Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Posting this because from all the other threads on battery issues they seemed to be all gas models.

Little info, 2014 Cruze diesel, purchased used with 13k on it in May 2015. Love this little car. It was purchased new back in Aug of 2013 from the paperwork I found in the glove box. So it has been in service since then with a little over two years on the battery.

Having a problem when the car sits for 4 days that the batter voltage is down to 9 volts per my multi-meter. Car would not start when I turned the key, it just dimmed the lights and the wipers went on. Charged the battery. Went to start and it fired right up. Although it displayed in the DIC to roll driver window down and backup. Found that odd. Only did it after the first crank after charging the battery.

Used it for the next week and at times it seemed to crank slower but not 100% sure. Car sat for 4 days again as we went out of town. Came back. Same thing, dead battery.

So with a 2014 Cruze diesel with 22k miles on it now and after reading the other threads it seems that this is probably a bad battery. Does anyone know if the 3yr 36k warranty cover it by chance? Going to contact the dealer anyway to see what they tell me.

Again, posting this since it is a diesel, not sure if that makes a difference. Also does "special coverage 14311" come into play? I think this is for the neg battery cable replacement, correct?

·
Super Moderator
7,786 Posts
Covered by 3/36.

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. Sent an e-mail to my dealer. Waiting to see when to take it in.

·
Banned
260 Posts
2015 Diesel with 300 miles on it NEW, similar issue after leaving at airport for 10 days, nothing was left on and of coarse OnStar useless with dead battery. Battery totally DEAD would not jump start with booster battery, roadside assistance had to jump from truck for 5 mins to give enough charge to turnover. Otherwise always on the road 7days week so not much chance to see whether it would happen again if left idle for several days??? Although at times it seems that the engine cracks slower then usual.

Battery cables, ground terminals, battery all check ok. The only unusual thing observed is DIC voltage indication can be any where from 11.3V to 15.3V noting that anything below 12.6 is discharge battery state and 15.3 is overcharge state. This is what others have called "Smart" charging!!

·
Registered
319 Posts
That's the chevy Cruze Phatom! My dealer blamed mine on my radar detector ! Then I had to point out that the car should turn everything off after 10 minutes automaticly...! idiots

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2014 Chevy Cruze Diesel with the same issue. It has already been to the dealer several times for this issue, and it does not fail when it is there. Just got it back, and 6 days later the car is dead in the driveway. Nothing was left on, and the dealer still does not have any idea. One of the many computer systems on that vehicle is coming on and completely draining the battery. I have no idea which one. It is still under warrantee, and I am the original owner. If anyone else knows what the dealer did to fix this issue, I would take any suggestions.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Moving this to diesel section. There are lots of posts about battery failure in the diesels. Seems like the batteries only last a couple years. I had to have mine replaced last winter. Been fine ever since.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Yup. What diesel said. I had to replace mine this January. It was a champ for about 2.5 years and then bam! DEAD. Replaced the battery and all was well again.

·
Premium Member
4,139 Posts
Seems to me the US diesel is using an inferior battery as I haven't heard of any problems with the diesel in Australia. I have a 2012 I bought new and last November I went on a holiday on a cruise ship and was away for 22 days. When I got home the car started like I had used it the day before, no hesitation at all. It will be four years old in August and so far the battery is fine. Charge is between 12.6 and 14.1 and has been doing this since I bought it. My wife has a Hyundai Getz 1.5 petrol and it too started easily, but the battery is only about 2 years old.

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry, I thought I posted the results from my dealer visit.

Turns out they did the TSB on the battery cable and since then all has been fine. I take it the battery was not getting fully charged each time I drove it and so after a while it would just be low enough not to start. No issues since I took it in.

Now our 2011 Acadia needed a new battery this winter.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Sorry, I thought I posted the results from my dealer visit.

Turns out they did the TSB on the battery cable and since then all has been fine. I take it the battery was not getting fully charged each time I drove it and so after a while it would just be low enough not to start. No issues since I took it in.

Now our 2011 Acadia needed a new battery this winter.
You may have. This older thread was reactivated. :)

·
Registered
110 Posts
I've noticed that with my 2014 the lights in the mirror are on sometimes at night..I know they are for the on star system but why does the lights in the mirror stay on...I don't have a paid service with on star

·
Premium Member
906 Posts
Why don't you put it in "transportation mode" before you leave it for multiple days.. It will keep everything from drawing power off the battery, even a little draw adds up over time..

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
175 Posts
Ok. That link refers to 2011 - 2013 vehicles. The Cruze diesel wasn't released until 2014. Has anybody tried this on a North American Cruze Diesel?
- I'm hesitant to turn the key to start when the engine is running. Then again, if it is electronic as opposed to a straight ahead wire connection, maybe there's protection in software.

·
Premium Member
4,139 Posts
Ok. That link refers to 2011 - 2013 vehicles. The Cruze diesel wasn't released until 2014. Has anybody tried this on a North American Cruze Diesel?
- I'm hesitant to turn the key to start when the engine is running. Then again, if it is electronic as opposed to a straight ahead wire connection, maybe there's protection in software.
I have never heard of a disabling mode short of those switches you put on the power cable. I have a 2012 Australian diesel and after leaving it parked for 22 days when on holiday it started straight away. I just turned it off and left it, no special preparation. We also have a Hyundai Getz, petrol engined hatchback, and it started straight away also.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
Ok. That link refers to 2011 - 2013 vehicles. The Cruze diesel wasn't released until 2014.
The article was written on August 21, 2012, so that's why it stops at the 2013 model year.

I'm hesitant to turn the key to start when the engine is running. Then again, if it is electronic as opposed to a straight ahead wire connection, maybe there's protection in software.
The computer controls the starter. Your "start key" is nothing more then a request to the computer.. (Which it will ignore if you don't have the right fob or electronic code.)

Try this test: next time you start the car, just flick it. Don't hold it until it catches. I think you'll find it doesn't make any difference because it's the computer controlling the starter - not you.

Reactions: Aussie

·
Registered
175 Posts
OK. So if your car is in transportation mode, do you open the door with the key, then start the car and run through the process? The ecu must be powered on continuously for the key to work. What gets turned off versus left on? Can the car be driven in this mode? Just wondering, I doubt that I will ever leave the car long enough for this to be useful.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts