Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
I have a 2012 cruze 1.4ltz and sometimes the radio and display turns on in the middle if the night. I still have the original factory AGM, i will replace it but
1. Do i really need a AGM? It has start-stop.
2. why is the radio turning on when the car is locked? Dont wanna change battery and have it ruined by a electrical error?

·
Premium Member
2,634 Posts
I’m almost certain the 2012 being a gen 1 does NOT have stop start. No AGM isn’t needed but at today’s cost vs standard lead acid it’s a bad choice. AGM tend to last longer and do better in extreme conditions for a little more $$. They also seem to tolerate being drained and charged better.

have you checked on the negative battery cable recall? These cars do writers things due to that.

·
Premium Member
5,621 Posts
If you have an AGM battery, you should replace it with an AGM battery. You should also check out the battery cables. I didn't know Start Stop was a thing back in 2012?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Well this is just my opinion, based on previous cars I've replaced the battery in. Some cars "need" AGM batteries, and they are "better" in some ways. However, I don't believe you need an AGM battery. My advice to you is just get a regular battery with a slighter higher CCA than the one you have. Johnson Controls make about half the batteries in the USA, and one place that sells them cheap is Walmart. Although I can't find your exact CCA requirement online, I'm confident an Everstart MAXX-H6 battery will work for you. And they are now strangely the same price as the H5.
just my 2 cents, I included a link to help you.

Your radio issue, as Pandrad mentioned, here is the link for that recall.

Good luck

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Ok maybe i have a other thought of what start-stop is. It will turn off engine at redlight and when standing still in neutral.
I was meaning 2013.
there was no battery cable recall here in sweden atleast, but i know that the connection for the negative is a bit to large even when tightened.
i have never even looked at the battery since i got the car when it was new. Until a few weeks ago. It has some kind of sensor or something(s) on the neg cable connector, otherwise i would change it. Now i put a small nail between

·
Premium Member
2013 Cruze LT
1,905 Posts
Just cause there wasn’t a recall doesn’t mean is not defective. Just that they didn’t do the recall there.

·
Registered
20 Posts
It has some kind of sensor or something(s) on the neg cable connector
I'm pretty sure you are talking about the amp meter sensor. The sensor can be removed from the mount, however you will need to disconnect the cable from the frame side. The frame side connector is smaller and will fit through the sensor.

·
Premium Member
2,634 Posts
Ok maybe i have a other thought of what start-stop is. It will turn off engine at redlight and when standing still in neutral.
I was meaning 2013.
there was no battery cable recall here in sweden atleast, but i know that the connection for the negative is a bit to large even when tightened.
i have never even looked at the battery since i got the car when it was new. Until a few weeks ago. It has some kind of sensor or something(s) on the neg cable connector, otherwise i would change it. Now i put a small nail between
Stop start is when you come to a stop, under common conditions the engine sits off 100%. When foot is off the brake then the fast action starter kicks in. All Cruze would be susceptible to the negative cable problem so I’d check it.

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
4,758 Posts
I was meaning 2013.
That's start-stop, you're correct.

Since you're in Europe, I expect those powertrains got start-stop well before we did over in North America.

·
Premium Member
5,621 Posts
VW was using an early version of this technology in 1983 with the Europe-only Polo Formel E. You do want an AGM. Always thought AGM's were located in the trunk

·
Premium Member
4,758 Posts
VW was using an early version of this technology in 1983 with the Europe-only Polo Formel E. You do want an AGM. Always thought AGM's were located in the trunk
Nah - CTD's is an AGM and it's up front.

Reactions: Eddy Cruze

·
Premium Member
2,634 Posts
Can confirm what MP said. CTD comes with a ACdelco brand AGM. I doubt a standard lead acid would last too long on a diesel

he did say it is a LTZ. This is the first I heard any gen 1 had stop start. Maybe they got a LTZ diesel too.

·
Premium Member
2012 Cruze Eco 6 Speed
544 Posts
If you have an AGM battery, you should replace it with an AGM battery. You should also check out the battery cables. I didn't know Start Stop was a thing back in 2012?
I was told by the guy at Interstate that if my car does not have a AGM then I should not replace it with an AGM

·
Registered
40 Posts
Just a tip on the battery cable thing... if you have an electrician friend that has access to a high press tool have him repress the crimps near the battery.. I had weird problems with the radio randomly turning of while driving... fixed it and never had another problem.

·
Premium Member
4,758 Posts
Just a tip on the battery cable thing... if you have an electrician friend that has access to a high press tool have him repress the crimps near the battery.. I had weird problems with the radio randomly turning of while driving... fixed it and never had another problem.
Will it turn off and then back on again?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Will it turn off and then back on again?
Never had it turn off i think, just on at night. And sometimes the temperature on the display gies away and the sound also gone until i restart engine.
tes its aLTZ gas, no diesel. Battery in front

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Where us the negative cable attached on the non battery side? I will se if i can change that cable, anyone know the lenght? and thickness

·
Premium Member
1,619 Posts
I was told by the guy at Interstate that if my car does not have a AGM then I should not replace it with an AGM
He is backwards. If your car did not come with a standard flooded battery then it cannot use one. It could explode.

However replacing a standard flooded battery with AGM is fine. The only downside is it will not charge fully but this is insanely minor.

Some people got confused by this somewhere along the line to mean AGM on older vehicles is bad. Its not,

·
Premium Member
1,619 Posts
Where us the negative cable attached on the non battery side? I will se if i can change that cable, anyone know the lenght? and thickness
Like the engine? All the big negative cables go to the same spot. Just follow it from the battery.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts