Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Banned
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please chime in if you have a heavy combination like I do (Automatic Transmission LTZ RS) and are not getting 45 MPG like some of these Eco guys. The best I can manage is high 20s average, even with a bone stock tune and 41 psi in all 4 tires. Some of the things that I know are hurting my #s are 1) we have the A/C running 100% of the time, it is waaay too hot without it, 2) Ambient temps are 90+ with high humidity which contributes to low oxygen content per air mass and timing being reduced, 3) Traffic jams / idling can sometimes sabotage a good trip, people really suck at driving here in Miami LOL. That being said, we are at sea level which is supposed to be good, and I am very light on the throttle as much as possible to save gas, other than a rare burst to 100 to pass a big truck that is throwing rocks or something. I can get 35+ MPG with the cruise control set to 70, but my overall is 30.5 MPG which is even 3 MPG optimistic according to Fuelly. So I was really wondering what some of you other Automatic fully loaded guys / gals are getting in crappy climates / conditions. My trans is not slipping at all. Thanks.

·
Banned
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)

·
Registered
183 Posts
My LTZ averages about 31-32, 29 if I drive it hard. 80% highway, factors not in my favor: high ethanol content in gas (10% in CT) and the area I live in is very hilly, boarderline mountains, you can really watch the avg mpg drop quickly when you're driving up a big hill. I wish I could get the 35-36 some are getting but overall a big jump from the 15 the H3 I traded was getting.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I get between 32MPG average for my last 5 tanks of gas. If I really get on it, it drops to around 28MPG. I'm pretty sure we aren't suppose to see the numbers that the ECO puts up since the LTZ is different in a number of aspects.

You trade some creature comforts for that bump in MPG

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm in the same boat averaging about 30mpg. At the same time mostly local driving with alot of hills. Highway sometimes 38-43 depending on road. The other problem I find that keeps the mileage down is "The **** thing is FUN to drive HARD" Oh Well must play with toys. It is still double the mpg's of my Silverado 8)

·
Banned
1,123 Posts
Wow! I don't think ANY of you should complain! Compared to my mileage, your figures are fantastic! My mileage is mostly local, but NOT a lot of stop and go and mostly all flat here in So. CT. With close to 7,700 miles in 14 months, it should be "broken in" by now. I am convinced that it's this crappy transmission that is affecting my mileage and not any gas additives or the way I drive etc.

Yesterday, my brother came down from RI with his new 2012 Cruze LS with the 1.4 turbo. The car had 600 miles on it and he's already getting 34 MPG! I NEVER got that! I forgot to ask him how fast he was going, but he does have a somewhat heavy foot, so I DOUBT that he was doing 55-60 on I-95!

However, MORE important than that, I was dying to drive it to see how the transmission shifted! Compared to mine, it was like DAY and NIGHT! Say what you want, no one will convince me that there is not a problem with the 2011 transmissions. GM will never admit it, but the fact that the 2012 Cruze shifts NOTHING like the 2011 even with only 600 miles has convinced me!

Gauge Speedometer Auto part Vehicle Car

·
Registered
8 Posts
haha that DIC picture in the attached image looks so much better then mine. I wish I got all that info on a single screen with my '11 1.4 lt

·
Banned
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the responses. We also have at least 10% ethanol here. And yeah my window sticker said it's only rated at 35 highway. It's not too bad I guess, still hoping it gets a little better!

·
Banned
1,123 Posts
haha that DIC picture in the attached image looks so much better then mine. I wish I got all that info on a single screen with my '11 1.4 lt
I know! When I got in the car and looked, I said WOW! That's really nice! Glad my LTZ has the "upgraded" DIC! LOL...

·
Banned
1,123 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Didn't notice, sorry. Did you reset it after the winter? I'm in CT and I was using the remote start all winter, brought me down to 28-29, but again that's 80% highway driving

·
Banned
1,123 Posts
Didn't notice, sorry. Did you reset it after the winter? I'm in CT and I was using the remote start all winter, brought me down to 28-29, but again that's 80% highway driving
I reset EVERYTHING with EVERY gas fill-up! Again, with me, this is mostly local driving. Some day I will get on I-95 and drive in the far right lane at 60 MPH for maybe and hour or two and see what, if anything changes! If I make it home alive going at that speed on the highway here in CT, I will report my new mileage. Now that I think about it, the mileage will most likely go up because my transmission won't be doing all that jerky shifting/high revving. Just today I was leaving a restaurant and exiting their long driveway and the transmission did a really weird jerky shift/clunking into gear thing. Must be all those clutches interacting with each other. Not sure how fast I was going- maybe 25-30 MPH? It's just weird. Like I have said before, it's a lease, so if the tranny sucks, GM gets it back the way they built it IF it lasts for the next 22 months without having to be replaced.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have an 11 LTZ and do all city driving and am getting 24mpg average. Its the stopping and going in this traffic riddled city with no traffic signal timing whatsoever...

·
Registered
47 Posts
50/50 highway/city, I've been getting ~26mpg. Up that to 70/30 recently (switched job placements) and i'm up ~30mpg+.

2011 LT 1.4

edit: not complaining though. but 2012 numbers, yet alone eco numbers makes me feel a little jelly. hehe

·
Registered
682 Posts
just completed a 1000km round trip this past weekend. Averaged 7.4L/100km (around 32 mpg). 80% highway with an average speed of 65MPH.

Around town tho I'd be lucky to get 26MPG even with 70% freeway driving and a light foot. A little screwy if you ask me.

Also i FULLY AND 100% AGREE with the transmission issue. I got a 2012 loaner from the dealer last time it was in and it behaves like DAY AND NIGHT!. Perfect shifts, no over revving like mine. Simply day and night!...

·
Registered
80 Posts
Driving interstate between 70-75 about 29-31,,,city drving somewhat better but not much. Engine works too hard for any type of fuel economy......I traded in a 2008 Chevy Impala, with 150,000+ miles on it and got consistent 32-33 highway milage,,,,,,IDIOT!!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
I drive almost all city so im not to surprised with my mpg. Plus I have a little led foot but I still get a lot better then on my old 98 lumina ltz. I just switched to premium and developed a little better driving habits and already getting 2 mpg better (28.8 according to my car)

·
FI Lunatic
1,380 Posts
See my sig...I have a 2012 LTZ/RS, about to turn 11K miles. 60/40 City/Hwy split driving.
My best tank has been 38.45 MPG with 38 PSI in the tires. I ran that up to 44PSI yesterday, and will fill up again
Friday, so we'll see how the next tank pans out.

I love the mileage I am getting tho!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts