Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I am relatively new here. After getting feedback from people on here I decided to go for a new 2012 Eco MT (I was considering the same model but used). The help I got from this forum was really helpful in getting a good price, I paid $19K and got 0% financing for the base model + driver convenience package. I was so pumped about it last night when I drove out of the dealership!

Then I almost hit the car in front of me at the first light. The brake felt really spongy and took a long time to stop the car. It was also making a whooshing sound when pressed hard. But by this time the dealership had closed so I went home with a lot of the excitement tempered. I dropped off the car this morning at the dealership. Got a call this afternoon that it was all done and so promptly got a ride to pick it up. When I get here they tell me that they just noticed this new bulletin and are going to have to bleed the brakes and it's going to take another hour. So I'm sitting at the dealership somewhat regretting buying a Chevy and it hasn't even been 24 hours!

I'm really annoyed because my original plan was to go safe and get a Honda Civic, which is what my fiancee was pushing for too. But this is going to be my car and she has been very supportive through the car buying process, but I know the jokes about Chevy not being reliable are going to start anytime.

Anyways I just needed to vent. I am pretty excited about this car and hopefully things will be a little smoother from now on.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
Sounds like an air bubble in the brake line. Also, make sure they adjust the rear brakes before you leave. It's a 15 minute job for someone who knows how to adjust drum brakes. Properly working brakes on a Cruze will lock up and trigger the ABS system during emergency braking.

Good deal on the Cruze and I'm glad you missed the car in front of you.

My Cruzen has both been rock solid. 15K miles on the ECO MT and 5K on the LS MT.

Welcome to CruzeTalk.

·
Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
5,722 Posts
Hello all,

I am relatively new here. After getting feedback from people on here I decided to go for a new 2012 Eco MT (I was considering the same model but used). The help I got from this forum was really helpful in getting a good price, I paid $19K and got 0% financing for the base model + driver convenience package. I was so pumped about it last night when I drove out of the dealership!

Then I almost hit the car in front of me at the first light. The brake felt really spongy and took a long time to stop the car. It was also making a whooshing sound when pressed hard. But by this time the dealership had closed so I went home with a lot of the excitement tempered. I dropped off the car this morning at the dealership. Got a call this afternoon that it was all done and so promptly got a ride to pick it up. When I get here they tell me that they just noticed this new bulletin and are going to have to bleed the brakes and it's going to take another hour. So I'm sitting at the dealership somewhat regretting buying a Chevy and it hasn't even been 24 hours!

I'm really annoyed because my original plan was to go safe and get a Honda Civic, which is what my fiancee was pushing for too. But this is going to be my car and she has been very supportive through the car buying process, but I know the jokes about Chevy not being reliable are going to start anytime.

Anyways I just needed to vent. I am pretty excited about this car and hopefully things will be a little smoother from now on.
Hello Spry,

First off let me start by apologizing on behalf of Chevrolet for this inconvenience. Welcome and congratulations on you new Chevy Cruze Eco. I know you don't expect this when purchasing a new car. I have documented this incident and fortunately everything was resolved. I'm glad the dealership was prompt in taking care of your issues with your Cruze. The Chevy Cruze is an exciting and amazing compact car that everyone is raving about!

Please contact me via forum post or at [email protected] through private message. If you have any additional concerns or questions regarding this matter. Thank you for being a Chevy Customer!

Have a good evening!

Vanessa
GM Customer Service

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello Spry,

First off let me start by apologizing on behalf of Chevrolet for this inconvenience. Welcome and congratulations on you new Chevy Cruze Eco. I know you don't expect this when purchasing a new car. I have documented this incident and fortunately everything was resolved. I'm glad the dealership was prompt in taking care of your issues with your Cruze. The Chevy Cruze is an exciting and amazing compact car that everyone is raving about!

Please contact me via forum post or at [email protected] through private message. If you have any additional concerns or questions regarding this matter. Thank you for being a Chevy Customer!

Have a good evening!

Vanessa
GM Customer Service
Thanks for the response. Yeah, everything was resolved. Now onto figuring out how to get the best mileage from the Eco!

·
Registered
467 Posts
Thanks for the response. Yeah, everything was resolved. Now onto figuring out how to get the best mileage from the Eco!
Congrats, and I'm happy they took care of the brake problem.

Getting the best mileage from the Eco is going to achieved mostly by experience, and partly by following some techniques. Don't expect your best mileage in the first thousand miles, it'll get better as you get a few thousand on it.

·
Premium Member
5,157 Posts
Glad to hear the issue was resolved!

Agreed, the fuel mileage on the Eco will get better as it breaks in. It's nice having a car that'll get mid-40's mpg and still be pretty quick.

If you're thinking of modding it at all, give it a few thousand miles to get good and broken in. The clutch especially seems to need the break-in time.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
Short version -

Boost your cold tire pressure to 40 or 45 PSI to lower rolling resistance
Check and regap your sparkplugs to 0.028" (http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/57-how-forum/6722-diy-re-gap-factory-spark-plugs.html)
Use 89 or higher octane (multiple threads, but the basic test is does your foot feel pulsing in the throttle under heavy load. If so, boost your octane.)
Learn to shift below 2000 RPM

Long answer -
All of the above plus http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/27-fuel-economy/5387-how-get-better-fuel-economy.html

Enjoy your Cruze.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Congrats on buying the new Eco over the used one you were looking at. I think they are a great buy right now with the incentives offered. But I too would be a bit annoyed/upset if the brakes nearly failed just after leaving the dealer. Glad to hear they took care of it. It must have been a trapped air bubble that worked loose while driving because I assume the brakes felt just fine when leaving the dealer parking lot.

I have 900 miles on my new '12 Eco M6 and checked my first full tank of gas last night and was quite pleased to get 38.5 MPG with my "normal" driving style haha. I definitely wasn't too easy on it, even though the trip computer said I was getting 39.5 mpg over 393 miles. I'm really looking forward to the mileage after the motor and everything is broke in. I plan to air up my tires more because I checked this morning and they were 32 on both right tires and 34/33 on the left. Plus I need to check and regap my plugs too. I wanted to at least get 1 full tank to try and compare mileage after doing a few things that are highly recommended on this site. Eventually I'll remove the airbox resonator too. But probably learning to stay out of the boost and shifting below 2000 RPM will help the most with better MPG! :) (It is tough to do! haha)

·
Registered
906 Posts
Welcome to the forums, and congrats on the purchase! Sucks that you had that issue, but it should be minor. Don't buy into the lie that a Honda will always be more reliable; that's not true anymore. This is 2012, not 1995.
This is quite right. My eco has been owned only a month and us over 5000k with no issues but having the rear brakes adjusted (weak e brake). Issue can often surface with a brand new iff the lot car if it hasn't had much drive time.

Congrats on the purchase.

EDIT: over 6500 miles in about 33 days.
Sent from my DROID BIONIC using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just bought a new LS 2012 this week and had the same issue. The pedal went halfway to the floor before catching. The dealership spent 3 hrs trying to fix it and had no idea why it was doing so. I got home and bleed the brakes myself with the same result. My best guess is the brakes need some miles on them to scuff them up a little. Let m e know if they have gotten better otherwise mines going back to the dealership this week.

·
Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
5,722 Posts
I just bought a new LS 2012 this week and had the same issue. The pedal went halfway to the floor before catching. The dealership spent 3 hrs trying to fix it and had no idea why it was doing so. I got home and bleed the brakes myself with the same result. My best guess is the brakes need some miles on them to scuff them up a little. Let m e know if they have gotten better otherwise mines going back to the dealership this week.

Shonn84,
I would like to apologize for the issues that you are experiencing with your brakes. I would suggest that you do take your Cruze back into your dealer to have them look into this further for you. I would also like you to send me a PM with your name, address, phone number, VIN, current mileage and the name of your dealer so I can get a service request open for you regarding this issue. I look forward to hearing back from you.
Thank you,
Stacy Chevrolet Customer Service

1 - 13 of 13 Posts