Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
On way home from work, on side street crossing a four lane divided highway at a stoplight, I am the second car, I pull up about 10-15 feet behind a older Chevy Trailblazer. A woman driver ahead of me. Well she puts the darn thing in neutral and I can see it rolling towards my car, she dropped her cell phone and is bending to her right to retrieve it, her foot comes off the brake and she rolls back. Good grief. I am honking horn and trying to reverse myself to avoid a bump and grind. Well she bumps into me, then gets out of the car asking if she bumped me, like she didn't know. I said yes, then she starts yelling at me, kinda has tats everywhere which is not a huge deal. Then she try's to say hey there isn't any damage and she is some expert. It's raining.

I suggest we pull into a parking lot so we can exchange insurance information, I don't think she was going to do that, so I take a pic of the rear of her SUV to get license plate. We are shouting at each other. Yikes I don't want that.

So then out of no where a local sheriff pulls up lights going and requested the both of us to pull into a parking lot. You know the routine, license, registration and proof of insurance. It's still raining so not real fun.

She share with sheriff her daddy taught her to put in neutral in this situation and her foot was on brake. So she is basically saying I lied. She demonstrated what she did right in front of him and her foot comes off the brake when she leans over to get cell phone on the floor. She isn't the sharpest tool in the shed and keeps spouting off. Sheriff basically instructs her to be quiet and she needs to listen. Then he in a nice and professional way says mam your story doesn't make sense at all. Asks me if I have anything to add. I already had shared briefly what happened. I say "no sir". I will have a police report and her insurance information.

I dropped the little summary report to my State Farm agency right after. They have record of it.

My next step is to take it to a trusted body shop and have them do a complete look over to see if there is any damage, if there is it's just the cover to be painted unless something that I can't see.

If there is damage, State Farm said they can apply to my insurance minus my deductible and then they go after her insurance. That's not my first choice.

Second choice assuming there is damage, I can get estimate for repair, and go directly to her insurance company and try to resolve it between myself and them. I have gone this route before and it worked fine.

Any thoughts from my Cruze friends? Much appreciated. Think I will stay home this evening.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Glad to hear it was small potatoes. My insurance has always just covered then went after with no deductible needed if it's clear cut.

My wife backed into my drivers side door last december and I needed a new door to a tune of $3500! Luckily no deducatable there either since my insurance company doesn't charge one if both people involved in the accident are both customers. Just wish the other customer wasn't my wife! Lol

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was more frustrated than anything. Stuff happens, I have bumped folks before and it was fault. I always stood tall and first apologized and offered my contact and insurance information if they desired it. I didn't get out of car and deny and yell at them. She is 33 years old. Old enough to know better.

My deductible is $1000. It sure wasn't my fault, if there is damage I don't want and funds To leave me even if temporary.

Sorry to hear you and your wife bump and grind car to car. :dazed002:

Reactions: KpaxFAQ

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
I was more frustrated than anything. Stuff happens, I have bumped folks before and it was fault. I always stood tall and first apologized and offered my contact and insurance information if they desired it. I didn't get out of car and deny and yell at them. She is 33 years old. Old enough to know better.

Sorry to hear you and your wife bump and grind car to car. :dazed002:
I understand...its all the other crap besides the car itself that can be most frustrating...

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dashcam. You may not be so lucky with a sheriff next time.
Great idea.. Sherrif did make a big difference, he either saw what happened or something. Plus her behavior even to him was abrasive, he quickly figured out what happened.

I will look into that..assume amazon has that kinda stuff like a dashcam

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
assume amazon has that kinda stuff like a dashcam
Practically dime a dozen. Although, you may want to do some research. Some are better than others. Some even have a "parking" feature where they'll monitor your car while parked. A few have rear cams as well.

Reactions: Merc6

·
Super Moderator
7,794 Posts
Sorry to hear. Hopefully no damage and all is well.

God I miss those chrome bumpers on my Caprice.

Reactions: Merc6

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I will take a closer look tomorrow assuming if it isn't raining, had I been in my older f150 with full size chrome bumper probably wouldn't do anything.

I see there are many choices for dash cam, if anyone has one they like, please advise. I already have a iPass transponder for tolls. Don't want a big camera, something I can use that is smaller but effective.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NVi2jmXyvs

Looks like a good general review. Once I get my car I plan on installing two. One front and one rear. Do you figure a car audio place is a good place to start for install?
Good channel, but that particular review is a bit dated. He has two newer videos with current models.

Of course, once you watch those, YouTube will suggest some others. I think the best camera is going to depend on what kinds of problems you've experienced in the past. For me, I'm wanting a parking mode. I've already had some mystery scrapes appear on my bumper.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Sorry to hear about that. Some guy in a truck backed into my CTD in a parking lot while I was standing outside the car and put a small crack in the rear bumper. There were several witnesses including my friends, so it was easy. I got his info and his insurance company cut me a check for like $700. I just kept the money and didn't bother getting it fixed. I didn't even see the crack in the first place. My friend with good attention to detail pointed it out.

Reactions: IndyDiesel

·
Premium Member
1,227 Posts
First off, glad to hear you are alright. I'm assuming it could have been worse?

I will take a closer look tomorrow assuming if it isn't raining, had I been in my older f150 with full size chrome bumper probably wouldn't do anything.

I see there are many choices for dash cam, if anyone has one they like, please advise. I already have a iPass transponder for tolls. Don't want a big camera, something I can use that is smaller but effective.
@sparkman just got a dash cam (if I'm not mistaken), which I believe is rather small comparatively speaking. I'll reach out to him and have him take a look at this thread.

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
First off, glad to hear you are alright. I'm assuming it could have been worse?

@sparkman just got a dash cam (if I'm not mistaken), which I believe is rather small comparatively speaking. I'll reach out to him and have him take a look at this thread.
Most of the time when small accidents happen it happens fast. Well this was so stupid and needless and was in slow motion so to speak. Will go to my body shop today and see if there is damage. It was the other drivers reaction that made it worse. Oh well, not really a big deal. But a small dash cam could work well, I assume the dash cam has sound as well? So they could hear my horn trying to alert the driver?

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
5,645 Posts
I believe most have sound, yeah

·
Registered
2,961 Posts

g1wc
a118c

have g1wc in the cruze and one jeep for couple years, work perfect

have a118c in other jeep 1.5yrs, works perfect

COULD be better choice SINCE then

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Most of the time when small accidents happen it happens fast. Well this was so stupid and needless and was in slow motion so to speak. Will go to my body shop today and see if there is damage. It was the other drivers reaction that made it worse. Oh well, not really a big deal. But a small dash cam could work well, I assume the dash cam has sound as well? So they could hear my horn trying to alert the driver?
all have sound

and option to turn off if you so wish

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Well went to my body shop, some light damage to grille and bumper cover, estimate to repair and all is $1006. Contacted the driver insurance company direct, they were very nice to work with. She bought the insurance online and didn't provide a phone number, why would an insurance company insure anyone without a phone number? So will take a few days to get resolved. Yikes no wonder car insurance is so darn expensive when modest repairs are so pricey.

·
2,254 Posts
I have a GiiNii GD-188x I got for Christmas. Love it and has never given me a major issue. Records front and rear in one unit. Front 1080p, rear 720p.

I think they sell it at Wal-Mart.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts