Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 214 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not a big fan of this at all. On my other car, I have the auto start-stop and it could be defeated by pressing a button then all subsequent restarts, the last saved selection will carry through. Is this a permanent start-stop? If it is, that could be a deal breaker.:angry:

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
5,903 Posts
Why, specifically, do you not like it. From all the reviews I've been reading, it's one of the smoothest ones yet.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I don't notice it at all 90% of the time. Otherwise, I can semi-defeat it by leaving the fan on low with the A/C button pressed, or by letting up on the break just a bit after a stop, before the car turns off. It's annoying in stop-n-go traffic.

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
I also have no interest in it at all. I don't want a big battery in the trunk, and I don't want whatever additional circuitry, wiring and crazy starter motor it requires. Just more things to go wrong and then the crappy dealers to say they can't duplicate.

·
Premium Member
5,903 Posts
I also have no interest in it at all. I don't want a big battery in the trunk, and I don't want whatever additional circuitry, wiring and crazy starter motor it requires. Just more things to go wrong and then the crappy dealers to say they can't duplicate.
I'm quite sure that's the only battery. If the vehicle has a second battery for the stop/start, it's very small - a'la the E-Assist cars.

My Cobalt has the battery in the trunk - and I much prefer it back there. Easier to remove if needed, and far easier to power an amplifier. Better weight distribution anyway.

And from GM's press release:

Stop/start technology is paired with the automatic transmission and contributes to efficiency in stop-and-go driving.

·
Registered
355 Posts
One other feature was well on display here, too: the stop/start system. Chevrolet made a bold move by not allowing the driver to shut the system off. It’s always on. Always. The good? It’s one of the better systems out there, and it’s doing great things for fuel economy. The bad? It’s still pretty rigid occasionally, shaking the car to life from time to time. Chevrolet has struck a good balance when it’s activated, though. For example, when sitting at a stoplight, the engine will be off. If the driver creeps forward, the car comes to life again and stays that way. It does not shut off again. It helps the system feel less intrusive, and frankly, less annoying.

Read more: 2016 Chevrolet Cruze Review | GM Authority

·
Registered
355 Posts
There is a lot of misconception about the current auto-stop start systems not only on this thread, but the forum as a whole. Auto-stop start is one of those things you will have to learn to live with if you plan on buying a new car, because all major auto manufacturers are committed to the technology. GM has been using its current iteration of the system since the 2014 model year, and it is one of those things you never see issues with. Auto-stop start should be one of those mechanical systems you should worry the least about compared to the other complicated systems in these new vehicles. The current GM system uses a specially designed and manufactured starter to start the car, the system also keeps the transmission pump running to circulate the fluids in the transmission. I have not had a chance to review the tech docs concerning the second generation Cruze, but some of the systems have 2 batteries, one to keep the electrical system running when the motor is off, and another to start the car. I do not know if the Cruze does, I can get back to you on that. eAssist was a mild hybrid system, completely different then the current stop-start technology which is just a specially designed starter motor and some other minor changes.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
This happens a lot. People inherently fear the new and unknown.
Don't really fear just wonder about the long term reliability of it and the ability to repair it cheaply if it needs repairing.

I know cars today are generally designed to go 10 years but some of us keep them much longer and maybe tend to give or sell them to family members/friends because we have taken care of them and have documented everything.

I just hope if all these gadgets break 15 or 20 years down the road it won't keep the car from performing it's main function and that is to get me from point A to point B or to work. I don't subscribe to on star but if the box broke and my compass stopped working I would be pissed that they tied the compass in with the on star because the compass wasn't something I bought with the understanding I had to keep paying a monthly fee for it to keep working along with the blue tooth. Both those items are simple and cheap to implement without being tied to a service that you have to pay a monthly fee and both should be standard items no matter what level trim or what car you buy.

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
Yet another reason to pass on first year production of a new vehicle. I'm waiting until the 2018 models before making a purchase decision.

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
Excuse me ignorance, but the vehicle physically shuts the engine off when you come to a stop? How absurd. I get it cuts on emissions, but how is this safe? If there's a hazard coming my way I want to be able to step on a gas and go, not wait for the car to start itself and then go.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
Excuse me ignorance, but the vehicle physically shuts the engine off when you come to a stop? How absurd. I get it cuts on emissions, but how is this safe? If there's a hazard coming my way I want to be able to step on a gas and go, not wait for the car to start itself and then go.
I'd wait and see how it works first. The ones I've heard at the stop like don't "Start", they just resume running. Apparently some systems position the engine just right on shutdown such that firing the spark plug gets it going.

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
I find the start stop a useless feature. If I cant disable it I won't buy any car with this. I am open to new stuff I just don't like this feature and not buying it.

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
I'm definitely not afraid of new technology. Actually, I am often an early adopter of many new technologies. But, a car is an expensive money pit, and adding a lot of additional tech to a car increases the chance that something will go wrong and cost me a lot of money at some point. I would prefer not to have my windows controlled by a computer. I would prefer to use an old fashioned key for the doors and trunk. And I don't want a car that has to restart over and over at every stop light. It's not fear of technology, it's practical and reasonable thinking.

On a side note, why aren't there laws requiring cities to time lights so that we don't have to stop at every light. It seems like most cities are actually timing lights so that you HAVE to stop at every light. With all the hype about global warming, cities should be required to time lights better. Cities should be required to install computers that can learn traffic flow patterns. There were a few streets in San Francisco that were timed for 35 MPH, but they have actually been getting rid of those and forcing people to stop at every light. Proper timing of lights would eliminate the need for stop-start technology in cars.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
On a side note, why aren't there laws requiring cities to time lights so that we don't have to stop at every light.
Sing it, brother. Congress pushes CAFE limits, yet, that's also a competitive feature for buyers. Which means they're already driven to improve. Yet, the timing of the lights is something only local government can control. I think the Feds need to shift the focus of future gains from beating up car makers to making traffic flow.

·
Premium Member
5,903 Posts
I want to be able to step on a gas and go, not wait for the car to start itself and then go.
Which is exactly how it works. It's instantaneous. The INSTANT you let off the brake pedal and/or touch the gas - the engine is already running, and you're moving, like you would if the engine had never "turned off" in the first place.

They've been using stop start widely for YEARS in Europe, this isn't something new - and the Cruze is one of the best-executed yet.

You're clearly against something you don't have much experience with - let alone actual driving experience with.

·
Premium Member
5,903 Posts
Sing it, brother. Congress pushes CAFE limits, yet, that's also a competitive feature for buyers. Which means they're already driven to improve. Yet, the timing of the lights is something only local government can control. I think the Feds need to shift the focus of future gains from beating up car makers to making traffic flow.
Absolutely - the amount of fuel that could be saved by actually timing lights correctly could be astounding - let alone the time everyone would save. And it goes without saying: much lower emissions.

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
Which is exactly how it works. It's instantaneous. The INSTANT you let off the brake pedal and/or touch the gas - the engine is already running, and you're moving, like you would if the engine had never "turned off" in the first place.

They've been using stop start widely for YEARS in Europe, this isn't something new - and the Cruze is one of the best-executed yet.

You're clearly against something you don't have much experience with - let alone actual driving experience with.
I for one get sick of being compared to Europe, just for the record. I think it is a feature that is fine so long as I can disable it. Starting and stopping and engine more times cannot be good for the engine long term plus I have driven a Chevy with this feature and I HATED it. Its just more crap to go wrong. I sure hope the new diesel cruze doesn't have it. Just for the record VW is a part of Europe and look at the mess they created, I guess if you want to compare us there we win many times over for being honest and not screwing the world with cheating and lots of bad emissions gasses.

1 - 20 of 214 Posts