Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Recently, I began having problems with the radio intermittently failing to recognize my iPod upon start-up (but not in ACC mode), and the clock would lose time - a lot of time. It would also take 30 seconds or more for the radio to even come on after starting the car. No codes popped or anything, and no other electrical issues showed. I thought it was the radio module going bad, but was going to wait until it failed to replace it.

Also, my fuel economy (Eco 6M) wasn't quite up to snuff, 2 or 3 MPG off what I expected.

I was poking around the engine bay and found a huge amount of corrosion on the positive battery terminal, and the positive cable itself was deteriorated and the securing bolt wouldn't tighten any longer. The cable itself had birdcaged at the battery connector and was corroded as well. Replaced it with a new unit from the dealer, and it was quite different. The old one was thin copper and the new one was much more substantial and the cable was sealed to the connector instead of merely crimped. I have a very early build 2012 (serial # 111111) and the two other Cruzes I have owned (117362 and 124136) were built only shortly thereafter in the same month and they had the newer design, so it probably was a change for 2012 and I got a leftover. If you have a 2011, you may want to inspect this cable and get it replaced. I don't have any pictures, sorry. I threw the old cable away before thinking to bring the issue up here.

That helped, but didn't fix the problem completely. I also noticed a constant charge cycle up to 15.0 volts instead of dropping to 13.5 as it should when charged, even after trickle charging the battery to full externally. So I replaced the battery, and upgraded to an AGM 760 CCA H6 group size battery from Advance Auto Parts IAW the discussion here: http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/36-audio-electronics/95930-cruze-battery-upgrade-options.html, just because it was a weight penalty free upgrade from the original.

That *still* didn't fix the problem completely, but again helped. I only very intermittently would not connect to the iPod, the clock lost a bit of time now and again, and the radio would come on right away nearly every time. And it still would constantly charge, but not at 15.0 volts as it did before, usually 14.6 volts or so. I inspected the negative battery terminal and cable, it looked fine. I disconnected it from the battery and body connection, cleaned all connection points, and reinstalled it, covering every connection with dielectric grease.

It appears to *finally* have solved these problems, although I haven't been able to drive it long enough to see if charging will drop off as it should.

Bottom line - if you are having minor electrical gremlins that make you think your radio is on the way out, check your charging system and ensure all connections are secure. The tiny current loss at the battery and ground connections is enough to keep those systems from working properly, without affecting more critical systems. It's the "canary in the coal mine" that might help avert dealing with major electrical failures and http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/25-s...al-coverage-14311-negative-battery-cable.html.

·
Premium Member
944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have to say, now that I've thought about it a little, the MPG was down because it was noticeably down on power. That was fixed, too; noticeably more peppy. I have the 1LT to thank for that; thank God I have a car handy with which to compare.

BTW, I think the 1LT 6M is much better suited to the 1.4T powerband. It's just more fun to drive.

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,272 Posts
Great write up ...Now ya know what time of the day IT is while your driving down the road ..
Ya know there were a lot of offerings for a Big 3 OFC cabling that in ITself would have only circumvented these behaviours of the OEM cables
Only because they are of a superior quality wire ...

I am glad that you were able to do the research necessary to draw the knowledge necessary to inspect the cables on your own .....

If you have the time and the fotitude left in you . You might as well start inspecting all of the ground straps for consistant contact ..............

Reactions: weimerrj
1 - 3 of 3 Posts