Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

Not sure if this has been asked before; does anyone know if the 2018 models have a switch to turn off the auto stop/start feature?

Thanks,
H.

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
5,876 Posts
There is not a switch, no.

The 2018 Equinox loaner we have right now has it, I see no reason to ever turn it off. I actually got upset when it wouldn't stop while we were at a light, but that may have been because we had the air on full blast. Rolled down the windows so it wouldn't have any trouble stopping the engine.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,479 Posts
and GM wonders why people are buying the corolla and civic. Eliminate this useless feature GM.
Toyota/Honda have this "useless" feature on other vehicles as well (Pilot, Odyssey, Highlander)

People buy the Corolla because they're sheep and the Civic because the auto reviewers love it.

·
Premium Member
1,013 Posts
The only issue with auto start/stop is when it breaks, which I honestly have yet to see. It's extremely seamless and most reviewers praise the chevys for doing such a good job with it. The only con to it is the possible slight thud that it may produce, but I never experienced this and I drive like a bat outta **** trying to improve my green light reaction time, and it needing to start back up didn't slow me down in the least, and this was in a Chevy from 2014..

·
Premium Member
1,351 Posts
I am constantly baffled by the people that are so against this feature.
Thats because you have a manual. I couldn't stand it. Its intrusive, to me. I roll into the garage, creeping up, to make sure Im all the way in, so the door closes, without hitting my car. The [email protected] car dies at 1-2 MPH, and restarts, again, immediately, for me to pull up 3 more inches. Almost as annoying, is, when you're trying to make a right turn, at a red light, and the cross traffic is hauling mail. I often creep up anticipating pulling out, and I let my foot off the brake to creep, and the car doesn't move, why? because its not friggin running. Cant stand this stupid feature.

BNR sent my tune to me, last night, and Jerry DISABLED it for me. No more auto start. POS.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Yeah, I don't get this S/S feature myself. My car does not have it thank goodness, but if we have cars EASILY getting 40-50 MPG without it, why in gods name do we need it? So we can get 41 or 51 mpg? Nobody can ever convince me this does not create added wear and tear on the car's starter, tranny, engine. Plus, as previously pointed out, when going very slow or parking it's intrusively aggravating.

·
17,479 Posts
Yeah, I don't get this S/S feature myself. My car does not have it thank goodness, but if we have cars EASILY getting 40-50 MPG without it, why in gods name do we need it? So we can get 41 or 51 mpg? Nobody can ever convince me this does not create added wear and tear on the car's starter, tranny, engine. Plus, as previously pointed out, when going very slow or parking it's intrusively aggravating.
No. City MPG, not highway.

Thats because you have a manual. I couldn't stand it. Its intrusive, to me. I roll into the garage, creeping up, to make sure Im all the way in, so the door closes, without hitting my car. The [email protected] car dies at 1-2 MPH, and restarts, again, immediately, for me to pull up 3 more inches. Almost as annoying, is, when you're trying to make a right turn, at a red light, and the cross traffic is hauling mail. I often creep up anticipating pulling out, and I let my foot off the brake to creep, and the car doesn't move, why? because its not friggin running. Cant stand this stupid feature.

BNR sent my tune to me, last night, and Jerry DISABLED it for me. No more auto start. POS.
Meh. You learn to live with it (or shift to L when it needs to be disabled).

I've let my dad and gf drive my car. Both stopped noticing it shutting off after a day or two of driving it. It's pretty seamless when you're not in stop-and-go traffic.

There SHOULD be a delay of a few seconds before it shuts down, though. I think that would alleviate a lot of complaints - mine as well.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
How about when you have your foot on the accelerator, the engine can't shut off? Make parking easier you'd think. Otherwise, this seems like a lawsuit waiting to happen after the car gets older and components may not operate properly. I mean, have you ever seen those crazy Chinese driving videos? I think they are victims of this stop/start. The car stops, they gun it to make it go and flatten an family of four or drive off of a 15 story parking garage.

·
17,479 Posts
How about when you have your foot on the accelerator, the engine can't shut off? Make parking easier you'd think. Otherwise, this seems like a lawsuit waiting to happen after the car gets older and components may not operate properly. I mean, have you ever seen those crazy Chinese driving videos? I think they are victims of this stop/start. The car stops, they gun it to make it go and flatten an family of four or drive off of a 15 story parking garage.
If you're touching the brake and gas at the same time (I've seen people that do - mostly quite older), you shouldn't have a license. Same stupid crap that Toyota got sued over; they now have a defeat written into their software that disables the accelerator when the driver's foot is also on the brake and the car is moving. Newer Toyotas also hesitate quite a bit if you suddenly slam on the gas...I'm not sure if that is also intentional, or just slow transmission response, but it's annoying.

Any time your foot is OFF the brake pedal in a GM, the engine's running.

Most people creep around parking lots/spaces without ever touching the gas pedal...I do it myself. I've gotten into the habit of knocking the shifter into neutral as I make the final turn into my parking spot, but that may not work for everyone.

·
Premium Member
5,876 Posts
If you're touching the brake and gas at the same time (I've seen people that do - mostly quite older), you shouldn't have a license.
Unless you're trail braking. But I don't think you have to worry about start-stop activating then, because you'll be going significantly faster than stopped.

Or doing a brake stand.

·
17,479 Posts
Unless you're trail braking. But I don't think you have to worry about start-stop activating then, because you'll be going significantly faster than stopped.

Or doing a brake stand.
Ok, for an AVERAGE driver that buys a Cruze to go from Point A to B, not someone that drives like it's a race car :D

·
Premium Member
5,876 Posts
Ok, for an AVERAGE driver that buys a Cruze to go from Point A to B, not someone that drives like it's a race car :D
Yeah - it's generally hoped that someone doesn't mix up the pedals.

And the hesitation is just lag caused by throttle-by-wire.

·
Premium Member
1,351 Posts
Jb, I’m with you. I just got tired of remembering to go through all of that. Shifting, keeping the A/C on. I drive 60 miles to work, and get off of the highway, and hit the first light. Bam, it dies. I’ve put 4,500 miles on mine, in 7 weeks. I gave it, it’s chance, it’s gone. And I’m loving every minute of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
1,372 Posts

I have a manual hatch and an automatic sedan. My girlfriend is consistently getting 50 mpg in almost exclusively rush hour driving. You just need to relearn how to drive it.

·
Premium Member
5,876 Posts
I have a manual hatch and an automatic sedan. My girlfriend is consistently getting 50 mpg in almost exclusively rush hour driving. You just need to relearn how to drive it.
My mom has start-stop on her '17 Fusion and was hesitant to get it (back when it was an option) - and she doesn't even notice it on hers. She drives a whole lot of stop & go city and has no issues, and isn't terrified or appalled by it.

Driving the Equinox for almost a week, my wife never had one issue relating to stop-start (nor did I when I drove it), and we drive almost completely city.

Reactions: jblackburn

·
Premium Member
1,351 Posts
I’ll never be able to drive it slow enough for it to even get 40mpg. I live an hour from work, and that’s with no traffic. I leave 2 hours before my shift starts to stop off and get what I need, for work, and to relax in the parking lot, a little, before the night starts. I can’t leave any earlier. So, I can’t drive 55mph to work, to get that kind of gas mileage. The I80 stretch, I drive on, the average speed of cars traveling, without getting run over, is about 73mph.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
22 Posts
I am like most others and don't like the Auto Stop on the new 2017 Cruze LS 1.4 auto I just bought (7k demo) . I was looking to buy a used old style Cruze, to avoid this feature ,when I saw a good deal on this 2017. This feature is coming on all cars eventually so there will be no choice anyway. I wish it could at least be switched off. If you give it a second or two to properly start before accelerating you don't hear what sounds like the gnashing of the steel starter motor gear and the fly wheel gears.I got 466,000 km on my previous 2001 Sunfire with the original starter motor and 350,000km on my 1989 Corsica before that, but the starter was replaced once on that. I don't remember at what mileage. Even though the Cruze starter is supposed to be designed for the constant start stop , I can see it failing just after the warranty is up.That is the biggest issue with it. I haven't even been able to find it on the engine.I may get BNA to program it out, and I will certainly use L6 in stop and go city driving. It is also annoying how the engine stops then restarts if you are going to put the car into Park and turn it off anyway.Start stop should be disabled if the turn signals are on, so that you can quickly accelerate to make your turn, when there is an opening.Anyone know if there is a second battery for the start stop like on the Malibu ?
Thanks
Nov 6 2017

1 - 20 of 40 Posts