Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Transmission shifts hard intermittently and feels like it completely disengages at complete stop. When accelerating it feels like its being dropped into gear with the accelerator depressed, feels like someone hit you from behind.

Anyone else have this issue and I so is there a fix?

214 Cruze diesel- 64K completely stock

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,488 Posts
feels like it completely disengages at complete stop.
It does. This is intentional.

When accelerating it feels like its being dropped into gear with the accelerator depressed, feels like someone hit you from behind.
At 64K, you're due for a AT fluid change. Check the trans cooler lines as well - they're known to leak on these cars. What you describe is fairly typical for high-mileage fluid, though. It isn't a lifetime fluid, despite what manufacturers would like to have you believe.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Transmission shifts hard intermittently and feels like it completely disengages at complete stop. When accelerating it feels like its being dropped into gear with the accelerator depressed, feels like someone hit you from behind.

Anyone else have this issue and I so is there a fix?

214 Cruze diesel- 64K completely stock
Having the same issues. 2014 Diesel 33 k miles. Taking it to The local dealer for recall next week. Going to have them "look" at the Transmission then. I'm expecting the "everything looks fine" response.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
611 Posts
See transmission replaced at 6X,XXX miles thread. This sounds like more than a fluid issue. I would know. Lol

Reactions: Cudrowjr

·
Registered
18 Posts
Took the car to the dealer today for the newest Nox recall and to look at the Transmission.

Dealer said transmission deffinatley has issues. I have to wait for them to get an "adapter"? to check the line pressures and report to GM before a final decision is made.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Wth is going on with these transmissions!? I specifically bought the diesel because Aisin makes such a reliable product.

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
Took the car to the dealer today for the newest Nox recall and to look at the Transmission.

Dealer said transmission deffinatley has issues. I have to wait for them to get an "adapter"? to check the line pressures and report to GM before a final decision is made.

Cudrowjr, have you changed your trans fluid yet? How many miles on the trans fluid? The book says trans fluid fill is "lifetime" but experience here has shown that not to be true.

OP (Grazitp) has 64K miles so the first step for him/her would definitely be fluid change and inspection of trans cooler lines. Haven't heard back from Graztip yet, so not sure if the issue has been resolved and what the solution was.

If you have similar mileage, the fluid change and inspection would make much more sense than jumping to testing line pressures.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Cudrowjr, have you changed your trans fluid yet? How many miles on the trans fluid? The book says trans fluid fill is "lifetime" but experience here has shown that not to be true.

OP (Grazitp) has 64K miles so the first step for him/her would definitely be fluid change and inspection of trans cooler lines. Haven't heard back from Graztip yet, so not sure if the issue has been resolved and what the solution was.

If you have similar mileage, the fluid change and inspection would make much more sense than jumping to testing line pressures.
I have not changed the fluid yet. The car only has just under 33k on it. I had planned on switching to amsoil before 40k.

·
Registered
791 Posts
I have not changed the fluid yet. The car only has just under 33k on it. I had planned on switching to amsoil before 40k.

do it sooner rather than later, 50,000 miles on mine an have done 2 drop an tops already. both times fluid has been discolored.

·
Registered
18 Posts
do it sooner rather than later, 50,000 miles on mine an have done 2 drop an tops already. both times fluid has been discolored.
Thanks oilburner. I am hoping they do a full replacement under warranty. If so amsoil will go in asap. Already using it for oil. Becoming a big amsoil fan little by little.

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
I have 30k on mine and bought it at 18k. I do experience some intermittent problems similar those the OP describes.

Sometimes I see a very harsh engagement when shifting from neutral into drive. Other times, the engine will wind out in second gear under light acceleration before shifting into third. However, most of the time it works as expected but it does seem weird that it does these things at all.

If I had to speculate, I'd say the problem is not mechanical, but more likely caused by one or more sensors providing intermittently iffy inputs to the computer. Iffy inputs can lead to iffy outputs.

·
Registered
611 Posts
I don't think it has much to do with the OEM trans fluid. Per my thread and previous comments, I think this problem has A LOT to do with GMs crappy transmission fluid lines. They leak at the crimp and it's a pretty common and well known about problem. When my transmission was replaced, it was noted that the lines were leaking and they were replaced as well (all under warranty). Those lines are critical to keeping the transmission cool. My scangauge and ultragauge before it said my trans temp was near 250 degrees while sitting in traffic, or a drive through and not much cooler while driving. A transmission (no matter how well it's built) won't last long at those temps. Just my two cents though.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,488 Posts
I don't think it has much to do with the OEM trans fluid. Per my thread and previous comments, I think this problem has A LOT to do with GMs crappy transmission fluid lines. They leak at the crimp and it's a pretty common and well known about problem. When my transmission was replaced, it was noted that the lines were leaking and they were replaced as well (all under warranty). Those lines are critical to keeping the transmission cool. My scangauge and ultragauge before it said my trans temp was near 250 degrees while sitting in traffic, or a drive through and not much cooler while driving. A transmission (no matter how well it's built) won't last long at those temps. Just my two cents though.
You may be on to something with the temps here. Different trans, but my 6T35 hates life/traffic jams when it's hot and the car is hot. Shifting is very rough and isn't normally. 10k on fluid/car. I don't have a scangauge or OBDII thing though - I should get one.

And yeah, the cooler lines are terrible.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hey Plastic, when you had yours replaced how much of a process did you have to go through?

Mine is still at the dealer. I checked today and was told GM wanted line pressure results but the dealerships machine wouldn't hook up to the transmission. They need some kind of adapter that, according to the service manager and the parts guy, isn't available in the U.S. I find that hard to believe. But that's the story I'm getting from every person I have talked to.

At this point they have only had it for a week and a couple days. But they still don't know if they'll replace a part or module or the whole transmission.

You have to go through any of that?

·
Registered
611 Posts
Hey Plastic, when you had yours replaced how much of a process did you have to go through?

Mine is still at the dealer. I checked today and was told GM wanted line pressure results but the dealerships machine wouldn't hook up to the transmission. They need some kind of adapter that, according to the service manager and the parts guy, isn't available in the U.S. I find that hard to believe. But that's the story I'm getting from every person I have talked to.

At this point they have only had it for a week and a couple days. But they still don't know if they'll replace a part or module or the whole transmission.

You have to go through any of that?

Sent from my SAMSUNG
I didn't have to go through any of that. Once they had my car and knew what they were going to do with it, it was just a matter of finding a tech with the skill to do the job that wasn't needed on any other projects. I'm not saying they didn't do what your dealership is telling you they need to do, I just wasn't told about it if they did.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.