Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I wanted some opinions.

I replaced my stock battery after noticing my DIC voltage for my battery was at 11.7V while the car was off and after starting, it would never drop below 14.7V - 15.3V. I also noted the starts were getting weaker, I confirmed the battery voltage was 11.8V with my multi-meter, and I didn't like the fact my alternator was constantly charging so I made sort of a snap decision. (Rather than spending some time doing research like I should have) I bought an Everstart size H6/48 730 CCA from wal-mart while I was shopping.

After installing it, the DIC read 12.1V (car off) and 15.2V (car on) so I figured maybe it wasn't charged all the way from the store. I drove 4 hours to my parents house and 4 hours back, by the time I got back it finally dropped to 12.6V and toggled between that and 12.5V for a little while. After a couple days of relatively short trips (below 20 miles per drive) the alternator is back to charging all the time.

I am contemplating returning the Everstart and buying an Interstate battery. Unfortunately since I already traded my stock battery core to wal-mart for a $14 discount, I won't have a core to trade in on the next one. Should I bite the bullet and just upgrade to a better battery to avoid over-working my alternator? Or am I just being extremely paranoid and irrational? Is it possible my alternator is already on the way out and isn't providing enough amps to keep up?

It's worth noting I installed an after market sound system which works in the following manner: I have a main power cable connected to the main car battery. It connects to a manually switched 80 amp relay which, when energized, is used to charge a second deep cycle 36AH battery in my trunk. The second battery supplies power to the amp. (I also have a capacitor connected to the 2nd battery/amp) 70% of the time I don't flip the switch to the relay so all of my aftermarket installations are completely disconnected from the car's electrical system. I only turn the amp/subs/6x9s on when I want big sound, usually on longer trips. I may need to just upgrade the alternator to one that can provide more amps.

What are your thoughts on this situation?
Should I:
A) Get a better battery?
B) Get a better alternator?
C) Both
D) Neither
E) Shut up and stop posting

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
It's worth noting I installed an after market sound system which works in the following manner: I have a main power cable connected to the main car battery.
How is it connected? I'm interested in the battery current sensor in the main battery ground lead. Depending on how you connect it, the BCM is going to mistake your add-on as battery current.

·
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How is it connected? I'm interested in the battery current sensor in the main battery ground lead. Depending on how you connect it, the BCM is going to mistake your add-on as battery current.
I drilled and tapped the large chunk of metal that leads to the starter fuse. It might as well be connected directly to the positive terminal of the battery itself, this way was just more convenient. All my negatives are grounded to the chassis directly.

Vehicle Auto part Engine Car Fuel line

·
Registered
589 Posts
If you do decide on a new battery skip the Interstate and go to your dealer. I just bought an A/C Delco Gold Professional grade at my dealer for $125.00 with a 42 month free replacement warranty! I think the Interstate battery only had a 30 month free replacement.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I am having battery issues too just hope i last few more days i cant listen to music anymore and it resets even pops the trunk at start up sometimes.

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
I am having battery issues too just hope i last few more days i cant listen to music anymore and it resets even pops the trunk at start up sometimes.
Have you had the negative battery cable replaced with the updated part?

Age of battery and model year of car would help too.

Rob

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.