Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been searching for about 20 minutes and I can't find a good thread strictly comparing them, if there's one feel free to send me the link and delete this, if it's in the wrong place please move it aswell !

I've been thinking about a list of potential next mods and I think it's time for me and caitelynn (my 2011 ltz 1.4T) to join the tune club, for a large price difference they seem to promise very similar things, I drive the car 8 months of the year and put maybe a maximum of 7500 and the cars longevity is ultimately a large concern (i don't wanna do anything to it that'll limit and life of the car)

If you have a tune in your car:

Which tune did you chose and why

what do you guys think of it?

How much actual benefit do you receive?

And how do you drive your car?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
...the cars longevity is ultimately a large concern (i don't wanna do anything to it that'll limit and life of the car)
Simply put, don't put a tune on it. In my personal opinion Trifecta has a nice tune that isn't over the top and adds a responsible amount of power without stressing too much. However, even then, it's a tune and is pushing the car past it's factory recommended limits. If you aren't running wide open throttle (or close to it) a lot then you aren't really going to see any real noticeable difference from a tune. And to add to that, running wide open throttle (or close to it) often is going to decrease the life of the car/engine whether you have a tune or not.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I went with BNR for two main reasons. 1. Great customer service and 2. The handheld does so much more than a crappy little wire. (and you do not have to lug a laptop around for the tune)

I have been looking at a tune for about 2 years. Trifecta WAS the top dog for awhile. However, they started doing some pretty shady things. They started blaming the vehicle concerns after the tune on the customer or the vehicle. They do not do unlimited tunes anymore (from what I understand). BNR does! In addition, people have had to wait WEEKS for tunes. I got my base tune within 48 hours of getting the handheld. Would have been sooner but my handheld was used to I had a few extra steps. I have turned in the datalog and it has been less then 2 days. I figure with more customization it may take a few days. So no worries for me. Seems like many get re tunes within a few days and they are pretty backed up right now with people getting tunes with their taxes. (not too backed up though). There are plenty of people on here who switched from Trifecta. If you have FB search for the Cruzetalk page. Tons of opinions there.

Now to describe the tune to you. If you have never driven a very fast car then you will smile from ear to ear the first time you hit the pedal. Even on the stock tune. I have always had slower cars so this tune for me woke the car up. Even on the base tune from BNR it shifts better, accelerates way better, and is all around fun as **** to drive.

Piece of advice from an outsider who was looking in. Go with BNR. If you want to save contact BNR and find a close by tuner. You can save money that way. However, it is good to have the handheld in case you go into limp mode or have to flash it back to stock for some reason.

Good luck choosing! (Choose BNR, it is a no brainer.)

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
5,900 Posts
Haven't had any experiences with the Cruze tunes, but for what it's worth, Vince & Trifecta have always been great with the tune on my Cobalt. I can email Vince whenever I need something and he gets back to me quickly. He put together and sent me a dyno-specific tune for the car (torque-converter unlocking issues) in less than a day after I emailed him about issues I had a couple years back. Car runs great, always has - and I did the blower swap almost 85,000 miles (and over 7 years) ago...and he worked with me on all the small tweaks to absolutely nail the tune.

Can't say anything about supposed "sketchiness" as I have not encountered it. I've had a couple extra tunes done (like the one mentioned above, plus another one for my summer tires - and one quick tweak to that after something accidently got flipped back on) since 2014, and have had no issues.

·
10,712 Posts
Haven't had any experiences with the Cruze tunes, but for what it's worth, Vince & Trifecta have always been great with the tune on my Cobalt. I can email Vince whenever I need something and he gets back to me quickly. He put together and sent me a dyno-specific tune for the car (torque-converter unlocking issues) in less than a day after I emailed him about issues I had a couple years back. Car runs great, always has - and I did the blower swap almost 85,000 miles (and over 7 years) ago...and he worked with me on all the small tweaks to absolutely nail the tune.

Can't say anything about supposed "sketchiness" as I have not encountered it. I've had a couple extra tunes done (like the one mentioned above, plus another one for my summer tires - and one quick tweak to that after something accidently got flipped back on) since 2014, and have had no issues.
How long ago have you talked to Vince? I haven't talked to hin since BNR was the reseller of Trifecta tunes way back when.

·
Administrator
15,758 Posts
I used to run Trifecta until their customer support went downhill back in 2014. I haven't looked back. Too many stories of people waiting weeks, even months to get a tune update and never having it arrive.

BNR makes more power and makes it reliably in this car. To date, I have not yet seen a single mechanical failure in any car caused by a BNR tune. Note: a good synthetic oil is required to maintain reliability; the OEM semi-synthetic oil simply won't cut it, and neither will some low quality "full synthetic" options.

The BNR tune can be customized to your preferences. If you want to make less power, that can be accomplished; you tell BNR what your preferences are for the tune and it is custom made to order, and fine tune adjustments are free and provided in a timely fashion.

Customer service is always exemplary.

The tune is a night and day difference in power; it completely changes the way the vehicle drives, in a good way. I used to drive a lot more often than I do, but still put about 8,000 miles on my car a year. I've been tuned for about 30,000 miles.

BNR Tune 2011-2016 Limited Chevrolet Cruze 1.4L Turbo

·
10,712 Posts
Simply put, don't put a tune on it. In my personal opinion Trifecta has a nice tune that isn't over the top and adds a responsible amount of power without stressing too much. However, even then, it's a tune and is pushing the car past it's factory recommended limits. If you aren't running wide open throttle (or close to it) a lot then you aren't really going to see any real noticeable difference from a tune. And to add to that, running wide open throttle (or close to it) often is going to decrease the life of the car/engine whether you have a tune or not.
With BNR you can have them water down a tune and mess with the throttle responce if you request it. Not every tune he does is exactly the same besides the base tune give or take mods like injectors or the GTX.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I bought a Trifecta tune from BNR 6 years ago for my 2010 V6 Camaro. I have to say it was worth the $300 I paid for it. I would recommend that you get as many power mods done before you go with the tune.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Bnr is an absolute no brainer at this point vs trifecta

Comparing tune quality
Customer service
Etc
Bnr blows them out of the water

Plus trifecta has been very very inconsistent and shady as of late

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
10,712 Posts
I bought a Trifecta tune from BNR 6 years ago for my 2010 V6 Camaro. I have to say it was worth the $300 I paid for it. I would recommend that you get as many power mods done before you go with the tune.
That tune you speak of has been replaced like 6 times to nothing like it. The current EZ Flash out won't even recognize those .TRT files. I take it, you got the ghost cam setup?

·
Registered
412 Posts
Trifecta tuned, and it was right at the time they decided, without notice to change their tune to remove the Eco mode, and go normal and power mode.
I actually ordered (and their website and everything showed what I ordered) the Eco tune. I wasn't interested in more power at all. MPG gains claimed 5 MPG better with this tune.
The tune they sent me, was the normal/power one. After 3 attempts to try to get the tune I ordered, I gave up. They kept telling me, they don't do legacy tunes anymore. (whatever that means), even though, its what was ordered.
Only thing I got outta it, was loosing $300 bucks, and having a car that changed gears weird and less MPG. Sure, when it was in power mode, take off from a stop sign/light was OK, but hitting 2nd gear, you'd be pushed forward, as the car shifted at the wrong point.

After getting no where with them, I decided to trade the car out. So, as of this Jan. I no longer have a 2014 LT/RS. And glad of it!

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
5,900 Posts
How long ago have you talked to Vince? I haven't talked to hin since BNR was the reseller of Trifecta tunes way back when.
June of 2015.

·
Vendor
553 Posts
Customer service hasn't been an issue in years. The only time we had issues and delays was back in 2014 when PAL was released, and all the backlash from the community came about to take it back to how it was.

Yes, everyone had to wait during that time to receive an update. Why? Because we had to go back and redevelop the calibration to be more in line with what the community was asking for. Thats not something that happens over night. It took a few months of dev time to get an update out that worked on all versions of the Cruze/Sonic (2011/2012 were different controllers etc than 2013+). So, continuing to use a 3 year old incident to represent where we are now, and have been, is unfair and grossly misrepresenting TRIFECTA.

Apart from that, there have been no delays since and no issues with customer service apart from normal little hiccups here and there that everyone experiences. We have seen many posts from the community about competing products where they have been waiting for weeks for log reviews etc. No one company is exempt from this. Ask any new customer since then or "as of late" to see if they had to wait weeks for a reply from us or weeks to get their calibration service/support.

I've only seen one member in this thread that is a recent customer post. Everyone else that has posted in this thread either went through the PAL debacle or never tried TRIFECTA in the first place and is simply repeating what they have heard from others with no real personal experience to draw from. So, take what you see here with a grain of salt, OP. (the person that posted the opening post/thread starter, for those of you unfamiliar with the lingo)

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Loving all the input guys! I'm going to take every5hing here into great consideration before making a choice, I'm still months away even at this point but I wanna dive into the research now like with everything ! Very helpful!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
54 Posts
I went with BNR for two main reasons. 1. Great customer service and 2. The handheld does so much more than a crappy little wire. (and you do not have to lug a laptop around for the tune)

I have been looking at a tune for about 2 years. Trifecta WAS the top dog for awhile. However, they started doing some pretty shady things. They started blaming the vehicle concerns after the tune on the customer or the vehicle. They do not do unlimited tunes anymore (from what I understand). BNR does! In addition, people have had to wait WEEKS for tunes. I got my base tune within 48 hours of getting the handheld. Would have been sooner but my handheld was used to I had a few extra steps. I have turned in the datalog and it has been less then 2 days. I figure with more customization it may take a few days. So no worries for me. Seems like many get re tunes within a few days and they are pretty backed up right now with people getting tunes with their taxes. (not too backed up though). There are plenty of people on here who switched from Trifecta. If you have FB search for the Cruzetalk page. Tons of opinions there.

Now to describe the tune to you. If you have never driven a very fast car then you will smile from ear to ear the first time you hit the pedal. Even on the stock tune. I have always had slower cars so this tune for me woke the car up. Even on the base tune from BNR it shifts better, accelerates way better, and is all around fun as **** to drive.

Piece of advice from an outsider who was looking in. Go with BNR. If you want to save contact BNR and find a close by tuner. You can save money that way. However, it is good to have the handheld in case you go into limp mode or have to flash it back to stock for some reason.

Good luck choosing! (Choose BNR, it is a no brainer.)
U definitely answered some questions I had stirring up inside my head. I've also heard that trifecta was bad news. Also, to caveat on this, Vermont Tuning has some wicked parts for the Cruze as well. I think they have a better turbo upgrade than BNR, but that's just my opinion.. I can't wait to order my handheld from BNR. I had a couple questions to them directly and they responded within 48hrs and was straight to the point!

·
Registered
54 Posts
U definitely answered some questions I had stirring up inside my head. I've also heard that trifecta was bad news. Also, to caveat on this, Vermont Tuning has some wicked parts for the Cruze as well. I think they have a better turbo upgrade than BNR, but that's just my opinion.. I can't wait to order my handheld from BNR. I had a couple questions to them directly and they responded within 48hrs and was straight to the point!

Vermonttuning.com

1 - 20 of 31 Posts