Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So it's been a couple of weeks since I picked up my new 2018. Love the car except for the Auto Stop/Start feature.

I wish there was a way to permanently disable it. I see that if I put on A/C not using the eco setting it will reduce the number Auto Stop and I can use L6 to drive in to disable it.

The reason it is both annoying and dangerous for me, is that I live on a side street that meets a very busy arterial road which people drive too fast on. I have to frequently (when turning left from our street), wait for a space in traffic and then punch the accelerator to get mid way into the center turning lane, and then wait for a another break to merge into traffic. Much to my horror there was a ms delay in accelerating out of my street. Now, it's not enough to cause a serious problem now I know about it, but it was still a bit of a shock the first time, when I realized the engine had stopped and restarted with a bit of a stutter. I now use L6 to drive out of my street.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
First real-world evidence where Auto Start/Stop is an issue. Thanks for posting this as well as your work around.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Maybe Trifecta or BNR will come up with a retune where all they do is get rid of the Auto Stop and sell it a lower cost than their normal retune.Right now it is winter and the AutoStop does not work, probably because the battery temperature sensor is indicating that the battery is too cold. I'm not looking forward to the nuisance of Auto Stop again in the summer. It definatly should have been designed to be disabled when the turn signals are on. It shows that not much thought was put into the system.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Does it auto stop if you still have the throttle open a little? My buddy left foot brakes. Sometimes, he'll apply the throttle a little without letting off the brake. He does this especially when the need to accelerate faster appears. He's a very spirited driver. And he's top level driver who left foot brakes on 3 pedal cars as well.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Apparently, when they get Federal Mileage tested , one of the requirements now is that Start-Stop is non-defeatable , unlike previous versions. I do believe there are certain settings of HVAC /climate control that keep it running and also other things that can be done for testing or diagnostic purposes like at dealer. On most of the Caddys now, it's non-defeatable.

·
Premium Member
881 Posts
When I had a Malibu rental car with the feature, I could trick the engine to start again after coming to a complete stop by taking my foot completely off the brake (completely was the key) and rolling forward about a foot, then stopping again. The engine would kick on and not shut off, because there was a certain speed that had to be reached before it would "reset" and turn off again after rolling forward and stopping again. Give that trick a shot, and see if they removed that "loophole" too. I'm guessing there's got to be someone (a genius electrical engineer) out there that will figure out how to fake the system out and disable it. Perhaps something as simple as an electrical jumper to trick the computer somehow into thinking it never comes to a complete stop.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,487 Posts
When I had a Malibu rental car with the feature, I could trick the engine to start again after coming to a complete stop by taking my foot completely off the brake (completely was the key) and rolling forward about a foot, then stopping again. The engine would kick on and not shut off, because there was a certain speed that had to be reached before it would "reset" and turn off again after rolling forward and stopping again. Give that trick a shot, and see if they removed that "loophole" too. I'm guessing there's got to be someone (a genius electrical engineer) out there that will figure out how to fake the system out and disable it. Perhaps something as simple as an electrical jumper to trick the computer somehow into thinking it never comes to a complete stop.
Yeah, this. If im going to be darting out into traffic, I just let up on the brake before I'm ready to roll out.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,487 Posts
Maybe Trifecta or BNR will come up with a retune where all they do is get rid of the Auto Stop and sell it a lower cost than their normal retune.Right now it is winter and the AutoStop does not work, probably because the battery temperature sensor is indicating that the battery is too cold. I'm not looking forward to the nuisance of Auto Stop again in the summer. It definatly should have been designed to be disabled when the turn signals are on. It shows that not much thought was put into the system.
Doesn't shut off under 41F

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
The GEN1 Released in Europe had start stop, and the Mitchell professional online service manuals at my library show a start stop relay module that was mounted in the dash on the GEN 1's. This same manual shows service information for the 1.2L and 1.6L. I know Australia got the 1.6L, but I didn't realize there was a 1.2L that was a similar design to the 1.4L GEN1 engine.

Unfortunately the GEN2 cars are not old enough for this system to have service details. Nearly everyone with a GEN2 is still under warranty, so these aftermarket digital service manual providers don't publish the entire thing when the first car comes off the factory line.

If someone had access to the GM Service information and searched "Start/Stop" there might be a control module that could be removed. It would probably set a service light, but I would believe that removing this module would default to never activating the stop, as that would be the safer thing to do.

Anyone with access to GM Service know if this is the case?

Reactions: Booger

·
Registered
22 Posts
Maybe someone can design a change to the temperature sensor on the battery in the trunk, by perhaps soldering in a resistor or whatever, so that the computer will think the battery is always too cold for Auto Stop to work. I assume there are other air temperature sensors for the operation of the engine. I once came across a website where someone bypassed the hood latch switch to defeat Auto Stop, but I can't find it again. However the "Hood Open" message would constantly be displayed on the dash.

·
Registered
516 Posts
When I am in traffic such as your situation....
Put the gear shifter all the way down to "L", hit the button on the shifter until the readout on the screen goes up to six. The vehicle will now function normally without the stop/start feature.
The L function on the transmission is just a way to set a maximum gear. You could just click up to 4 or 5, but if you put in in six, you don't have to worry about it in case you are on the freeway, etc

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Maybe someone can design a change to the temperature sensor on the battery in the trunk, by perhaps soldering in a resistor or whatever, so that the computer will think the battery is always too cold for Auto Stop to work. I assume there are other air temperature sensors for the operation of the engine. I once came across a website where someone bypassed the hood latch switch to defeat Auto Stop, but I can't find it again. However the "Hood Open" message would constantly be displayed on the dash.
This is a very bad idea. First assuming the battery temperature is a factor, and I'm not sure it is.. but the battery temperature determines the rate of charge on some cars, tricking it to think the battery is a lower temperature than it actually is will overcharge and damage the battery. The OP already found a very simple fix: Shift one more position on the shifter to L, then select L6 for the gas engine (L9 for Diesel) and you just disabled the auto/stop/start feature. Why is that so difficult anyone would feel obligated to trick the system. The OEM gave you an out already.

Reactions: jblackburn

·
Registered
137 Posts
Just use the L6 to shut off the auto/stop function and if it’s colder than 40F the AS won’t engage in “D” anyway. On a similar (22 page thread on the AS function) someone stated that using L6 will lower your gas mileage as you won’t get the enhanced shifting of the gears that the computer gives you when your’re in “D”. Anyone test this? IMHO I don’t think the ECM would change the shifting pattern and timings when in L6 but I don’t know as I’ve only had my 2017 LT for 2 months. I really like the car (coming from a 2002 Honda Civic) BUT do not like the AS feature. I definitely notice it and it feels “clunky” at times so I use L6 90% of the time. I plan to discuss this feature with my Dealer’s Service Manager during my first free oil change.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
... On a similar (22 page thread on the AS function) someone stated that using L6 will lower your gas mileage as you won’t get the enhanced shifting of the gears that the computer gives you when your’re in “D”. Anyone test this? IMHO I don’t think the ECM would change the shifting pattern and timings when in L6 but I don’t know as I’ve only had my 2017 LT for 2 months. ..
It is my understanding the the "L" mode is to let you force a lower gear, but that the ECM will try to shift up to the max selected gear as quickly as possible, just like it does in "D". I have tried it a bit on the auto Cruze and could not see any difference in shift points. Years back I had a GMC Truck, with a similar mode for the transmission, and I also did not seem to do any different in "D" verse in that case the "M" mode, where you could only select the top gear.. not that you'd get it, unless the conditions were met. I don't see why this would be different. It might be hard to measure based on MPG, the entire reason for the auto/stop/start is MPG.. you'll get lower MPG just by disabling that feature alone, so I'm not sure you'd be able to measure what portion of MPG hit is due to that, or due to shift points, assuming you tried to measure it. In defense of auto/start/stop.. it does save fuel. I've seen in on the full size Malibu I drove for a couple of weeks as a rental, I was amazed it was getting 30MPG average in mostly city driving, and that had a lot of time in the stop mode. On the auto diesel Cruze, it is helping to keep the overall MPG on the auto, nearly identical to the manual Cruze, and the manual is over 100 pounds lighter, with no pump load in the transmission. With average speed on each car, in similar driving at 22MPH, BOTH got overall 42MPG. Now the Manual is up to 24MPH average, with MPG now over 45MPG, due to some highway driving. The lesson here to me is this: IF MPG is important to you, then you might want to get used to the auto/stop/start function if you have the auto transmission.

·
Premium Member
206 Posts
Both the 17 Sedan and 18 Hatch will get moving faster from the auto stop than either of the 14s would with the horrendous built in transmission lag they had.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Battery temperature is one of the factors listed on various websites, that determines if Auto Stop will be active. Maybe using battery temperature has been added as an input into battery charging rate now, but on the GM Canada Parts website, it shows a temperature sensor that appears to be attached to the battery cable at the battery post. I think this is a separate sensor that was added for the Auto Stop, because I have never seen this on any previous car I have had. Auto Stop will save gas, but the constant start stop is a nuicence in stop and go traffic, and I am sure the cost of new starter motors and maybe a new flywheel, will more than wipe out any fuel savings.
I have tried driving in L6 mode, but it seems that the transmission shifts with a jerk at about 500 rpm higher than it does in D. This is not good for the life of the transmission. It drives like my Silverado pickup where the 1-2 and 2-3 transmission shift solenoids are starting to go.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm an auto start/stop hater. I use the L6 setting 90% of the time when I drive my 2017. I really haven't noticed any difference between L6 and D shifting in mine.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Just use the L6 to shut off the auto/stop function and if it’s colder than 40F the AS won’t engage in “D” anyway. On a similar (22 page thread on the AS function) someone stated that using L6 will lower your gas mileage as you won’t get the enhanced shifting of the gears that the computer gives you when your’re in “D”. Anyone test this? IMHO I don’t think the ECM would change the shifting pattern and timings when in L6 but I don’t know as I’ve only had my 2017 LT for 2 months. I really like the car (coming from a 2002 Honda Civic) BUT do not like the AS feature. I definitely notice it and it feels “clunky” at times so I use L6 90% of the time. I plan to discuss this feature with my Dealer’s Service Manager during my first free oil change.
Discuss all you want. The dealer won't listen. There's nothing they can or will do to defeat the feature.

My car shifts the same with L or D. And the reason it's clunky. Is because of transmission reconnecting to drive every time the engine is restarted. It's a new experience for all of us. We've never had to deal with it before. You all might as well get used to it. Or if you don't really like it. There's always the $350 - $700 option of shutting it off. Depending on which company you buy from.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Like I mentioned before, I use the L "feature" in bad traffic, but in normal city traffic its not that big of a deal. If I am sitting at a light for over a minute, I am glad the engine is shut off.
What i have noticed ( and some of you all also may have noticed ) is that when people stop at a light, quite often they do an initial stop, then pull forward again to close the gap. if you follow them, then the engine restarts and does not shut off. Just something interesting.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discuss all you want. The dealer won't listen. There's nothing they can or will do to defeat the feature.
There's always the $350 - $700 option of shutting it off.
Or do like I did and buy a 6 speed manual. I wouldn't have it any other way. This feature alone was the single reason why I would have never bought this car with an automatic. If I didn't have the option of a manual I would have looked somewhere else. What a pesky feature.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts