Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So every few months i'll go out and check to see and find that a pile of white battery acid keeps getting built up on the positive battery terminal area. It actually is eating up the cable/terminal itself and even after cleaning it out completely it will come back. Any helpful words as to why this keeps happening and how to prevent. My battery had to get replaced two weeks ago and it was only about two years since I had replaced the battery before.

2012 LTZ 1.4T

·
Premium Member
5,639 Posts
Who replaced it? I only ask because my cables needed to be cleaned by G.M. and I assume they use some corrosion spray, something not always done?
battedit.JPG

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
Although a bit of corrosion is not uncommon, if you are seeing a large amount of green fur (looks like a school science experiment) rapidly growing as you describe, it indicates a failure of the seal area where the post comes through the top of the battery.

Various products can be used to coat the post to clamp interface but the intent is to reduce the corrosion that results due to the high amount of hydrogen vapors that the battery exhales while charging.......these products will not stop corrosion from post seepage.

Rob

·
Premium Member
947 Posts
After cleaning all the corrosion off, reattach, and then slather some petroleum jelly on the battery terminal and clamp.
I had the same problem as the OP. I ended up replacing the positive cable, as the corrosion got in between the strands and the connector was in lousy shape. About $45 from the dealer, and the the new post connector is a better design (this might be the case here).

Anyway, I slathered the post and connector with dielectric grease and haven't had problems since. It also helped with some strange radio related issues I've been having - extra long "reboots" after a start, clock losing (lots) of time, and iPod not being recognized intermittently at starts.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts