Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so I have the base model stereo, with an Alpine Power Pack powering the 4 speakers and 2 tweeters (no issues with that) Had a mediocre amazon subwoofer amplifier that was "2500 watts" probably more like 600-800...didn't have any issues with it bass sounded good and clear, then it finally stopped working, bought a new kicker 1200.1 amp and now my bass sounds like crap...it's "choppy" if that makes sense, now matter how the amp is tuned, for quality, for volume, doesn't matter.

The best way to describe my issue is that the bass is OK until a lot of treble or vocals happen at the same time as the bass and then it's like the bass goes away and when the treble lessens the bass comes back (could just be coincidental that it seems to happen when treble happens, not sure), which at times makes it sound choppy and very inconsistent....does it with all songs all radio EQ settings all amp settings (low pass, hi pass, gain anywhere on the knob, bass boost anywhere on the knob and frequency cutoff anywhere).

The only thing I can think of is maybe my power wires are too small? In fact I know they're too small, and this amp is truly much more powerful than my old one, so I think it just can't supply the power needed for consistent bass maybe, so it dips....I just didn't want to drop a ton of money on big power wires if it wasn't likely to fix my problem.

ANY help at all would be appreciated. Sorry for the long winded post. Thanks!

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,273 Posts
What you are descibing is the frequencies being passed to your amp are being reproduced with your new amp and being sent to the sub ..

You will need to clean out these frequencies with a crossover .
Either an active or passive crossover should help with these frequencies .

·
Premium Member
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
What you are descibing is the frequencies being passed to your amp are being reproduced with your new amp and being sent to the sub ..

Is it possible to have an RCA crossover? I'd rather not mess with the speaker wires with the location of my LOC being behind the stereo and not easily accessible.

·
Premium Member
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

I guess I answered my own question, would this item work? http://www.amazon.com/FMOD-Crossove...UTF8&qid=1461483280&sr=8-2&keywords=fmod+70hz

I know about htz levels but no idea about dB slopes..

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,273 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.