Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
791 Posts
So now I've hit a bad spot on my little cruze. Recently I was side swiped a couple weeks ago. Not much damage mostly paint scrapes but I take my car to the body shop aka the dealership. Car was running fine when I left it and I get a call a week later you car want stay running more than a couple seconds. They diagnosed it to be a bad egr valve. 750 to fix. My problem is the car was running fine when I left it and it has over 50000 miles on it do out of warranty. Is this car going to be a emmision problem. Car was trouble free to this point . egr has only hiway miles and should of never failed this early. I drive a semi and get a good 200000 miles before the valve goes bad.
egr is only open while driving an throttle open, it could be stuck open. will run like crap an stall at idle, try tapping it too unstick or remove an clean.
good luck

·
Registered
791 Posts
I think 750 is high also but I'm on a vacation trying to deal with this 1000 miles away. Sure put a damper on it. Oilburner I agree with you when I talk to them I'm going to ask what all can be done they seem way to Eger to just throw parts on it.
if they can`t get it to seal then tell them to block the flow so you can get home, done it a million times a piece of gasket or thin shim stock even a piece of pop can under egr to restrict flow. nox will be high but drivable.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Yes I know bad timing but I know they can be cleaned. But need to be off the engine to clean. Just hard to swallow this early 750.00 repair. I hope its not things to come later with emmisions . been a great car so not ready to down play it just hope it isn't a yearly replace. Its a 90 % hiway milage very little city for it to fail early.
that's when the egr works the most. highway. tell them to back off the bolts an slip in the blocker an see if it clears out an idles if it doesn't then its not your egr. if it clears up an ides fine then enjoy your drive home.

·
Registered
791 Posts
this is lengthy but here goes this is the dealer write up to the fix. tried starting vehicle ,vehicle would not stay running, scanned vehicle for codes and found no codes. Monitored data when starting and found turbo vane position was going to 100 percent. unplugged turbo vane position sensor and started vehicle, vehicle would start and run but would stall out if turbo vane sensor was plugged back in. same results would occur if the map sensor was unplugged. reinstalled both sensors and contacted TAC, case number 71
hate to say it Gator but that's what I said stuck open, they should of freed it up an reinstalled. they still would have got the labour. not enough miles to be worn out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.