Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please help. Working on my ex-wifes car. 2014 Cruz LS 1.8. Was over heating. Started with the P0128 code which is the temp sensors. I replaced both of those and the thermostat/ housing. Still overheats and loses a little coolant. I don’t see smoke out the tail... and oil and water are not mixing from what I can see. Car is running between 228 and 235 degrees F. I have burped the radiator 4 times. I’m lost. :(

·
Premium Member
2013 Cruze 1LT
775 Posts
How are you getting air out of the system, using the bleeder screw on the radiator? Any bubbles in overflow tank when it's running?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Fans working. No collapsed hoses. No leaks under. I’m scratching my head here. I am mechanically inclined, but my expertise is Jap cars.

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
Take a spark plug out and pressurize. Then watch for bubbles in the tank.

Sounds like it may be a very minor head gasket failure. A minor leak is going to be hard to detect. You can do a chemical test on the coolant as well but even that may not give an accurate result.

Could also be a heater core issue but save that puzzle for last cause getting to that is an adventure. Also make sure the water pump has adequate tension. If it’s not leaking most likely pump is fine.

·
Super Moderator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red
8,439 Posts
Please help. Working on my ex-wifes car. 2014 Cruz LS 1.8. Was over heating. Started with the P0128 code which is the temp sensors. I replaced both of those and the thermostat/ housing. Still overheats and loses a little coolant. I don’t see smoke out the tail... and oil and water are not mixing from what I can see. Car is running between 228 and 235 degrees F. I have burped the radiator 4 times. I’m lost. :(
What temperature should the Cruze be running at?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sounds like a head gasket to me my friend .... Can you do compression checks on the cylinders ? Can you pull the plugs?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Check by the oil cooler where the coolant line runs in sometimes it’ll burn off there without really even smoking or otherwise your lower radiator hose tends to have a small leak without even noticing it I ended up replacing every line in my 2011. They may not be mixing we might just need a seal or a new hose/pipe.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sounds like a head gasket to me my friend .... Can you do compression checks on the cylinders ? Can you pull the plugs?
Changes the thermostat on my sons 2012 Cruze three times in two years. The car only had about 35,000 miles on it in that period of time. It is a problem with the Cruze Chevy will not own up to. Sounds like it was

Also had to replace the transmission on the car at about the same mileage. Another problem with the 2012 Cruze Chevy does not own up to.
good luck!

·
Registered
800 Posts
Car is running between 228 and 235 degrees F.
That is where it is supposed to be running.

Seriously, are you getting any other other indications the car is over-heating besides the temp display (of 228-235)? Are you getting any warning messages? Is the temp gauge in the red or anywhere near it?

Are you still getting the P0128?

Doug

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sounds just like what happened to our 2014 Cruze, it ended up being a cracked head, the turbo was bad from the anti freeze, $ 4500 to have it fixed, good luck.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have 2011 1.4L about 205,000 miles. very small leak is usually the outlet, water pump, antifreeze fill bottle and hose clamp areas. Thermostat plastic inners will break and cause over heat condition. P.S use Mobil 1 14000 mile synthetic only. Same turbo

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have mine at the Chevy dealership right now the car said it was over heating the dealership said i need a new Chevy oil cap on mine

·
Administrator
25,371 Posts
OP said this is for a LS, which is the 1.8L non-turbo engine. I've moved this thread to the 1.8 powertrain forum.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is a normal temperature for the cruze. Mine is running 213 - 227. But it's a 1.6.
Replace the cap on the coolant expansion tank. 20 psi. It's suffering from fatigue and it starts bleeding coolant too soon.
Make sure you use DeX cool 50/50 with 260 degrees boiling temperature.
Also, check for leaks on the house running to the throttle body from the thermostat housing. There are 2 gaskets that tend to leak there.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts