Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Team,
I own a 2011 Chevy Cruze 1.4 turbo and I’m having issues. The check engine light codes read:

P2227 - Barometric Pressure Sensor “A” Circuit Range/Performance (Fix: Replaced Turbo charger)

P0299 - Turbocharger/Supercharger “A” under-boost Condition (Fix: Replaced Turbo Charger)

P0420 - Catalyst Efficiency Below Threshold Bank 1 (Fix: Replaced Catalytic Convert [B1])

P9228 - O’Reilly couldn’t find what those code was unfortunately.

I’m having the symptoms of an exhaust manifold crack; lack of power, exhaust smell in cabin when running defroster, strange noise from engine compartment.

At first I thought the noise was from the broken AC compressor pulley, so I replaced that (didn’t put refrigerant back into the system yet). And the person I bought it from said the engine light was from bad map sensors, so I replaced them from a 2011 Chevy Cruze 1.4 non-turbo (just LT, not RS edition).

Could the Turbo and catalytic converter codes be popping up due to the result of solely a crack in the manifold OR are they popping up because they actually need replaced? Has anyone ever had that P9228 code pop up?

·
Registered
76 Posts
also the 1.4’ have turbo issues from what i researched they have a lifespan of 60~70k miles before something with the turbo fails (weather its electrical or mechanical). my 13 1.4t stick has underboost codes and i’ve replaced everything but the the turbo in mine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
also the 1.4’ have turbo issues from what i researched they have a lifespan of 60~70k miles before something with the turbo fails (weather its electrical or mechanical). my 13 1.4t stick has underboost codes and i’ve replaced everything but the the turbo in mine.
I’m at about 122k miles so that’s probably accurate then. Might as well replace all three parts then while I have the turbo off then.

·
Registered
76 Posts
also when you replace the turbo i forgot what it’s called that does what i’m about to tell you automatically. before you shut your car off let it idle in park (or n if you have a stick) for about a min to let the hot oil circulate out.

·
Premium Member
2013 Cruze LT
3,679 Posts
Turbo timer is what it’s called. Not really needed in modern day cars unless you’re revving it to the sky then immediately turning it off. 😀

Reactions: EthanLambert

·
Registered
76 Posts
Turbo timer is what it’s called. Not really needed in modern day cars unless you’re revving it to the sky then immediately turning it off. 😀
thank you for that i couldn’t remember what it was called, but imo i think there still needed because the eco’s and a lot of newer turbo cars are having similar issues. regardless i would put a turbo timer in or just let the car idle for a min as good preventative measure. me personally i just don’t trust any manufacturer when they say this won’t happen. perfect example is the auto shut off cars have when your at a light. i don’t care what they say using a starter (or any mechanical part not designed for constant abuse) like they do is going to wear them down

·
Registered
5 Posts
Team,
I own a 2011 Chevy Cruze 1.4 turbo and I’m having issues. The check engine light codes read:

P2227 - Barometric Pressure Sensor “A” Circuit Range/Performance (Fix: Replaced Turbo charger)

P0299 - Turbocharger/Supercharger “A” under-boost Condition (Fix: Replaced Turbo Charger)

P0420 - Catalyst Efficiency Below Threshold Bank 1 (Fix: Replaced Catalytic Convert [B1])

P9228 - O’Reilly couldn’t find what those code was unfortunately.

I’m having the symptoms of an exhaust manifold crack; lack of power, exhaust smell in cabin when running defroster, strange noise from engine compartment.

At first I thought the noise was from the broken AC compressor pulley, so I replaced that (didn’t put refrigerant back into the system yet). And the person I bought it from said the engine light was from bad map sensors, so I replaced them from a 2011 Chevy Cruze 1.4 non-turbo (just LT, not RS edition).

Could the Turbo and catalytic converter codes be popping up due to the result of solely a crack in the manifold OR are they popping up because they actually need replaced? Has anyone ever had that P9228 code pop up?
Check that the oil seals haven't failed on the oil cooler. This happened on mine (same year and model) and is very common. The oil then drips down the block onto the catalytic converter and causes a burning oil smell in the cab. My cat converter was clean and oil free (as it was all burning off) but the block and sump were completely soaked from a mystery oil leak along that front of car side.

This wont solve your check engine light problems, but is a cheap enough fix and makes it more pleasant to drive instantly. Plus worth doing if you have to start removing other equipment around the front side of the bay anyway. Good luck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts