Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Hopefully I am not making another thread on this issue. I know that I've read about the OEM batteries on the Cruzes not being the greatest. After about 2.5 years I think my battery may be failing.

When I went to leave work today, my battery was about 11.5 volts before starting and 11.2 right after starting. The car was sitting for about 10 hours. I also noticed when I am driving my reading stays at 15.4 volts from the alternator constantly charging. Does it sound like the battery is going bad or is it just from being 10 degrees?

·
Super Moderator
7,786 Posts
Consider it a warning.

If you're still under the three / 36 bumper-to-bumper then I'd have the dealer test the battery on the Midtronics machine to see if it can be warrantied.

Otherwise, start shopping for a new battery.

Best batteries on the market are Odyssey and Northstar. ~$300

Best value, i.e. Best battery for the money is Kirkland from Costco. ~$200

·
Administrator
25,608 Posts
Definite signs your battery is nearing end of life.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I charged the battery some on the charger this morning. My results were still about the same. I'll definitely have to check into getting the battery replaced under warranty.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update: I took the car into the dealer today and my battery was indeed bad at 23000 miles and 2.5 years. They replaced it for free with the upgraded ACDelco gold battery because that's all they had in stock. I'm pretty happy because it saved me 175 bucks.

FYI my battery was the updated 525 CCA battery.

·
Premium Member
5,640 Posts
Update: I took the car into the dealer today and my battery was indeed bad at 23000 miles and 2.5 years. They replaced it for free with the upgraded ACDelco gold battery because that's all they had in stock. I'm pretty happy because it saved me 175 bucks.

Pretty cool deal! My Dealer had 3 AC Delco Batteries on display today and they were priced quite reasonably although they weren't Gold series, they were the PS series

·
Banned
260 Posts

So ...after replacing the battery what kind of readings do you get with the new battery under the same operating conditions and temperatures you described in your original post (10 hrs setting all night at 10F, before starting, right after starting and after driving your normal route when you saw 15.4V)?

Reactions: Blasirl and Tomko

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So ...after replacing the battery what kind of readings do you get with the new battery under the same operating conditions and temperatures you described in your original post (10 hrs setting all night at 10F, before starting, right after starting and after driving your normal route when you saw 15.4V)?
Well, it's 50 degrees now so I can't comment. I do notice the alternator running less and the car starts faster.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Just an FYI: the battery will have a different warranty than your car. In other words, if you are out of your 36k Mike warranty, the battery "month" warranty may still be good.

You can look at the stickies and see I replaced mine with an Optima Redtop 34R. Fits nicely and has 800CCA. Cost was $175 out the door.

·
Banned
260 Posts
Well, it's 50 degrees now so I can't comment. I do notice the alternator running less and the car starts faster.
Well... its 50F degrees out now and not 10F like before so one would expect the car would start faster. Alternator running less... I assume means the voltage DIC is now lower then the 15.4V you previously reported. It was nice that your dealer step up to the plate checked your battery and replaced it free of charge but not sure that's the end of the story?

But without a full check out of your charging system you may still have problems and that might be the real cause behind your battery failure so soon. Historically there at least appears to be a problem with the crimps on the high current battery cables and not just the short one between the Batt neg terminal and frame.

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
Consider it a warning.

If you're still under the three / 36 bumper-to-bumper then I'd have the dealer test the battery on the Midtronics machine to see if it can be warrantied.

Otherwise, start shopping for a new battery.

Best batteries on the market are Odyssey and Northstar. ~$300

Best value, i.e. Best battery for the money is Kirkland from Costco. ~$200
Op has a gas Cruze, I don't think Costco battery for gas would be 200. Costco when I have had issues with batteries just takes them back and doesn't test which is nice.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So I have another observation from my issue. Because the alternator was constantly charging, my last tank of gas had plummeted to about 26 MPG from 31 MPG. Since the new battery was installed, my MPG has shot back up to around 31.5 for 100 miles.

Reactions: obermd
1 - 13 of 13 Posts