Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Browsing on GM's China press site I came across a Cruze Hatch interior shot. You can clearly see the button all the way to the left (closest to the driver) is indeed an Auto Stop/Start ON & OFF button! Followed to the right by the traction control button and then the parking sensor buttons for the front and also the rear.

The question of the year is... How can we get our hands on this button in order to reverse engineer and hopefully figure out a way to install this?

Source:
http://media.gm.com/media/cn/en/chevrolet/vehicles/Cruze-HB/2018.html

Discuss!

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Online manuals for GEN1 cruzes also mention an on/off relay. I think it would take some time reading service information to see if there is a relay that could be removed to force the system into thinking that stop start could not activate.

My local library has switched back to Alldata but I can't seem to connect personal computer devices. Anyone have the electrical drawing of the start stop system?

There's been several posts on the control conditions, but I haven't seen the control circuit. Does the BCM control a relay that could be removed? Guessing maybe not that easy, but if someone has access to this please post.

Reactions: quailallstar

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
I would assume that the system would be tied in to the same starter relay. And controlled by whatever control module that runs the engine. Used to be called ECM but now i think it's called PCM. And since there's software that can reflash the computer to turn it off.

THat chinese model looks like it has 4 switches where as we only have 2.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
Odd are, its all done in code. There is no special relay. The ones built for China are likely running different code in their modules. I don't think those cars are built in the US or Mexico factories that supply the US.

This would most likely be something like a "tune" to remove the start/stop.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Odd are, its all done in code. There is no special relay. The ones built for China are likely running different code in their modules. I don't think those cars are built in the US or Mexico factories that supply the US.

This would most likely be something like a "tune" to remove the start/stop.
How about Trifecta or BNR coming up with a “inexpensive Tune” that only shuts off the auto stop/start - No other changes? Would that be illegal? It would void your warranty if the dealership found it.

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
How about Trifecta or BNR coming up with a “inexpensive Tune” that only shuts off the auto stop/start - No other changes? Would that be illegal? It would void your warranty if the dealership found it.
I emailed one of them to specifically ask if that was a possibility. AS that's all i really want. The answer was no.

Too bad we can't buy whatever software they use and change parameters. Like what semi's have.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I emailed one of them to specifically ask if that was a possibility. AS that's all i really want. The answer was no.

Too bad we can't buy whatever software they use and change parameters. Like what semi's have.
The irony about this is that the GM Chevy IT guys could very easily create a “Tune” that disables it. I think the GM Dealership Service Departments could make a lot of extra $$$ if Corporate created it and allowed them to offer it at a reasonable price to the Cruze, Malibu, Equinox etc owners if they really don’t like the auto stop/start feature.

·
Registered
91 Posts
2018 CHBTD here, I am not a big fan of the auto start/stop but am getting used to it. I am wondering what specifically people dislike about it so much.
I have read 1 post with a specific concern,that was pulling out into traffic from a stop( can’t remember details) wondering what others have?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Oh you guys don't have that? Standard in China version. BUT it is switching it off only until the next manual start. On is default, i wish it would be the other way around. However my start/stop function is rarely working, since i can get the preconditions to be fulfilled, so it doesn't matter much to me.
One of the buttons is parking assist (not parking sensors separately) by the way, it basically scans the surrounding at tells you what to do when parking.

1024x0_1_q87_autohomecar__wKgFWln8hbaAF1KOAAUhxdoWKS0205.jpg

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh you guys don't have that? Standard in China version. BUT it is switching it off only until the next manual start. On is default, i wish it would be the other way around. However my start/stop function is rarely working, since i can get the preconditions to be fulfilled, so it doesn't matter much to me.
One of the buttons is parking assist (not parking sensors separately) by the way, it basically scans the surrounding at tells you what to do when parking.

View attachment 259617
Thanks for posting this! Is there any way you could tell us the part numbers for the two buttons closest to the left. The auto stop/start and traction control, please? We would need to install both because the US model has the traction control where your auto stop/start is located.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Thanks for posting this! Is there any way you could tell us the part numbers for the two buttons closest to the left. The auto stop/start and traction control, please? We would need to install both because the US model has the traction control where your auto stop/start is located.
Actually i can offer you a different option:

800x0_1_q87_autohomecar__wKjBw1ms4kOAIyNnAAa5b-V8oyI126 (1).jpg

Although i have the Chinese EPC i cannot get it to run because of some database issue. Other sources did not bring any results.
I am as well afraid that you will need some coding to get it to work, or even worse additional wiring and hardware etc.
I dont know if anyone here has a GM MDI, but i was thinking to get one because i am also interested in doing some coding. We could compare the codes then and might have chance to figure it out.

·
Registered
137 Posts
2018 CHBTD here, I am not a big fan of the auto start/stop but am getting used to it. I am wondering what specifically people dislike about it so much.
I have read 1 post with a specific concern,that was pulling out into traffic from a stop( can’t remember details) wondering what others have?
I had a similar problem to the one you mention above. Shortly after purchasing my 2017 LT I was in city traffic trying to find an address in an area that I was not familiar with. Stopping half way in the intersection to make a turn the AS/S engaged and the hesitation trying to turn it front of the oncoming traffic was really unsettling. The restarting of the engine is not very smooth (at least in my car). Also on this trip the car jumped a little bit forward a couple of times when restarting from the stop. I truly do not like the AS/S feature and now always drive in L6 unless I forget to shift into it, but don’t worry I’m reminded of that at the first traffic light. 75% of my driving is in city situations. GM could have easily given us that “off button feature” here in the States but chose not to do so, WHY I don’t know? Fortunately we do have the “L6” option which is a slightly bigger “PITA” then just pushing a button.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,167 Posts
I've just gotten used to moving it down to "L" in constant stop-and-go traffic like the parking lot that is I95. Not a big deal for me.

I happen to love AS/S in city driving. Great when sitting at a light, etc. When I see an opportunity to move off, I let up on the brake pre-emptively and I'm off.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Drive sneaky to fool the auto-stop. When I stop at a light I back off on the brake pedal pressure just enough that the car doesn't move ahead again and the stop-start thing doesn't happen.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Drive sneaky to fool the auto-stop. When I stop at a light I back off on the brake pedal pressure just enough that the car doesn't move ahead again and the stop-start thing doesn't happen.
Yeah, I might give that another try WHEN SPRING “REALLY” ARRIVES in NJ so that the temperature always stays above 40F and the AS/S is active. I will not use it if I’m going to an area that I’m not familiar with.

·
Premium Member
1,247 Posts
I don't do that at red lights, where the car is supposed to shut down. I do it at stop signs, where there's no point in shutting it down as I start back up after a one second stop with no cross traffic.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Wow. Off topic, but the Chinese Model ALSO has an SD card slot and dual USB ports under the radio. Why do the U.S. versions always get the shaft for the things consumers WANT?! (HID/LED lighting also comes to mind that other countries get on the Cruze, that the U.S. Does not!)

·
Registered
158 Posts
Wow. Off topic, but the Chinese Model ALSO has an SD card slot and dual USB ports under the radio. Why do the U.S. versions always get the shaft for the things consumers WANT?! (HID/LED lighting also comes to mind that other countries get on the Cruze, that the U.S. Does not!)
The SDcard slot is occupied with the satnav map though. Which is a pretty nifty design, card in and the icon appears on the screen. Didn't try if it works for storage.
The USB ports are rather annoying as they always connect for data transfer not charging only. Ended up using a charging adapter in the cigarette lighter.
The flaps on the US model would bother me though.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The SDcard slot is occupied with the satnav map though. Which is a pretty nifty design, card in and the icon appears on the screen. Didn't try if it works for storage.
The USB ports are rather annoying as they always connect for data transfer not charging only. Ended up using a charging adapter in the cigarette lighter.
The flaps on the US model would bother me though.
The flapps bother me a lot. The dual USB - does it allow you to connect a media device like an iPod and also and Android phone at the same time? I would like to be able to listen to my iPod while using Android auto through the phone.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
158 Posts
The flapps bother me a lot. The dual USB - does it allow you to connect a media device like an iPod and also and Android phone at the same time? I would like to be able to listen to my iPod while using Android auto through the phone.
Never tried. I like to have my files on a dedicated storage device and not on the phone etc. In doubt i go over Bluetooth. But you must also know the Chinese UI is very different. For example there is no Android Auto, since most Google products are blocked to support local business.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts