Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Premium Member
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So now I've hit a bad spot on my little cruze. Recently I was side swiped a couple weeks ago. Not much damage mostly paint scrapes but I take my car to the body shop aka the dealership. Car was running fine when I left it and I get a call a week later you car want stay running more than a couple seconds. They diagnosed it to be a bad egr valve. 750 to fix. My problem is the car was running fine when I left it and it has over 50000 miles on it do out of warranty. Is this car going to be a emmision problem. Car was trouble free to this point . egr has only hiway miles and should of never failed this early. I drive a semi and get a good 200000 miles before the valve goes bad.

·
Registered
270 Posts
so you have 130k on the car? or just 50k? the emissions warranty is 80k I believe

·
Registered
270 Posts
if it was due to the accident, might it be covered under the insurance claim? did you drive straight to the dealer after the accident or were you driving it around for a bit before taking it in?
bummer that its not covered under warranty.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
I think it spells out the exclusions in the warranty guide. That was how I found my wheel bearings are not covered by the "powertrain warranty". But $750 for an EGR? that sounds way too high.

·
Registered
791 Posts
So now I've hit a bad spot on my little cruze. Recently I was side swiped a couple weeks ago. Not much damage mostly paint scrapes but I take my car to the body shop aka the dealership. Car was running fine when I left it and I get a call a week later you car want stay running more than a couple seconds. They diagnosed it to be a bad egr valve. 750 to fix. My problem is the car was running fine when I left it and it has over 50000 miles on it do out of warranty. Is this car going to be a emmision problem. Car was trouble free to this point . egr has only hiway miles and should of never failed this early. I drive a semi and get a good 200000 miles before the valve goes bad.
egr is only open while driving an throttle open, it could be stuck open. will run like crap an stall at idle, try tapping it too unstick or remove an clean.
good luck

·
Premium Member
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think 750 is high also but I'm on a vacation trying to deal with this 1000 miles away. Sure put a damper on it. Oilburner I agree with you when I talk to them I'm going to ask what all can be done they seem way to Eger to just throw parts on it.

·
Registered
791 Posts
I think 750 is high also but I'm on a vacation trying to deal with this 1000 miles away. Sure put a damper on it. Oilburner I agree with you when I talk to them I'm going to ask what all can be done they seem way to Eger to just throw parts on it.
if they can`t get it to seal then tell them to block the flow so you can get home, done it a million times a piece of gasket or thin shim stock even a piece of pop can under egr to restrict flow. nox will be high but drivable.

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
his post says dealership
Ah yes.....re-read it twice before it stuck....(aka dealer)

Good eye on your part or the inverse on mine.

OP....

Sucks but, the EGR could have failed while under the dealers care.....makes them the unlucky ones.

The forum doesn't have enouph diesel drivers, let alone those with higher mileage, to give much information regarding this failure.....I think yours is the first reported.

Hopefully you will have better info when you get back in town.

Rob

·
Premium Member
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It did fail under there bodyshops care but they will not fix it unless I pay for it.

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
In reading the covered parts list for emission controls, I see no additional coverage beyond the 3/36 for the EGR....gas or diesel (gas doesn't have one....just mentioned it)

Bummer.

Rob

·
Premium Member
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yes I know bad timing but I know they can be cleaned. But need to be off the engine to clean. Just hard to swallow this early 750.00 repair. I hope its not things to come later with emmisions . been a great car so not ready to down play it just hope it isn't a yearly replace. Its a 90 % hiway milage very little city for it to fail early.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts