Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Remember the transmission problems I was having with my car?

http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/94-cruze-owner-projects/150586-sparkmans-build-2012-1lt-rs-5.html (Last post on this page and following pages)

We are getting them in left and right our dealer service department right now. 5th one in 3 weeks with the same issue as mine. To early to tell specific year ranges, but I figured I'd give you all a heads up so you ain't caught by surprise if something happens.

Wondering when GM is going to issue a TSB?

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
Remember the transmission problems I was having with my car?

http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/94-cruze-owner-projects/150586-sparkmans-build-2012-1lt-rs-5.html (Last post on this page and following pages)

We are getting them in left and right our dealer service department right now. 5th one in 3 weeks with the same issue as mine. To early to tell specific year ranges, but I figured I'd give you all a heads up so you ain't caught by surprise if something happens.

Wondering when GM is going to issue a TSB?
how many miles were on your tranny when it went out? Did you change transmission fluid prior to failure? Curious about the ones coming in as well what their status is with miles and original fluid?

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Could go back to the dipstick, and how many experts are checking the fluid level when the transmission is cold? Says so in the shop manual, but I gather these experts can't read. Big difference in fluid levels between hot and cold, and was so easy to add a dipstick to a transaxle, no three foot long tube, just a fitting on top for a short dipstick.

But not the only problem, when electronics came along, used a separate transmission module with code store in PROM, code is burnt in and will never change, but sure made the so-called neutral safety switch complication, many contacts in there to corrode or have dried up grease in them.

But that was way too expensive, now part of the ECM with code stored in flashram, really stupid, but don't wonder why we have problems.

Had no choice to get an AT, wife wanted electrically heated seats, but nobody is going to touch this thing except me. Have to admit, that manual mode is nice, wife got use to it, just pretending she is stepping on the clutch.

Hydramatics were bullet proof back then, but weren't made out of watch gears.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Sparkman-

What was your mileage with your transmission when this occurred? How about the others in the shop? I couldn't believe how black the fluid was at 52,000 miles when I changed mine.

·
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Terry - Not sure, I'll ask when I get the chance.

Everyone else - My mileage was 37,000. No I didn't change it because my transmission didn't necessarily "fail". It was an occasional "slip" into 4th gear. Took the service guy for a ride, it did it, and he knew exactly what it was and replaced the parts that were needed.

As far as avg. mileage, I'll ask when I get the chance.

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
I wonder if it is bad design, bad parts, or if it has something to do with the fluid. Makes me wonder if the fluid should be changed sooner, and maybe with something higher quality. Would be very interesting to know if it is only happening to certain model years.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts