Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So now I've hit a bad spot on my little cruze. Recently I was side swiped a couple weeks ago. Not much damage mostly paint scrapes but I take my car to the body shop aka the dealership. Car was running fine when I left it and I get a call a week later you car want stay running more than a couple seconds. They diagnosed it to be a bad egr valve. 750 to fix. My problem is the car was running fine when I left it and it has over 50000 miles on it do out of warranty. Is this car going to be a emmision problem. Car was trouble free to this point . egr has only hiway miles and should of never failed this early. I drive a semi and get a good 200000 miles before the valve goes bad.

·
Premium Member
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think 750 is high also but I'm on a vacation trying to deal with this 1000 miles away. Sure put a damper on it. Oilburner I agree with you when I talk to them I'm going to ask what all can be done they seem way to Eger to just throw parts on it.

·
Premium Member
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yes I know bad timing but I know they can be cleaned. But need to be off the engine to clean. Just hard to swallow this early 750.00 repair. I hope its not things to come later with emmisions . been a great car so not ready to down play it just hope it isn't a yearly replace. Its a 90 % hiway milage very little city for it to fail early.

·
Premium Member
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Talked to sevice manager this morning. Said they had a GM rep on line with mechanic. Sad they ran every test and some of the ones you mentioned oilburner and they still sad its the EGR . Sad Gm did not recommend cleaning. So I guess we get it replaced. Just hope the new one goes further than 60000 miles.:(

·
Premium Member
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
this is lengthy but here goes this is the dealer write up to the fix. tried starting vehicle ,vehicle would not stay running, scanned vehicle for codes and found no codes. Monitored data when starting and found turbo vane position was going to 100 percent. unplugged turbo vane position sensor and started vehicle, vehicle would start and run but would stall out if turbo vane sensor was plugged back in. same results would occur if the map sensor was unplugged. reinstalled both sensors and contacted TAC, case number 71-1387917217 was advised to remove and inspect EGR valve. if valve was full of carbon or stuck open to replace EGR valve. Removed EGR valve and found it stuck open. this was causing the turbo vane to go to 100 percent and causing it to choke the engine. removed and replaced EGR valve and vehicle is now starting and running properly. test drove vehicle and found no further issues. 10179.

·
Premium Member
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
So my question is why we cant clean them because its a dealer lets replace it. My other question is this car is 90% hiway how did the EGR get carboned up anyway. That's when its running the cleanest.

·
Premium Member
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I agree with you oilburner. I asked them twice to clean it and was told that GM wont let them clean it. I call BS on this but I was out of town. Left the car running perfect and get a phone call on all of this. Next time Ill have it towed to a diesel only mechanic. 671.00 dollars to fix with a 10 % discount . they said they would discount it because it happened in there care.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.