Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I JUST bought the 2017 Cruze Premiere. I have to say that I didn't do a goo enough test drive before purchasing it. I REALLY dislike the auto shut off engine at stops. It shimmys to start and fluttters in stop go heavy city traffic. I am really VERY disappointed in the response time of this car. My old 2006 Toyota Corolla has this car beat hands down. So I sorry I bought Chevy. :(

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
Sounds like you may have a problem. While others may not care for the start/stop, I don't think anyone else has reported those issues.

Reactions: MRO1791

·
Registered
533 Posts
The only thing I've heard about stop start in the Cruze (other than simple "I don't like it cause it's different and I fear change" posts) is that it is very smooth, especially compared to other stop start systems. You may want to get yours checked out if it's really "that" bad.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
5,913 Posts
Yep - something sounds up. The Cruze has one of the most seamless start-stop systems on the market.

Reactions: MRO1791

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,488 Posts
Meh, I don't even notice it unless I catch it in the middle of the shut-off sequence. It's about as non-intrusive as you can get with one besides it being a hybrid.

Some reported a problem with the right side tie-rod that causes the steering wheel to jerk to the right when the car starts back up. If you have a noticeable thump or steering wheel jerk when the car restarts, take it into the dealer. Mine is very smooth on restart and you're moving again.

I drove a 2007 Corolla once. It was not an experience I want to remember.

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
5,913 Posts
I drove a 2007 Corolla once. It was not an experience I want to remember.
I had to travel across the state in a 2010 or 2011 once (so, basically no different than the 2007), for a day trip, and it was...not good. That car fared very poorly in our perceived quality evaluation later on that week...

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
I test drove a 2016 Premier and other than the dash indication I didn't notice the start/stop activating. Sounds to me like something isn't working right in your Cruze.

Welcome to CruzeTalk.

·
Registered
692 Posts
2016 LT with auto start / stop, mostly seamless also. I imagine it's much better than a 2006 Corolla, it's much better than my 14 Cruze LT

·
Registered
1 Posts
I don't mind the stop start feature other than that the air conditioner turns off when the car does, and when it is 100 degrees out, I HATE that! Other than that, I don't even notice that the car stops anymore (had the car about 18 months), it is very smooth, there must be something wrong with yours.

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
I JUST bought the 2017 Cruze Premiere. I have to say that I didn't do a goo enough test drive before purchasing it. I REALLY dislike the auto shut off engine at stops. It shimmys to start and fluttters in stop go heavy city traffic. I am really VERY disappointed in the response time of this car. My old 2006 Toyota Corolla has this car beat hands down. So I sorry I bought Chevy. :(
You can either drive in L gear and tap up to 6. It won't shut off in L gear. Or you can spend $350 for a trifecta tune. It will turn the feature off.

I love my cruze.

·
Registered
146 Posts
This was the reason why I bought the 6 speed manual. I didn't even road test the automatic and decided to go with the manual just because of that. I knew that this was a feature I would not be able to live with.

·
Registered
96 Posts
This was the reason why I bought the 6 speed manual. I didn't even road test the automatic and decided to go with the manual just because of that. I knew that this was a feature I would not be able to live with.
It's really not that bad lol. I don't even notice the system engaging anymore. Sure, when I first got it I did, fast forward almost two years later, I forget it's there.

What I have noticed though is my tank needing less fills on my daily 2 hour stop and go commute, can't imagine I'll ever get a car that doesn't have start/stop again.

·
Premium Member
2,698 Posts
Is it true the A/C shuts off when stopped?

How would that work in 110 degree summer heat sitting in Phoenix stop n go traffic I wonder?

·
Registered
96 Posts

How would that work in 110 degree summer heat sitting in Phoenix stop n go traffic I wonder?
The compressor may shut off, but it still blows cold air, at a bit less force. By the time the blowing air gets warm again the car will probably be already turned back on. The longest I've sat before the car turns back on again is about 90 seconds.

Extreme temps do play a factor, and in my neck of the woods when it's below 35 or so, the system doesn't engage at all. I'd imagine extreme hot temps would also be a thing engineers took into account for comfort. All the thresholds are in the owners manual.

The car also has to be driven at least 10 or so MPH for a few seconds before start/stop works again.

·
17,488 Posts

Yes, the compressor is engine-driven. The fan continues, albeit at a slower speed, to blow air over the evaporator core until it warms up, at which point the engine will restart. It doesn't shut down for long on 90-100* days, at least in my experience.

The A/C has two different modes - "max", which doesn't shut down the engine when the cabin is still trying to get down to temp, and "Eco", which is a little bit more aggressive with shutting off at a stop - and will stay shut down for longer - for fuel economy reasons.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Yes, the compressor is engine-driven. The fan continues, albeit at a slower speed, to blow air over the evaporator core until it warms up, at which point the engine will restart. It doesn't shut down for long on 90-100* days, at least in my experience.

The A/C has two different modes - "max", which doesn't shut down the engine when the cabin is still trying to get down to temp, and "Eco", which is a little bit more aggressive with shutting off at a stop - and will stay shut down for longer - for fuel economy reasons.
Thank you for that info. My new 2018 will have this and I was wondering what happened to the A/C. Looks like I will be driving in Max on the hot and humid days in Southern Ontario. Won't be an issue today at -18 C. LOL

·
17,488 Posts
Thank you for that info. My new 2018 will have this and I was wondering what happened to the A/C. Looks like I will be driving in Max on the hot and humid days in Southern Ontario. Won't be an issue today at -18 C. LOL
Putting it in "L" instead of drive (then thumbing up to gear 6) will also disable stop-start. I do this in traffic jams or situations where it shutting off just before I start moving again can get annoying.

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
Supposedly it only shuts down 1 time. If you're in heavy slowly going traffic it don't continually shut down.

I haven't had it happen yet. But haven't had to deal much with traffic.

·
17,488 Posts
Supposedly it only shuts down 1 time. If you're in heavy slowly going traffic it don't continually shut down.

I haven't had it happen yet. But haven't had to deal much with traffic.
They lie. Or I guess if traffic goes over 12 mph and then stops again

I spend most of my seat time in DC area traffic. I hate it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.