Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Little Purple Title
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As you read this post, let me first put it into perspective with the following picture. This is the type of dryer I'm talking about, where it drops in front of the car and you drive through and the air pressure keeps it up:

The first time I went through one of these I totally forgot about the center mounted antenna on the roof, and it went BAM on my back window.

I've learned that if you hit the "My vehicle has a bug deflector" button before entering the wash it prevents this from coming down - so that's what I do now.

I'm wondering what everyone else does?

I've thought about removing the antenna before washing, but I fell like this would still hit the little bump.

·
Little Purple Title
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,786 Posts
Interesting. I've only seen the ones where there's a giant dryer in the roof that sweeps over the car (or you drive under slowly).

I've always been worried about the sensor-driven carwashes that come really close to the body of the car, then move up at the last second. Looks like it'll just go *bonk*

·
Little Purple Title
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can't find a better pic, it makes more sense if you see it from the other side.

The blower is at the top and the air is forced down the metal thing you see in the pic. There's two layers to make a channel. The air pressure coming out keeps it off the car, and there's rubber wheels so it can roll if it does get too close. Problem is, as stated in OP, it's forced up over the center-mount antenna then falls too fast for the air pressure to prevent it from bonking the back window.

·
Little Purple Title
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
These dryers do an amazing job, and I'd like to be able to stop hitting the bug deflector button so it can actually do its job, just looking for other peoples opinions.

Removing the antenna will still leave the bump, and I'm sure it will scrape...

·
Little Purple Title
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We have these type here, I go through it as is, no issues.
With your antenna on? I only did it once, but having that metal bounce off my back window just once is more than enough haha.

·
Premium Member
887 Posts
If you look closely ... there are little rubber wheels on the bottom edge of the "blower" vent. They are there to prevent anything hard from hitting your vehicle. Now, granted, if your antenna doesn't line up with the wheel, that MIGHT touch metal/plastic (depending upon what the vent is made from) but only on the antenna. Most likely, the noise you heard came from the little wheel hitting your car, and not the vent itself. I too have driven through washes with this type of blower, but never had any issues when driving through slow enough. The reason I never used the "bug deflector" option is because I WANT the thing to dry my car off the way I paid for it to. :biggrin:

·
Little Purple Title
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Most likely, the noise you heard came from the little wheel hitting your car, and not the vent itself.
I agree. But remember the rubber wheel is attached to 20-30 pounds of metal that (after being forced upward by your antenna) freefalls 2 feet into the window.

·
Registered
69 Posts
The first, and last time I went through an auto car wash with my Cruze, the stupid thing had this contraption. It almost sounded like it ripped my **** antenna off. I checked and no visible damage so I wiped the sweat off my forehead and went on with life. Its like a air blade thing to force the air down onto the car to "sweep" the water off. It basically floats just above the body surface but has rollers in case it touches. Never, ever again.

·
Super Moderator
5,229 Posts
I know at Mike's car wash they tell u you do not have to remove the antenna. the last couple of times I went to Mike didn't remove and no problems. Never saw a drier like pic above. I could see how that may cause problems tho.

·
Super Moderator
5,229 Posts
I think its not safe with our paint finish, surely it will create scratches and swirls. Manual drying would be better but make sure to use mf towel in the process.
I never had a problem with auto car washes like Mike's shell etc. I know the self serve car washes, the hand brush is detrimental to the finish and will leave marks like sandpaper. Technology has really come around with car washing just don't try to save buck if you don't wash yourself. Go somewhere reputable

·
Registered
26 Posts
I never had a problem with auto car washes like Mike's shell etc. I know the self serve car washes, the hand brush is detrimental to the finish and will leave marks like sandpaper. Technology has really come around with car washing just don't try to save buck if you don't wash yourself. Go somewhere reputable
Well you have a point there...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.