Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Off topic, but some might enjoy.

Went to Back to the 50s with my dad today, we used to go every year, but hadn't gone for a few, so it was nice to be back.

Over 11,000 cars in the show this year, and attendance in general was crazy, kinda hard to take photos because it was just so busy, but I figured I would share what I got.

Sent with iLove 6.0

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,265 Posts
If nothing else you take great photos JJ ..I do like that Flathead in that ahh can not really see what IT is IN !

·
Premium Member
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If nothing else you take great photos JJ ..I do like that Flathead in that ahh can not really see what IT is IN !
Haha, yeah, I didn't take too many full car shots, too many people in the way, and looking at the motor is the sexy part anyway ;)

That flathead I actually remember though. It was in a 30-something Ford delivery sedan, (maybe '34?) it was a pretty clean ride, I shoulda taken another pic from further back.

Sent with iLove 6.0

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
I grew up with these things, note the canister using a cartridge oil filter is not a new idea. Yep, a Ford flathead, Henry was stubborn to stay away from an OHV engine and also hated the Chevy six.

Came stock from the factory with solid lifters, had to remove the intake manifold first and if you need more clearance had to remove and grind them, less, had to buy a new lifter and grind that down. Aftermarket came out with adjustable lifters or tappets as they were called, was a very welcomed addition, ran around 80 cents each as I recall.

Engines were only good for about 40K and needed a complete overhaul, problem was using a crankcase breather that sucked in dirt like crazy. First tool was a shovel to get rid of that mess. Hope I am not confusing this with older Fords, water pump used a rope seal, had to tighten a nut when it started leaking, then eventually replace that rope. GM copied this for the main bearing rear seal they used for over 30 years, another PITA thing. Fords didn't have this problem.

1949 quit using nickel in the sheet metal, this is when Detroit rust was invented. So wasn't all sweet back then.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts