Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
791 Posts
Yes I know bad timing but I know they can be cleaned. But need to be off the engine to clean. Just hard to swallow this early 750.00 repair. I hope its not things to come later with emmisions . been a great car so not ready to down play it just hope it isn't a yearly replace. Its a 90 % hiway milage very little city for it to fail early.
that's when the egr works the most. highway. tell them to back off the bolts an slip in the blocker an see if it clears out an idles if it doesn't then its not your egr. if it clears up an ides fine then enjoy your drive home.

·
Registered
3,343 Posts
that's when the egr works the most. highway. tell them to back off the bolts an slip in the blocker an see if it clears out an idles if it doesn't then its not your egr. if it clears up an ides fine then enjoy your drive home.
Dealerships don't fix things. They replace things.

Sent from the sexy electrician

Reactions: KpaxFAQ

·
Premium Member
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Talked to sevice manager this morning. Said they had a GM rep on line with mechanic. Sad they ran every test and some of the ones you mentioned oilburner and they still sad its the EGR . Sad Gm did not recommend cleaning. So I guess we get it replaced. Just hope the new one goes further than 60000 miles.:(

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Talked to sevice manager this morning. Said they had a GM rep on line with mechanic. Sad they ran every test and some of the ones you mentioned oilburner and they still sad its the EGR . Sad Gm did not recommend cleaning. So I guess we get it replaced. Just hope the new one goes further than 60000 miles.:(
Did you get any break on the price?

·
Premium Member
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
this is lengthy but here goes this is the dealer write up to the fix. tried starting vehicle ,vehicle would not stay running, scanned vehicle for codes and found no codes. Monitored data when starting and found turbo vane position was going to 100 percent. unplugged turbo vane position sensor and started vehicle, vehicle would start and run but would stall out if turbo vane sensor was plugged back in. same results would occur if the map sensor was unplugged. reinstalled both sensors and contacted TAC, case number 71-1387917217 was advised to remove and inspect EGR valve. if valve was full of carbon or stuck open to replace EGR valve. Removed EGR valve and found it stuck open. this was causing the turbo vane to go to 100 percent and causing it to choke the engine. removed and replaced EGR valve and vehicle is now starting and running properly. test drove vehicle and found no further issues. 10179.

·
Premium Member
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
So my question is why we cant clean them because its a dealer lets replace it. My other question is this car is 90% hiway how did the EGR get carboned up anyway. That's when its running the cleanest.

·
Registered
791 Posts
this is lengthy but here goes this is the dealer write up to the fix. tried starting vehicle ,vehicle would not stay running, scanned vehicle for codes and found no codes. Monitored data when starting and found turbo vane position was going to 100 percent. unplugged turbo vane position sensor and started vehicle, vehicle would start and run but would stall out if turbo vane sensor was plugged back in. same results would occur if the map sensor was unplugged. reinstalled both sensors and contacted TAC, case number 71
hate to say it Gator but that's what I said stuck open, they should of freed it up an reinstalled. they still would have got the labour. not enough miles to be worn out.

·
Premium Member
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I agree with you oilburner. I asked them twice to clean it and was told that GM wont let them clean it. I call BS on this but I was out of town. Left the car running perfect and get a phone call on all of this. Next time Ill have it towed to a diesel only mechanic. 671.00 dollars to fix with a 10 % discount . they said they would discount it because it happened in there care.

·
Registered
85 Posts
drive fine before the accident does not after the accident.

Insurance is suppose to restore your care to its pre loss condition.

if a hunk of carbon got knocked off during the accident and is now keeping the valve from working properly it should be covered by the insurance.

·
Super Moderator
7,836 Posts
So my question is why we cant clean them because its a dealer lets replace it. My other question is this car is 90% hiway how did the EGR get carboned up anyway. That's when its running the cleanest.
This is the question.

Do you use any fuel additives?

·
Super Moderator
7,836 Posts
Tomko no I've never used additives.
Thanks Gator.

What about Oil? What have you been using?

I'm trying to get some ideas around the carbon on your EGR.

Your one of our highest miler CTDs. I believe that Boraz and Diesel have more mileage than you - but have not suffered an EGR failure.

I'm tempted to say that you had a faulty EGR - but I don't think that explains the carbon.

21 - 40 of 67 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.