT on Monday and at a traffic light after being a couple of minutes in it the needle in the tachomoter went from auto-stop to off and the car didn't wake up. I had to push the start button in Park to restart it.

Took it to the dealership and they couldn't replicate it even though it happened to me several times. Now I don't trust the car. Does anyone have found a solution?

Thanks.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Had a second failure today. My wife was driving. Soon after starting, we came to a stop sign. My wife applied the brakes and the engine shut off. After traffic cleared, she took her foot off the brake and went to apply the gas. She says it just never restarted. She has a habit of hitting the brake pedal with the edge of her shoe as she moves towards the gas. I think she may have done that and shut the cranking off like I had done weeks ago. After more carefully watching her foot to make sure she didn't contact the brake pedal when reaching for the gas pedal, there were no more issues. I am continuing to monitor what is causing this, but it seems it when the brake pedal is tapped or reapplied during restarting.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I posted on a older post as well.I'm having this issue with stalling on my 2017 chevy cruze.I have a open case with GM and car is at dealer for second time.First time they said they couldn't find anything.If your having this issue please contact GM and tell them the problem so I don't look crazy.And its documented.Its very dangerous that the car is stalling and if I'm the only one complaining they may not help as much as if everyone that is having the issue contact them.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Yep. I had my car in for it. Like your situation, there were no codes and they couldn't replicate it. There was a PCM reflash available, which they did. Every time it happens, I will take my car in, so that way a file gets built with all the failures. My hope is that if enough people complain or have issues, GM will scrap the stop-start system.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Yep. I had my car in for it. Like your situation, there were no codes and they couldn't replicate it. There was a PCM reflash available, which they did. Every time it happens, I will take my car in, so that way a file gets built with all the failures. My hope is that if enough people complain or have issues, GM will scrap the stop-start system.
They won't scrap it, they may find a way to "dummy proof" it though, what I mean is either the override switch or perfect it.

·
Administrator
25,486 Posts
They won't scrap it but it does sound like there's a path or two through the engine management code that is failing. Start/Stop is integral to better city fuel economy since idling results in 0 MPG. We have numerous threads here where Gen 1 Cruzes are getting really bad city MPG and it turns out people are letting their cars idle to warm up. I suspect some of the unresolved threads that aren't warm up idle related are related to sitting an inordinate amount of time at stop lights.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts