Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys is there a way to disable the auto stop feature on a 2017 Chevy Cruze? Its very annoying and Im not concerned about fuel economy.

J

·
Registered
52 Posts
Move up north. Here in the frozen wastelands the auto-stop doesn't engage as it's too cold right now.

Personally, I don't mind it but apparently one way of ensuring it doesn't engage is to drive with the shift lever in L.

Oh and y'all need more expensive gas then you'll start worrying about fuel economy.

·
Registered
692 Posts
1. with it cold outside, mine doesn't shut off much, unfortunately
2. doesn't seem to shut off with defroster off
3. manually shift gears, or put in L when approaching stop
4. when approaching stop, let off brake right before it shuts off
5. put in neutral at stop
6. after it shuts off, just let off brake slightly, and it will come back on

·
Registered
2016 Chevrolet Cruze LT 1.4L DI Turbo
7 Posts
Hey guys is there a way to disable the auto stop feature on a 2017 Chevy Cruze? Its very annoying and Im not concerned about fuel economy.

J
I just joined this forum to ask about something I have encountered.
First, I don't care about who questions why I don't like it, that's MY business.
I started in early July, when I got terminated from my job due to Covid 19, to immediately disable auto stop by using the L6 method. I mean religiously, every day. Then, a few weeks ago I thought I would try to just shift to D and see what would happen. Auto Stop seems to be totally disabled. Anyone else have this experience?
I LOVE the Cruze, this is my third one. Lost one in a divorce, lost one in an accident (a hatchback which really hurts) and now a 2016 LT. Great car.
Anyone care to comment?

·
Premium Member
5,638 Posts
First, I don't care about who questions why I don't like it, that's MY business.
I started in early July, when I got terminated from my job due to Covid 19, to immediately disable auto stop by using the L6 method. I mean religiously, every day. Then, a few weeks ago I thought I would try to just shift to D and see what would happen. Auto Stop seems to be totally disabled. Anyone else have this experience?
I LOVE the Cruze, this is my third one. Lost one in a divorce, lost one in an accident (a hatchback which really hurts) and now a 2016 LT. Great car.
Anyone care to comment?
You got terminated for COVID-19? No one ever has been terminated for COVID.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Trifecta sells tuning to turn it off.

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
Anyone care to comment?
16 and 17 don't disable till 41* or below.
18 and 19 are set for 14*. No idea why the change.

You can buy a module that plugs in to the hood switch. $140. Diaables it permanently. Or a tune for $350 or $600.

I have the module. Almost 3 years now.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Trifecta sells tuning to turn it off.
Yeah, the weird thing is I know there are '3rd party solutions' but I did not use them. For anyone who was into Windows XP and did not like the 'Shortcut to' appended to the shortcut you could create 6 shortcuts, then remove the 'Shortcut to' and Windows xp would not append it any longer.
I was thinking that if someone spent 6 months overriding it maybe the Cruze computer would get the message (be programmed) that the driver does not see the value in the auto-stop feature and permanently disable the AS/S programmatically.

·
Registered
7 Posts
16 and 17 don't disable till 41* or below.
18 and 19 are set for 14*. No idea why the change.

You can buy a module that plugs in to the hood switch. $140. Diasbles it permanently. Or a tune for $350 or $600.

I have the module. Almost 3 years now.
(16 and 17 don't disable till 41* or below.
18 and 19 are set for 14*. No idea why the change.) This is not clear to me as to what this means, will do some Google, thanks. I'm assuming it has something to do with diagnostic codes. Sorry, not a mechanic.
Doesn't seem like anything is wrong with the tranny, shifts just fine. I do a lot of driving in rural eastern Ohio and you really need the access to the downshifting ability due to the very hilly terrain.
It's like I wished that the AS/S was not there then the Cruze gods decided to grant my wish.

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
(16 and 17 don't disable till 41* or below.
18 and 19 are set for 14*. No idea why the change.) This is not clear to me as to what this means, will do some Google, thanks. I'm assuming it has something to do with diagnostic codes. Sorry, not a mechanic.
Doesn't seem like anything is wrong with the tranny, shifts just fine. I do a lot of driving in rural eastern Ohio and you really need the access to the downshifting ability due to the very hilly terrain.
It's like I wished that the AS/S was not there then the Cruze gods decided to grant my wish.
It means auto stop only works above those outside temps. Up to 110* then it disables.

I couldn't stand an auto stop shutting down above 14*. I like my heat.

·
Registered
7 Posts
It means auto stop only works above those outside temps. Up to 110* then it disables.

I couldn't stand an auto stop shutting down above 14*. I like my heat.
Sorry, been away a while. It doesn't seem dependent on the outside temperature. It's been a month or so since joining here, temps have been in the upper 40s since asking. Maybe just have to wait till Spring and the real warm temps.

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
Sorry, been away a while. It doesn't seem dependent on the outside temperature. It's been a month or so since joining here, temps have been in the upper 40s since asking. Maybe just have to wait till Spring and the real warm temps.
Part of it's programming is outside temps.
My 17 shuts off at 41 or above.
It stays running at 40 or below.
The owners manual also states.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Part of it's programming is outside temps.
My 17 shuts off at 41 or above.
It stays running at 40 or below.
The owners manual also states.
Thanks, looked up the temperatures on the days this started and there were several above 41. TBH I will have to wait for larger blocks of days with higher temps to verify. Maybe 41 isn't a hard limit but has a plus or minus component. Until then I'm enjoying no auto stop, no reset to L6.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Well, you guys were right (of course). Once the temp went above 45 the stupid auto stop kicked in again. I looked through the manual as a PDF and did a search. Seems like this info is under the Air Conditioning section. Duh. Thanks to all who answered, will look into further actions as a remedy.
Love this car to pieces though, it's my third one. Ex took first one (2012), totaled one (2017 Hatchback) and now this one, a 2016 gen 2.
I'm sure they had their reasons but I can't imagine why GM would stop producing such an awesome automobile (I know electrics and all that new tech). BTW, put some Continental True Contacts on it last fall and couldn't be happier with the handling.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts