·
Super Moderator
7,836 Posts
Thx.

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
Thanks Gator.

What about Oil? What have you been using?

I'm trying to get some ideas around the carbon on your EGR.

Your one of our highest miler CTDs. I believe that Boraz and Diesel have more mileage than you - but have not suffered an EGR failure.

I'm tempted to say that you had a faulty EGR - but I don't think that explains the carbon.
diesel
gator

some others

then me.....miles wise

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
What agitates me somewhat, reading this, is my BS meter keeps getting a signal.

First, the OP is being told by the dealer that GM won't let them clean the valve.
Since it has been determined that the part and labor are out of warranty, GM has no input that must be followed by the dealer.
If the dealer wanted to clean it, they could have.....since GM wasn't paying anything they could have thrown it out in a field if they wanted to.

Since the OP had to pay for the part, a non-serviceable part with no core value, it is the OP's property and should have been returned.....or at least the OP should have been given the option if the old part was to be returned.

Chevrolet TAC may have suggested valve replacement, may have said it is not serviceable, but was never in a position to say 'It cannot be cleaned'

I find that response rather annoying.......'Can't' is a term that really means 'Won't'

Rob

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
I would be willing to bet that a simple cleaning would have worked just fine. The dealer doesn't make any money doing this however.
I have had much success in the past fixing egr "failures" with a simple cleaning with brake clean. They tend to get built up with carbon and jamb up over time giving a code. The worst thing is all that egr exhaust crud gets coated into the intake too. Never been a fan of this system.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
I am at 87K miles now and have never had an EGR issue. Can someone post a pic of this valve and where it is on the engine?

Reactions: KpaxFAQ

·
Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
5,722 Posts
Hey Robby,

We completely understand your frustration with this situation. We’d like to look further into your concern and contact your dealership on your behalf to discuss this matter further. Feel free to send us a private message with your full contact information, VIN, current mileage, and dealership name if further assistance is needed. We look forward to hearing from you!

Kristen A.
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
Hey Robby,

We completely understand your frustration with this situation. We’d like to look further into your concern and contact your dealership on your behalf to discuss this matter further. Feel free to send us a private message with your full contact information, VIN, current mileage, and dealership name if further assistance is needed. We look forward to hearing from you!

Kristen A.
Chevrolet Customer Care

Thanks for your concern Kristen but the OP, Gator, is who is having the issue.

My Cruze is just fine, thanks.

Rob

·
Banned
188 Posts
A bad EGR valve is 100% covered under the 8 year/80000 mile federal warranty ....You have to show proof that you failed a smog test for that reason and its covered....

·
Reverend Red Bull
1,147 Posts
Emmision is covered for 24000 miles or 3 years bumper to bumper warranty. Well past that and Ohio doesn't have smog test anymore.
Motor vehicle Vehicle Car Font Web page

Might be worth your time to look your warranty up on the my.chevrolet.com warranty tracker (see screenshot of mine above, indicating 80,000 miles) or to pursue this further to make sure the dealer isn't mistaken about this (or pulling one over on you). Only reason I can think of it wouldn't be covered is if the "Emissions Select Component" warranty is defined in a way that EGR does not meet the definition of a "select component" - whatever that means.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
When my EGT sensor went out at 61K miles, they put that on powertrain warranty. That must be a "select component"

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
When my EGT sensor went out at 61K miles, they put that on powertrain warranty. That must be a "select component"
Sorry, I meant to say emissions.

41 - 60 of 67 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.