Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
779 Posts
The only window that automatically goes up is the drivers window why is that ?
No idea but my '17 is the same. They all do auto down but only the driver's does auto up. Maybe they figure the driver's window get used the most (drive-through stuff obvously) and having auto-up on the rest isn't a necessity? I think it'd be easy enough to implement though, it's just BCM programming and using the same switches for all four windows

·
Registered
902 Posts
Maybe they figure the driver's window get used the most (drive-through stuff obvously) and having auto-up on the rest isn't a necessity?
My understanding is that auto-up has long been available abroad, in Europe for example. But that the fear preventing it in the US was liability, that some kid would get his head caught in it, and the car maker would get sued.

In the US, having auto-up only on the driver's door makes sense in the context that a kid probably won't be in that seat (with the key on) and hence that one door has less potential liability than the other 3.
</speculation>

Doug

·
Registered
779 Posts
I wanna know how you all got auto up.

My 17 only goes down.
What trim and what options? Might be part of an option package or something. Mine's a Premier with everything except the driver convenience package (backup sensors, blind spot alert, etc)

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
LT RS with driver package.

The first step down from top model.

I ordered everything. I think. Minus sunroof and something else. I think bigger tires.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Maybe it comes in the sun and sound package that includes the sunroof then 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
68 Posts
My Daughter has a 2012 1.4lt (bought used) that used to have "Auto-Up & Down" on all 4 windows then 2 years ago got a new battery installed. After that only "Auto-Down" on all 4 windows, no "Auto-Up" on any windows anymore.
She's okay with that but I've been curious what happened to the "Auto-Up" function.

·
Premium Member
2013 Cruze 1LT
984 Posts
My Daughter has a 2012 1.4lt (bought used) that used to have "Auto-Up & Down" on all 4 windows then 2 years ago got a new battery installed. After that only "Auto-Down" on all 4 windows, no "Auto-Up" on any windows anymore.
She's okay with that but I've been curious what happened to the "Auto-Up" function.
You have to calibrate them right after you disconnect the batter and reconnect it, it should pop up on the DIC. Hold button until it goes all the way down, hold button until it goes all the way up. Then you should hate the auto up and down function again. It's how my LT works.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Interesting. Do you know, did this car originate in North America? Or could it have come from abroad?

Looking at the (North American) owner's manual, it says only the driver's door may have the auto-up feature:
Express Window Operation
This vehicle may have windows with​
an express-up or down feature. This​
feature allows the window to be​
lowered or raised without holding​
the switch. Passenger side and rear
windows only have express-down.
<snip>​

Looking at the RPO list, it only shows an auto-up option on the driver's door.
AEC - WINDOW REG DRVR DR-POWER OPERATED,EXPRESS DOWN​
AED - WINDOW REG PASS DR-POWER OPERATED, EXPRESS DOWN​
AEQ - WINDOW REG REAR DR-POWER OPERATED, EXPRESS DOWN​
AXG - WINDOW REG DRVR DR-POWER OPERATED, EXPRESS UP/DOWN​

If your car is not from abroad, then it appears either a mistake had been made at factory program time, or someone was able to re-configure it after it was purchased.

BTW, when the battery was replaced, who did the install? Was it perhaps done at the dealer where they might have done a courtesy code update that inadvertently disabled the auto-up?

Doug

·
Registered
68 Posts
After looking at repair history for vehicle I discovered that almost 2 years ago when my daughter hit LARGE racoon crossing the freeway, it took out her driver-side bumper cover, fog light cover with ambient temp sensor and misc. cosmetic issues as well in that area. After repairs, her ambient temp reading was incorrect, body shop took it to dealer for diagnosis and discovered Speedo-cluster had shorted out from ambient temp sensor wire hanging from fog light cover getting run over by front wheel, yanking the harness loose.
The dealer replaced the Speedo-Cluster and then UPDATED THE ECM programming.
I think that's when everything changed for the windows.
That was around the same time she got a new battery installed at SAMS Club tire and battery dept.

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
4,364 Posts
I'd say the reason is because GM is cheap, and nothing else. My Volt only has auto-up on the driver window as well.

My mom's Fusion (at least the last four of them - I'm not sure if her 2011 had them, but her 2013, 2015, 2017 and 2018s all have) has auto-up on all four windows. GM just seems to put it on the driver window only - even on the Malibu (which obviously competes against the Fusion) or Equinox.

Likely a slightly more expensive switch with that second detent that they don't want to pay for...not sure why they wouldn't just pass that along to the customer, as the cost would be extremely minimal, but whatever. I'm in the auto industry, so I get it - sometimes even the smallest cost increases are almost impossible to get approved.

·
Registered
779 Posts
My mom's Fusion (at least the last four of them - I'm not sure if her 2011 had them, but her 2013, 2015, 2017 and 2018s all have) has auto-up on all four windows. GM just seems to put it on the driver window only - even on the Malibu (which obviously competes against the Fusion) or Equinox.
Downside is she's still driving a Ford

Reactions: Diamond193

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
4,364 Posts
Meh, it's her fifth Fusion for a reason - they're a **** good sedan. I never mind driving them, though I'd prefer it have the 2.0T, rather than the 1.5T.

·
Super Moderator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red
8,821 Posts
Buy one of these:

·
Registered
2012 Cruze Eco 6 Speed
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Buy one of these:

Heres the link for the cruze

·
Registered
68 Posts

I might be tempted to try this on a HOT day....open windows automatically !!! Very nice feature.
I wonder if these OBD adapters might possibly mess with ECM programming....as in "mess-it-up" ????
Might want to be sure car isn't running when you plug-in and un-plug this JEWEL !!!

·
Registered
2012 Cruze Eco 6 Speed
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I might be tempted to try this on a HOT day....open windows automatically !!! Very nice feature.
I wonder if these OBD adapters might possibly mess with ECM programming....as in "mess-it-up" ????
Might want to be sure car isn't running when you plug-in and un-plug this JEWEL !!!
15.99 is a good deal it just takes a month or more to get because its coming from china

1 - 20 of 33 Posts