Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I havnt seen any of you fiddling with backup cameras yet, i decided to try it myself, I work as a electrician in the daily life, and I thought why not.

I bought Car Rear View CAMERA CHEVROLET Epica/Lova/Aveo/Captiva/Cruze/Matis/HHR/Lacetti | eBay

And some 1x 0.75 copper wire.

Some cable thieves (Atleast thats why they're called in denmark, something you can clip onto the existing wireing, and then get a connection to another wire).

and some basic tools.

My standard cruze comes with a 7" navigation-multifunction system, which can play DVDs, navigate, bluetooth, connect ipod, play games excetera excetera.

I wont go into much details about the wireing, but if any of you feel i should, i will go disassemble my car, and be more specific about it. (since its a few months ago since i did it, i can't really remember :))

Anyhow. this is how the picture looks. on my navi screen.
http://img638.imageshack.us/img638/6440/img1389fp.jpg
http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/7416/img1388j.jpg

So far I havnt had any issues with it, except for when it's heavy rain, you could be unlucky the lens will be hit by a raindrop, which makes it pretty hard to see.

However everything is still highly visible at night.

If any questions, feel free to pm me or write in this thread, and I'll be answering as soon as possible.:)

·
Premium Member
5,001 Posts
Not bad quality for the price.

Couple questions;

1. Manual or Auto?
2. Does it switch to rear view when you put in reverse?
3. If yes, how did you manage that?
If no, how do you switch to rear view?

Also, I thought the stereos that came with connectivity (blue tooth, USB) had a different deck with more buttons around the play button.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1. Manual.
2. It does indeed switch to rear view when i put it in reverse -and it does it very quick, and without lag, or interferance with mobilephones or such.
3. It uses a pulse from the camera, the wire which came with the camera had a red wire connected to it also, which was hooked to the camera, so when the camera is turned on, there's 12 volts to the screen ,so it knows when it's on. I did that by connecting the camera to reverse back light.

As far as I'm concerned, I don't have anymore buttons than that, except for the steering wheel :)

·
Premium Member
5,001 Posts
Perfect. Solves all my problems.
Well except the part where I don't have a screen. But at least I know it works on the manuals when not installed from factory.

·
Premium Member
5,001 Posts
Don't have either. Was wanting to get back up camera but didn't think it was going to be a simple diy being that it didn't come from factory. For some reason I thought the sensor for switching display would be be either at the computer level or shifter.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Could you take a picture of the camera installed (and if possible) the wirring? I guess it is installed in one of the license plate lights?
By the way i'm also from denmark and i have a 2010 1.8LT cruze but i think mine comes with an older navigation/music system it think the
model name is "CD500" what model is yours? And do you think it would work with my system?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Could you take a picture of the camera installed (and if possible) the wirring? I guess it is installed in one of the license plate lights?
By the way i'm also from denmark and i have a 2010 1.8LT cruze but i think mine comes with an older navigation/music system it think the
model name is "CD500" what model is yours? And do you think it would work with my system?

I can take a picture, but I'd rather wait till you've decided if you're gonna buy it or not, it takes quite some time to disassemble and assemble everything :)

If you have 7" nav, i'm sure it works. You can test by removing your fans to the left and right of the nav screen (the ones surrounded by lightgray finish), and then you could probably get your hands in, and see what inputs and outputs you have.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well done :) !! I admire people who can take things apart and make them better....
Thanks alot :) I like a challenge when it comes to cars, my cruze is new so I don't have to do much repairs :) So it's cheap tweaks and stuff, not something that changes the car completely, but things that makes it better (in my opinion :))

·
Registered
296 Posts
@ mbond

If your 7" nav has CCD inputs, thats where you connect the video out from the cam.
the other cam wire, red wire as mentioned by the OP, is connected/tapped to the "+" of the reverse light wires.
thus, when your reverse lights come on, your cam also comes on. :)

HTH

======

@ Snazzy

what brand and model is your 7" Nav?
It seems to be a RoadRover unit? am I correct?

cheers!
phantom

·
Registered
21 Posts
Alright... where in the world did you run the video cable from the trunk to the head unit? I'm thinking about doing this in the future and want to know what I'm up against. Thanks!

·
Registered
296 Posts
@steamguy14

the wire runs thru the left molding in the floorboard (not sure what its called)

thats also where the speaker wires for the rear runs thru.

If you remove the cover for the front hood release, you"ll see a harness with a bunch of cables, follow the wires goin to the back and you'll figure how to wire your reverse cam.

HTH
phantom

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ok so I tapped the camera into the reverse lights and I fed the wire through the left molding in the car. now my question is how far do I have to feed it to reach the connector to the monitor. I just want to ask before I tear apart my car and find out that there was a different/ easier way.

Thank you!

1 - 20 of 62 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.