Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
2015 Cruze LT 1.4, aka Yuffie, aka RecklessRed
281 Posts
15.99 is a good deal it just takes a month or more to get because its coming from china
I got something similar from ebay for 10 bucks. Just an obd2 thing that plugs in, listens for certain things on teh CAN bus, and rolls up or down all windows accordingly. I got that and an ob2 splitter and tucked it under the dash so it's always in but doesn't interfere with the regular OBD2 port. Basically, it listens for the signal to unlock all of the doors, then that same signal again constantly for 2 seconds, and rolls them down. Upon locking and arming the alarm, it automatically rolls them up.

·
Super Moderator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red
8,955 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
I also had the driver's window auto down only (2014 RS); however, the regulator went bad and I bought what was supposed to be an exact replacement at the dealer. To my surprise after I replaced it, now all 4 windows are auto down! Go figure...

·
Premium Member
4,119 Posts
I bought one of those plug in window open and close OBD devices for my 2012 Holden Cruze CDX diesel and it worked great, the only problem was my bluetooth stopped working. I definitely don't recommend them as you don't know what else they may be affecting.

·
Registered
969 Posts
I'd say the reason is because GM is cheap, and nothing else. My Volt only has auto-up on the driver window as well.

<snip>

Likely a slightly more expensive switch with that second detent that they don't want to pay for...
My daughter was by the house tonight for dinner, so I got to look in her 2012 LS. There are no detents on the switches - it's just a matter of holding the switch closed long enough for the software to sense it and take over control of the window motor.

But, in the cobwebs of my mind, it does seem like I had a car with a detented switch that latched until the window stopped at the bottom, then released. But that's going way back - perhaps on my 91 Bonneville...

Not sure how the system electronics manage this nowadays - probably in the BCM - but I want to say, in the early days of auto-down, there was a small, low-pin-count micro-controller built into the driver's window switch that handled the function.

The key is being able to sense the current going to the window motor. When the glass gets to its travel limit, bottom or top, the stalled motor's current spikes. In response, the software turns off power to the motor.

If the current sense capability is already there (for auto-down), adding auto-up is just a software change: ~0 added cost. Even cheaper than a detent :)

Which brings me back to the notion that auto-up is more a liability issue than a cost issue :)

Doug

·
Registered
835 Posts
My daughter was by the house tonight for dinner, so I got to look in her 2012 LS. There are no detents on the switches - it's just a matter of holding the switch closed long enough for the software to sense it and take over control of the window motor.

But, in the cobwebs of my mind, it does seem like I had a car with a detented switch that latched until the window stopped at the bottom, then released. But that's going way back - perhaps on my 91 Bonneville...

Not sure how the system electronics manage this nowadays - probably in the BCM - but I want to say, in the early days of auto-down, there was a small, low-pin-count micro-controller built into the driver's window switch that handled the function.

The key is being able to sense the current going to the window motor. When the glass gets to its travel limit, bottom or top, the stalled motor's current spikes. In response, the software turns off power to the motor.

If the current sense capability is already there (for auto-down), adding auto-up is just a software change: ~0 added cost. Even cheaper than a detent :)

Which brings me back to the notion that auto-up is more a liability issue than a cost issue :)

Doug
On my '17 premier the driver's window switch has a detent for the auto up. Kinda like a turn signal stalk. Hold it to manually control the window or lift it to the notch for the auto up

Reactions: plano-doug

·
Registered
2012 Cruze Eco 6 Speed
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
My 2003 Trailblazer Lt the driver and passanger window auto go down but the rears dont.

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
4,417 Posts
On my '17 premier the driver's window switch has a detent for the auto up. Kinda like a turn signal stalk. Hold it to manually control the window or lift it to the notch for the auto up
That's how our '14 is. You can feel the second "click" that initiates auto-up, likewise with auto-down.

·
Premium Member
5,349 Posts
Programming the Power Windows If the battery on the vehicle has been recharged or disconnected, or is not working, the windows will need to be reprogrammed for the express-up feature to work. Before reprogramming, replace or recharge the vehicle's battery. To program each front window: 1. With the ignition in ACC/ ACCESSORY or ON/RUN, or when RAP is active, close all doors. 2. Press and hold the power window switch until the window is fully open. 3. Pull the power window switch up until the window is fully closed. 4. Continue holding the switch up for approximately two seconds after the window is completely closed. The window is now reprogrammed. Repeat the process for the other windows.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I might be tempted to try this on a HOT day....open windows automatically !!! Very nice feature.
I wonder if these OBD adapters might possibly mess with ECM programming....as in "mess-it-up" ????
Might want to be sure car isn't running when you plug-in and un-plug this JEWEL !!!
You may already have this feature. Try holding the unlock button on the key fob for 3-5 seconds. On my previous 2014 Cruze (Diesel), and current 2016 Limited RS and 2017 Volt Premier, this causes all 4 windows to fully power down. Unfortunately, I haven't found a method of remotely powering them back up again.

My opinion, but I don't think messing with OBD for the sole purpose of operating the windows is a good idea. Messing with OBD for any reason is risky in any case (although I do it regularly). Some errant coding or a substandard adapter could brick the ECM. It's happened. It will happen.

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
4,417 Posts
Your '14 CTD has auto-down on the fob? Ours doesn't...

My '17 Volt LT does, but I don't think our '14 CTD does.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Your '14 CTD has auto-down on the fob? Ours doesn't...

My '17 Volt LT does, but I don't think our '14 CTD does.
Just tried it on my '17 premier hatch and it didn't roll them down 🤷‍♂️

21 - 33 of 33 Posts