Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We have an 8 mo old gen 2 2016 cruze live in ne usa temps vary but not freezing now, batttery is in trunk which did concern me to start with and now I find it sweats like crazy the terminals all of it soaked. the well is dry . They say they replaced the brake light gaskets etc (in for oil change ). It does go dry or they dried it, as it was wet previous to service last time but not after. Now:
MY BACKSEAT WAS DAMP in the seat belt wells if put finger in them specifically behind drivers seat the double well snap part. The hole where back seat belts are mounted down in, was wet (anyone else with this?) I pulled seat up as much as I could (couldnt get front edge hooks undone on seat itself had to pull up in back against back rest) and it felt and looked dry but some dampness near seat belt mounts on car body into seat.
That led me to re check battery well, it was dry but again battery soaked all over.
Is this normal condensation or what? And why are the seat belt wells inside car wet? I cant have a moldy car and what about wear on battery terminals? Does electronics (battery) put off something heat or something that makes the metal back there sweat more? Shouldnt chevy of known this?
Thanks for input.

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
I am certain your vehicle is still allowing water in the cabin or has saturated carpeting insulation.

The description you have given indicates the 'jute', the insulation between the carpets and floorboards is saturated.
This will not dry without the carpeting being fully removed (obviously, this means the seats and console and everything else on the carpet gets removed as well).
Sometimes, there is so much water in the insulation that the dealer ends up replacing all the carpets.

The moisture you keep seeing collecting on the battery case is condensation from the dampness trying to come out of the insulation......If this is not resolved soon the floorpans will begin to rust out from inside the car.

Rob

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
5,909 Posts
There's definitely a leak somewhere. It is no fault of the battery.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
Batteries do not sweat. They can leak battery acid, but that's completely different. Either your leak is not fixed or the car hasn't been completely dried.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok so severe battery sweating in trunk in normal? Will it dry itself over and over? Ive read this battery is a glass pack type and is sealed? As for the car inside now Im freaked out a bit, I was hoping it was normal car condensation or something. wouldnt I feel wet carpet or something if it was all that? Under the seat was dry except for small dampness in seat belt hole area when i yanked back seat out. I admit to not having a lot of faith in dealer service as we've had bad experience in past and even now when I ask certain questions they sorta blow me off. I have a medical problem right now so I better get on this as I will hospitalized very soon. Any further input welcome.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What would be the source for this tho'? That light fixture thing they supposedly fixed? How do i get them to check this thoroughly? I have asthma so this is critical as mold will kill me.

I am certain your vehicle is still allowing water in the cabin or has saturated carpeting insulation.

The description you have given indicates the 'jute', the insulation between the carpets and floorboards is saturated.
This will not dry without the carpeting being fully removed (obviously, this means the seats and console and everything else on the carpet gets removed as well).
Sometimes, there is so much water in the insulation that the dealer ends up replacing all the carpets.

The moisture you keep seeing collecting on the battery case is condensation from the dampness trying to come out of the insulation......If this is not resolved soon the floorpans will begin to rust out from inside the car.

Rob

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
Ok so severe battery sweating in trunk in normal?
Moisture around the battery isn't normal. It's not the battery sweating, the moisture is coming from somewhere else.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just went out again and checked battery its dry again its done this repeatedly now. It is sweated all over then drys. BUT I stuck my hand / fingers thru seat seam and belt holes you can literally feel the trunk liner and flipping your hand you can feel the batter well starting edge. If its sweating its probable it sweating the metal at seat bases its right there.
I will have to call them, this battery sweats on and off like crazy but having them catch it will be the hard part. Any other ideas? Oh we do park on a grade, we have too so I backed in today so its nose up. But cars shouldnt come w/ a park flat only deal! It sorta creeps me out my battery is so easily felt thru seat back, geez people sit kids back there! We dont but still. I love my cruze and how it drives and rides but if I knew this Id of looked for a car that did not have this battery business in trunk. But looking for a manual tran without battery in trunk would of narrowed it even more for us.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wouldnt the well be wet if it wasnt just sweating? Im confused about the whole deal. It goes away totally then returns.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just called a few repair shops and battery dealers and they say its really abnormal for a glass pack sealed battery unless is cracked but Id see acid or colors so its prob a leak in the car. makes me wonder did they really fix the gasket on back tail light? I hate to accuse but it was in for oil change an rotate and it was late in day and it was all finished really quickly. They claim our seat recall thing was fine too, all that in an hour? hmmm? I hate dealing w/ dealers just had bad exp in past and we are nice people, prob too nice.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
how would I take liner down and see if they did the gasket business? Could I tell? How hard is it and will they know? I dont really have tools around we rent. Or do I just hope theyre honest. Its getting them to see the wet battery at the right time before it disappears that will be difficult.

·
Registered
253 Posts
First off having a battery in the trunk is perfectly safe. They have been doing this for years on different makes and models. Its done for a couple reasons. One is the battery is better protected from heat and cold. It also has to do with balance the weight of the car.

Its possible they did fix the leak but didn't realize you had water in other places. Have you check the spare tire area? There could be water in there. Also do you have sunroof? If so one of those drain tubes could be leaking. Put your hand under the seat in back near your feet and see if you fill moisture. But if you getting that much condensation you have leak or standing water somewhere. Take pictures to prove it also.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
No sunroof no wet carpet unless its not enough yet. only seat belt wells to metal and some fabric back seat I pulled it out. But massivily wet battery and dry well weird. It drys itself and comes back again. I cant determine if it syncs w/ rain but Id guess it must. I will give pictures a shot but its kinda hard to shoot that area and the battery is black the moisture is a touch and see kinda thing I think.

First off having a battery in the trunk is perfectly safe. They have been doing this for years on different makes and models. Its done for a couple reasons. One is the battery is better protected from heat and cold. It also has to do with balance the weight of the car.

Its possible they did fix the leak but didn't realize you had water in other places. Have you check the spare tire area? There could be water in there. Also do you have sunroof? If so one of those drain tubes could be leaking. Put your hand under the seat in back near your feet and see if you fill moisture. But if you getting that much condensation you have leak or standing water somewhere. Take pictures to prove it also.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yes because I had to lift it up from back of seat where it meets chair back and thought it was going to rip something espec' forcing it back down. It was frustrating I couldnt just remove it. It seems attached by clips and fabric at front edge.

Anyone have the How To for removing the back seat bottom in the Gen 2? Sounds like the next step.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I hope the dealer isnt a buffoon about this since Im headed for a cancer test procedure and dont need this crap right now in my new car.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts