Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I believe I need a new battery even though it is 4.5 years old. Charging system works fine. Checked it myself. Battery will not hold a charge either from the alternator nor my charger. Common to last only 4.5 years?

Thoughts

Dyver

·
Administrator
25,608 Posts
You're well within the known end of life range for car batteries. Time to replace it.

·
Premium Member
5,640 Posts
I believe I need a new battery even though it is 4.5 years old. Charging system works fine. Checked it myself. Battery will not hold a charge either from the alternator nor my charger. Common to last only 4.5 years?

Thoughts

Dyver
That's 31 in Dog Years! 2 to 5 years is the average life for a car battery.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
You did well. I think we've seen posts that indicate a number of them have gone at 3.

·
Super Moderator
5,127 Posts
I am looking at @ 2.5 right now and not planning on replacing till I "need to" I never really paid attention to how long a battery lasts. I think I replaced them before a long winter or something or moreover typically never owned a car that long. Of course this was b4 I was married and had bills! LOL but 4.5 years is a good long time. I would say replace if needed.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
yes I just replaced mine after five years of ownership plus it was sitting on the lot 6 months before I bought it.
It still started and ran everything fine it just didn't pass the test at the dealer.

·
Administrator
25,608 Posts
USA National average for battery life is 52 months.

Anything past that is a gift........anything less is just unlucky.

Rob
Is this from first charged or manufactured and how does sitting on the dealership's lot affect this? Trying to learn here.

Thanks Rob.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks to all. So i am going to call the Cruze a car that gets short battery life. The only car I've ever had that was short on battery life is my Corvette. 3 to 4 years. I commonly see 6 to 7 years and I've owned many cars. Regardless in my opinion this car is not durable. There is no reason, regardless of warantee that it should have needed so much so soon: valve COVER replacement, turbo replacement, water pump AND hoses, battery... I love this car but if this is the new GM they aren't any better.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,202 Posts
Thanks to all. So i am going to call the Cruze a car that gets short battery life. The only car I've ever had that was short on battery life is my Corvette. 3 to 4 years. I commonly see 6 to 7 years and I've owned many cars. Regardless in my opinion this car is not durable. There is no reason, regardless of warantee that it should have needed so much so soon: valve COVER replacement, turbo replacement, water pump AND hoses, battery... I love this car but if this is the new GM they aren't any better.
Supplier quality. Something GM really needs to crack down on.

I fully expect to get 5+ years out of my replacement battery (it's an AGM battery).

·
Registered
14 Posts
I replaced my battery after 5 years because it was starting to degrade and I didn't want to be left stranded. Replaced it with a Sears Diehard AGM and couldn't be happier with it's performance.

·
Administrator
25,608 Posts
Just like us my friend.......the first day it is energized, the clock starts running.

Rob
So that means my battery is at least 56 months old. Car assembled in Oct 2011 so I know the battery was charged no later than Oct 2011.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Yep, I wouldn't be displeased with 4.5 years. My '85 GMC is drawing on an Everstart that's dated 8/11, but given its track record it just seems to maintain batteries exceptionally well.

·
Premium Member
481 Posts
The Cruze did not kill the battery in 4.5 years, the battery dies in 4.5 years. There is a big difference. Batteries generally last between 4-5 years so you had a good run, go ahead and pay $100-200 for another 4-5 years of battery and move on. Condemning a car for the battery ONLY lasting 4.5 years is pretty petty and frankly kinda crazy! Especially living in a climate like Chicago where your car and battery have experienced very extreme weather and temperature which is one of the hardest things on a battery and one of the major causes for battery failure. Also, did you EVER (even once) leave your lights on or anything else that would cause the battery to go dead? Discharging the battery will also shorten its usable life.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts