Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Autocross questions

1272 9
So I've never had a new car or any car that was worth anything performance wise. Had a Passat turbo 5spd, but that had some issues and I never put much work into it (other then to keep it running). I've seen some people post about autocross and have looked at some videos on youtube, but what's it like? how hard is it/get into? how well does the cruze handle it? hopefully some of you that have done it and can give me a little insight, it would be nice to have a track day without having to burn up my brakes.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Premium Member
4,468 Posts
So I've never had a new car or any car that was worth anything performance wise. Had a Passat turbo 5spd, but that had some issues and I never put much work into it (other then to keep it running). I've seen some people post about autocross and have looked at some videos on youtube, but what's it like? how hard is it/get into? how well does the cruze handle it? hopefully some of you that have done it and can give me a little insight, it would be nice to have a track day without having to burn up my brakes.
There is a section in the racing part of thw forums called Autocross I put a nice post about Autocross. But our car perform well in any handling cases. I love Autocrossing I did it last year with just intake and catback exhaust and did excellent. If you want to me to add your Region of SCCA pm your state.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

· Premium Member
24,131 Posts
He's in Syracuse, NY.

· Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There is a section in the racing part of thw forums called Autocross I put a nice post about Autocross. But our car perform well in any handling cases. I love Autocrossing I did it last year with just intake and catback exhaust and did excellent. If you want to me to add your Region of SCCA pm your state.

Fail for me not searching before posting. epic fail I will check out that section and yes from CNY region, but will be moving to the buffalo region in august

· Premium Member
4,468 Posts
Fail for me not searching before posting. epic fail I will check out that section and yes from CNY region, but will be moving to the buffalo region in august
I just created a thread for you upstate New Yorkers so y'all can Autocross

http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13609

· Premium Member
4,634 Posts
I've only autocrossed once, but it was a blast. One thing to remember about autocross is the importance of driver skill; a good driver in a pathetic car can embarass a bad driver in a decent sports car. Power doesn't usually mean too much in a tight course, but conserving your momentum through turns means everything.

Autocross is also good from a wear and tear standpoint. You can usually get decent life out of your tires, and brakes don't take much abuse since the stops are short and from low speeds. Both points are relative to lapping a road course at much higher speeds.

· Premium Member
24,131 Posts
I autocrossed once shortly after I graduated from college. It was a blast. I was "last", but at least I didn't crash like one driver did. Her car had to be put on a flatbed - she ran off the course and head into a light post at the edge of the parking lot. Got to watch my father drift an Alfa Romeo Spider (top down of course) through the course.

· Premium Member
24,131 Posts
Slightly off topic, but are the instruments in the Cruze ECO accurate enough to do well in a Time/Distance rally?

· Contest Manager
2,239 Posts
Slightly off topic, but are the instruments in the Cruze ECO accurate enough to do well in a Time/Distance rally?
Good question. Guess the only one you'd want to watch is your avg speed.
(Always wanted to do a rally ever since I saw top gears episode lol)

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

· Epic Beard Man
5,353 Posts
Admit it Mike, you want to autocross and maximize fuel efficiency at the same time...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.