Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Autoblog article saying that those who bought ECO might regret it.

4127 22
Chevrolet targeting 50 mpg with diesel-powered Cruze

Last sentence that made the title of this thread.... One last bit of info: we hear that the diesel Cruze's torque will allow it to easily outrun the Cruze Eco.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
501 Posts
We've had this conversation, but we can have it again...

My quote from that thread: http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/3-ch...e-diesel-coming-america-targeting-50-mpg.html

Shame they didn't come out with the diesel Cruze in MY2008 or older... Might be worth owning...

You can thank the EPA for making the MY2010+ diesels basically not worth owning unless you NEED the diesel to tow your load; so you have to put up with the regen cycles that make you drive on the interstate for them (and buying urea for the regen, or dumping raw fuel into the exhaust and white smoking out the tailpipe to regen the DPF), clogged up EGR, injector problems, and a whole list of stuff the diesel trucks have that goes wrong... The new diesels are just plain $$$$$$$$$ to own and maintain (much more expensive to keep up than a gas engine)...

Add to all of that, if the ECO gets 42mpg, the diesel would have to get 46-47mpg for the fuel cost to be the same, as diesel has been around 10% more expensive than gasoline...

So if the ECO gets 42mpg highway, and the diesel gets 50mpg highway, at current fuel prices, you save $571 over 100k miles, and it'll probably be a $2k - $3k option... You'd save more in town, but it wouldn't pay back even the price adder in 100k miles, let alone save you money...

IMO, there was a period of time where diesels were THE way to go in a truck... After they turbo'd all of them, after they got them to reliably start at 0degF, and before the ULSD made diesel more expensive than gasoline, and before all of this DPF crap...

Really, the only reason I own a diesel truck is because I got it used for about the price of a gas truck (and a 3/4 ton diesel has all the 1-ton running gear)...

Mike

· Registered
437 Posts
Love the diesels.. can't wait till it shows up. My Eco will most likely end up in my daughters hands and i'll just pick up one of these babies. But no i don't regret my Eco, it saves me money RIGHT NOW!! And

300/mth on payments
30/mth on insurance
plus the tons i'm saving in gas... /little tear..

is enough savings to make me VERY happy every month.

Plus new model are always coming out. Well the cruze isn't exactly a new model, this car has been in europe since 2009 and the diesel gets like 65 mpg hwy (imperial), which translates to i think about 57mpg (US). Its about freaking time they brought it here!!

· Registered
2012 Chevy Cruze 1.8 (soon to be 1.8t) LS... white
789 Posts
You still have the extra cost of a diesel car and the annual cost of fuel. You end up paying about the same for either or and you're still using fossil fuel. :)

· Registered
501 Posts

· Registered
395 Posts
I have read several reviews of the diesel Holden Cruze and the real-world fuel economy is being reported between 35mpg and 44mpg. The 0-60 times are just short of 10 seconds. With the higher cost of diesel fuel and the slower acceleration I don't see a huge compelling reason to go with the diesel. The fuel economy would have to be significantly higher than my Eco for me to have regrets.

· Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Online Conversion - Fuel Consumption Conversion

More like 54.1mpg US, and they have different diesel emissions than we do, so theirs will get better mileage for not having all the crap we have to have on ours...

Mike
I am interested to see the fuel economy hit from the $4000+ in diesel after treatment you have to run... Can't wait till it has to go into regeneration and your fuel economy goes in the tank...

· Premium Member
1,930 Posts
There is your 14 sec Cruze.... :) . Should be no sweat with a lightly modded diesel. Still probably wouldn't buy one. 5 Years ago I'd have been all over it but with the price of diesel and all the crap they put in the fuel now (and associated maintenance) it isn't worth it

· Premium Member
1,250 Posts
There is your 14 sec Cruze.... :) . Should be no sweat with a lightly modded diesel. Still probably wouldn't buy one. 5 Years ago I'd have been all over it but with the price of diesel and all the crap they put in the fuel now (and associated maintenance) it isn't worth it

I would wait and check the curb weight on the diesel in comparison before I said that... I bet it weighs in as the heaviest Cruze so far... Engine + after treatment could add a few hundred pounds to the car even...

· Registered
144 Posts
For 11 out of the 12 last twelve months the price of diesel in my area has been $.50-.52 cents more per gallon than gasoline. It just dropped this last month to only $.32 cents more per gallon. When gas prices skyrocketed, which they again will at some point in the future, it will cost $1.00 more per gallon in my area (as it did a few years ago).

Diesel doesn't makes sense in a dollar and cents basis in my area.

· Registered
437 Posts
I still love me some diesel ;) probably from being around tractors and diesel work trucks my whole life.. I might even be tempted not to mod it... okay, probably not.. haha.

And 54 mpg.. well rock on!! :eek:ccasion14: And i can still drive it like i stole it!!

· Registered
501 Posts
I still love me some diesel ;) probably from being around tractors and diesel work trucks my whole life.. I might even be tempted not to mod it... okay, probably not.. haha.

And 54 mpg.. well rock on!! :eek:ccasion14: And i can still drive it like i stole it!!
That's for the euro one that doesn't have as much effeciency-robbing emissions stuff as we have... They are saying 50mpg, so I wouldn't think it would bet much over that...

If you drive it like you stole it, it will likely get the same mileage as a gasoline engine model... Diesels are really only more efficient because they don't have a throttle to give you huge pumping losses at low power output levels... At WOT, they both get about the same mileage...

Mike

· Premium Member
1,930 Posts
I would wait and check the curb weight on the diesel in comparison before I said that... I bet it weighs in as the heaviest Cruze so far... Engine + after treatment could add a few hundred pounds to the car even...
without a doubt it will be the heaviest but you can pull ALOT of power out of a Turbo Diesel and fairly easily unless they really botched the design. Obviously not the same thing but look what you can do with a programmer to a Duramax. Add 175HP and 400Ft Lbs of torque. Not saying you will see crazy results like that but I'd bet you can make some impressive power with the TD. But like I said, I don't know much about the diesel they are using.

· Registered
37 Posts
Love the diesels.. can't wait till it shows up. My Eco will most likely end up in my daughters hands and i'll just pick up one of these babies. But no i don't regret my Eco, it saves me money RIGHT NOW!! And

300/mth on payments
30/mth on insurance
plus the tons i'm saving in gas... /little tear..

is enough savings to make me VERY happy every month.

Plus new model are always coming out. Well the cruze isn't exactly a new model, this car has been in europe since 2009 and the diesel gets like 65 mpg hwy (imperial), which translates to i think about 57mpg (US). Its about freaking time they brought it here!!
I just want your insurance bill!

· Registered
179 Posts
Sorry Autoblog, If You're betting that I'm gonna be sorry, you're misinformed. I realize that a Turbo Deisel has more torque and horses, but I haven't found anything yet that my gasoline version can't reasonably do. If you do the math, financially it won't make sense to go deisel!!! You probably pay $2,000-$4,000 more up front for the T/D , and then at the pump pay and x-tra .30 -.50 cent per gallon, for what?
sliglty better mpg's. I hope no-one is trying to pull a boat with an ECO, because that's the only reason i could see someone wanting a deisel car.IMO
I'll stick w/ my gas version anyday.

· Registered
38 Posts
I have the 150BHP version, manual, 5 gears
0-60mph - 8.7 sec (stated, actually it's 0-58mph and not tested by me)
torque - 236ft lbs
It was the most powerfull engine available when I bought it (and the fastest).

Fuel consumption:
5th gear, 90km/h (56mph), steady driving (and I mean STEADY, no slowdowns, no accelerations, no nothing), no AC, no luggage - 49mpg.
5th gear, 130km/h (81mph), with AC - 28mpg

City driving - 19.5mpg

Average over 11000miles - 21.8mpg (Details: Chevrolet - Cruze - Cruze 2.0D LT - Spritmonitor.de)

The DPF regenerates in city about every 125-150 miles and it burns about 0.5-0.8 gallons of fuel.

Of course, the maintenance is more expensive than the one for gas versions.

Any questions?

· Registered
43 Posts
well here in Denmark u need 2 drive about 25000km yeah before cost runs around tax tax tax and so on
after that a Diesel need drive long km now and then 2 keep engine clear , but again i live in Denmark and its an small country
Cruze 1.8 is from 209000 DKR = 39.445,87 USD
Diesel is from 275000 DKR = 51.902,46 USD
gas price is 12.39 DKR for one liter = 2.34 USD
Diesel is 11.19 DKR for one liter = 2,11 USD

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.